Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My first off :-(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Jan 2005    Post subject: My first off :-( Reply with quote

...and I don't even get the first off of 2005 Sad (Wildcat?)

Took my bike out for a ride today, as it was so sunny. Managed about half an hour before my hands got a bit cold and I went home for a break. On my dad's advice I decided to go back out and do my route backwards to mix things up. Due to my unbelievably bad sense of direction I took a wrong turn and ended up going round one of those bends that seem to just keep on coming.

Missed the apex by about half a mile Rolling Eyes, front tire hit the curb and weeeeeee Shocked Sick . I go flying on to the verge. The thumb on my right hand hit the ground first, followed swiftly by my head. A friendly car stopped to help and offer a mobile phone. The guy came off his bike when he was 16 and he hasn't ridden one since, so obviously sympathetic. Also a biker pulled over just to check - even though the car was still there - top bloke! Thumbs Up

Damage to me: Sprained thumb currently hurting like hell.

Damage to bike: Headlight screen forced through, dislocated gear lever (fixed at roadside), cracked side fairing, rear left indicator hanging by a thread. The rest of the bike is so completely caked in mud I can't see anything else. There was so much mud under the front mudguard I had to remove it from the bike before the wheel would turn.

Anyway, mostly mud-related damage and some irritating cosmetics to be sorted out after a long concussion-induced slumber. Assuming I have the use of my thumb tomorrow.

Oh, the other annoying thing is that my dad doesn't believe/doesn't care about the single use helmet rule. So there is no way he's going to pay for a new lid. I did land on grass, but my head hit the ground quite hard on my left temple area. If I had any money at all I would get a new one straight away, but I don't. I know there's been loads of posts recently about this but what do we think? New lid or not?

Paul Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 02 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your accident mate. You don't seem to be having a lot of luck just lately, but at least you are getting it out of the way now, I still have my first off to come! Confused

As you know I'm as new to this biking malarkey as you, but there is no way that I would use a helmet again if I had been in a crash and banged it. Someone else posted on here not so long ago saying that helmets are designed to take one hit and one hit only!

I know it's a lot of money to get a new one, but it's better than ending up seriously injured... or worse!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 02 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new moto-x helmet off ebay for £24.95 shipped.

It's certified to the same standard as other helmets so just as safe, just goes to show they don't have to be expensive.

That's just as a spare to my Dainese Ergon.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:25 - 03 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have my first off to come!



Dont you dare bin that SR, I managed not to!

I had my first off 6 days after my CBT...hurt like feck...never again
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0ni
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That poor CB! You bad bad man!

Thumb ok yet?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 06 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ni wrote:
That poor CB! You bad bad man!

Thumb ok yet?


Embarassed Whistle Neutral Lol, yeah, the poor girl is taking a beating at the mo. Well, to make it up to her I spent the entire day today with my hands covered in either oil, WD40 or turtle wax car shampoo. The fairing I fixed with fibreglass goop from the back. There is still a hairline crack on the surface but you can't see it unless you know where to look. The indicator I fixed with superglue. The headlight was undamaged once all the mud was removed and that goes for the rest of the bike too.

I think it's cleaner now than in the photo in my sig Shocked, wish I had a digicam to post another pic. I'm quite pleased with the job I have done and I hereby swear never to ride outside of my limits again Angelic

The thumb is healing nicely, but my neck is going to take a few days longer. I didn't realise I had damaged it until the morning after. Must have yanked it when my head went down.

Paul Smile

EDIT: I even washed the tyres Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

foxbat
Nova Slayer



Joined: 24 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 06 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a jinxed bike there Meyrick Very Happy Wink

(Off topic ? - sorry) Is your bike from Ramoto in B'Mouth btw? I got one of mine from them. Seem a pretty good bunch.

foxbat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 05 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 06 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxbat wrote:
Sounds like you have a jinxed bike there Meyrick Very Happy Wink


Shocked Shhh!

foxbat wrote:
Is your bike from Ramoto in B'Mouth btw?


Indeed it is. Saw it on their website and figured it was worth travelling for. My dad drove me down with a hired bike trailer. Yeah, seem like genuine guys, I may go back when I trade up to 33bhp+.

Now then! I finally found the correct tyre pressures when I was cleaning my bike (stamped on the chain guard - doh! Doh!). Anyway, checked the pressures and get this:

Front = 25psi should be 29.0psi
Back = 22psi should be 32.6psi Shocked

Could this have made the bike handle a bit 'funny' round the dreaded corner?

Paul Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steve09
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 25 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:42 - 06 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes,
hehe very impoortnat to have them correct if its too low (your back one) it will sorta slip outwards if utry to lean to much,basaclly i find if tires are low like tht if the bikes not dead uprigth u can feel it sliping away,
cheers
steve
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.27 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 63.4 Kb