|
|
| Author |
Message |
| mysterious_rider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mysterious_rider World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Sep 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:25 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkzxLCytxDsxnavngLxVNRg.jpg
Crivit 1 piece waterproof thing.
But, as the zip is fucked and the velcro is somewhat shit, I pop it under my textiles. What gets through the textiles won't ruin my work clothes, where as the other way the wind blew it open, got textiles soaked and ruined work clothes. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 08:29 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I use either gore-tex or decidedly non-motorcycle specific heavy duty PVC garments (currently using a deep sea fishermans jacket).
If plastic trousers are no longer waterproof, it's time to throw them in the bin because they must have a hole in. Unless it's a small hole you can glue a patch over. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:32 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Leather, oil it.
"Plastic", if you mean cordura then I wouldn't bother trying. Cordura itself isn't waterproof, it's the lining that's supposed to keep the wet out. I've not had any luck re-proofing my RST 'sinaqua' gear using TX products. Gore-Textm might be a different proposition.
Waterproof over the top do the best job, IMO. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| barrkel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 barrkel World Chat Champion
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:02 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I wear my goretex pro-shell suit when commuting or touring in expected bad / mediocre weather. RRP is over 1k, but it is very very good.
I recently bought an "Elka Working Xtreme Thermal Coverall" that I used when heading over to northern Italy over Easter. I wore them over my leather 2-piece when the weather warranted it. I wanted them for the thermal effect, not just the waterproofing. They work well, but are somewhat bulky - about the size of a football when packed into a compression sack, which I bought separately for the purpose. ____________________ Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doomsnite |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doomsnite Traffic Copper

Joined: 19 Nov 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pinkyfloyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pinkyfloyd Super Spammer

Joined: 20 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Commuter_Tim |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Commuter_Tim World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 May 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| barrkel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 barrkel World Chat Champion
Joined: 30 Jul 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:28 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Commuter_Tim wrote: | | barrkel wrote: | I wear my goretex pro-shell suit when commuting or touring in expected bad / mediocre weather. RRP is over 1k, but it is very very good.
|
£1k?! to stay dry?
I would happily have the North Sea dumped on my head before spending that kind of cash on waterproofing. |
I spent £150 on the jacket (reduced from £550, discontinued line), was so impressed with the quality that I spent about £300 on the trousers (reduced from over £500). Here's a review of a very similar jacket and my trousers:
https://www.visordown.com/product-features/tested-held-cardona-jacket-frontino-trousers/20300.html
I have the Tortona jacket, which is slightly different but very similar features (magnets in the pockets etc.). Here's a review of the jacket:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/products/productsresults/leathers-jackets-suits/2010/november/nov1010-review-held-tortona-jacket/
| Quote: | The quality: this is the best piece of textile kit I have ever worn |
Perfectly waterproof, have done at least 30k in the jacket. For about 10 months of the UK year, the jacket is what I put on at least twice a day. The trousers only come out when it's actually raining out, I'm touring in bad weather, or I'm having a semi-spirited ride on my geared bike in winter. ____________________ Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|