|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:01 - 25 Mar 2014 Post subject: Crap in fuel tank - some sort of resin like substance |
 |
|
Hi guys,
I've been chasing a fuel starvation issue on my GS500 for a while now. She runs perfect at any rpm and at any speed, until you go over 70 mph for over 25 seconds or so, and then what I presume happens is the float bowls are draining faster than they fill up and she chokes and coughs and splutters until they catch up again.
First I cleaned out the carbs, all good, then I cleaned the fuel tap, all good in there too. So I thought I'd drain the tank, clean the filter etc. Drain went fine, filter was pretty clean for a 25 year old bike and also fine, then I go to move the fuel tank and hear a load of clanking.
There's bits of this stuff in there ranging from finger nail sized thin pieces, to a massive clump of it that knocks around inside that is probably 8x8cm and about 4cm thick - clearly none of this stuff is doing any good. I got a lot of it out by shaking, but some is larger than the fuel cap hole and will never come out and I don't want to spend eternity shaking my fuel tank. Is there something I can put in that will disolve this crap and then I can flush it out with something? Also, any idea what it is?
TL;DR resin shit in fuel tank how can I get it out
Many thanks! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Amber Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Amber Phoenix Traffic Copper

Joined: 01 Feb 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:06 - 25 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Probably some kinds of tank seal to fix a leak or just tackle rust. ____________________ Beginner Biker Adventures Blog
Yamaha FZ6 S2 2007 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Az |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Az World Chat Champion

Joined: 16 Apr 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:37 - 25 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
It does look like an old tank sealer. Instructions for getting rid of it, and then de-rusting the tank if necessary, are here: https://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/petrol_tank_cleaning_and_rust_removal.html
I've de-rusted a good few tanks, the method there is the best and cheapest one that I have come across. Just bear in mind that strong acid will attack aluminium alloy, so remove the fuel tap and cap. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| - |
This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
|
 - Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nipedley |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nipedley Scooby Slapper
Joined: 09 Aug 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:31 - 26 Mar 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for the info, that looks like exactly what I need
Since the link calls for the tank to be sealed, if I couldn't use the tap or cap how would you go about sealing the tank?
It does look like a poorly executed old liner.. Some of it is in sheets that look like they would have gone around the tank, and some of it is just massive clumps. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mudcow007 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mudcow007 World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|