Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


water proofing stuff?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:22 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: water proofing stuff? Reply with quote

Any of you guys waterproof leathers or plastic trousers? What do you use?
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:25 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkzxLCytxDsxnavngLxVNRg.jpg

Crivit 1 piece waterproof thing.

But, as the zip is fucked and the velcro is somewhat shit, I pop it under my textiles. What gets through the textiles won't ruin my work clothes, where as the other way the wind blew it open, got textiles soaked and ruined work clothes.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:29 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use either gore-tex or decidedly non-motorcycle specific heavy duty PVC garments (currently using a deep sea fishermans jacket).

If plastic trousers are no longer waterproof, it's time to throw them in the bin because they must have a hole in. Unless it's a small hole you can glue a patch over.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather, oil it.

"Plastic", if you mean cordura then I wouldn't bother trying. Cordura itself isn't waterproof, it's the lining that's supposed to keep the wet out. I've not had any luck re-proofing my RST 'sinaqua' gear using TX products. Gore-Textm might be a different proposition.

Waterproof over the top do the best job, IMO.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear my goretex pro-shell suit when commuting or touring in expected bad / mediocre weather. RRP is over 1k, but it is very very good.

I recently bought an "Elka Working Xtreme Thermal Coverall" that I used when heading over to northern Italy over Easter. I wore them over my leather 2-piece when the weather warranted it. I wanted them for the thermal effect, not just the waterproofing. They work well, but are somewhat bulky - about the size of a football when packed into a compression sack, which I bought separately for the purpose.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
https://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkzxLCytxDsxnavngLxVNRg.jpg

Crivit 1 piece waterproof thing.

But, as the zip is fucked and the velcro is somewhat shit, I pop it under my textiles. What gets through the textiles won't ruin my work clothes, where as the other way the wind blew it open, got textiles soaked and ruined work clothes.

Why would you where that over textiles and not just waterproof textiles?
____________________
Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomsnite wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
https://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkzxLCytxDsxnavngLxVNRg.jpg

Crivit 1 piece waterproof thing.

But, as the zip is fucked and the velcro is somewhat shit, I pop it under my textiles. What gets through the textiles won't ruin my work clothes, where as the other way the wind blew it open, got textiles soaked and ruined work clothes.

Why would you where that over textiles and not just waterproof textiles?


Because:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=287698
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:15 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
I wear my goretex pro-shell suit when commuting or touring in expected bad / mediocre weather. RRP is over 1k, but it is very very good.


Shocked
£1k?! to stay dry?

I would happily have the North Sea dumped on my head before spending that kind of cash on waterproofing.
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
barrkel wrote:
I wear my goretex pro-shell suit when commuting or touring in expected bad / mediocre weather. RRP is over 1k, but it is very very good.


Shocked
£1k?! to stay dry?

I would happily have the North Sea dumped on my head before spending that kind of cash on waterproofing.

I spent £150 on the jacket (reduced from £550, discontinued line), was so impressed with the quality that I spent about £300 on the trousers (reduced from over £500). Here's a review of a very similar jacket and my trousers:

https://www.visordown.com/product-features/tested-held-cardona-jacket-frontino-trousers/20300.html

I have the Tortona jacket, which is slightly different but very similar features (magnets in the pockets etc.). Here's a review of the jacket:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/products/productsresults/leathers-jackets-suits/2010/november/nov1010-review-held-tortona-jacket/
Quote:
The quality: this is the best piece of textile kit I have ever worn

Perfectly waterproof, have done at least 30k in the jacket. For about 10 months of the UK year, the jacket is what I put on at least twice a day. The trousers only come out when it's actually raining out, I'm touring in bad weather, or I'm having a semi-spirited ride on my geared bike in winter.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.88 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 64.32 Kb