Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


For my own peace of mind...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:44 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

Hi all

Now that I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section, and not the New Biker section, without feeling too preemptive! Very Happy

So I've decided to buy my mates 2005 CBR600RR as my first big bike. I've heard all the usual arguments for and against my decision to get a 600 Supersport as a first bike and I'd like to think I've made a calculated and well thought out decision about my choice.

Anyway, despite my keenness to get the RR I know the real test will be when I come to use it day in day out for my 20 mile commutes and weekend rides. My question to the supersport commuters is two fold;

1. how far do you commute and is it comfortable and easy to get used to it? I understand it won't be as comfortable as a Hornet or XJ6 or the like.
2. From experience, how does the RR compare against bikes of similar class, eg. GSXR600, R6, in terms of ridability and comfort? At this stage I'm not so fussed about performance as I know any 600 supersport has more power than I could envisage tapping into.

To clarify, I'm not looking for someone to help me make up my mind, I've already done that. I just want to know if there is a better option the same class that I might have overlooked.

thanks in advance for the advice and insults. Smile

Ash
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:
...I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section,...

You must control that inferiority complex if you're going to dominate and maintain your road position with other vehicles on the road.

Don't get hung up about being new. There's people on CBT for years and years so that's not a criteria for being new.

Just ride, enjoy, learn, repeat. Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

map wrote:
LondonCommuter wrote:
...I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section,...

You must control that inferiority complex if you're going to dominate and maintain your road position with other vehicles on the road.

Don't get hung up about being new. There's people on CBT for years and years so that's not a criteria for being new.

Just ride, enjoy, learn, repeat. Thumbs Up


Cheers Map. I was more thinking along the lines of getting too detailed about bike questions and associated issues before actually being able to practise the advice I get then asking the same questions again when the time comes!
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:


1. how far do you commute and is it comfortable and easy to get used to it? I understand it won't be as comfortable as a Hornet or XJ6 or the like.
2. From experience, how does the RR compare against bikes of similar class, eg. GSXR600, R6, in terms of ridability and comfort? At this stage I'm not so fussed about performance as I know any 600 supersport has more power than I could envisage tapping into.


1) Comfort is entirely down to the individual. Size, shape, what you're used to... If you want it enough, you'll swear on you dog's grave that it's totally comfy and you were naturally born to sit with your knees round your ears and that thing where your right leg goes to sleep after 40 mins is totally normal.

2) 600 sports are basically all the same. Ideally, you would test ride or at least sit on all of them. But per the above, there'll be one you want for some spurious reason and therefore you'll convince yourself that it's the one that suits you best.


Bike buying is all bollocks really. Get what you fancy and put up with all the ways in which it isn't actually the best tool for the job. But get your internet argument straight for why it totally is the best and everyone else is wrong. Laughing

I commute 100 miles on a GSXR. On a practical level, I am an idiot. I do not care. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine!

Having ridden the 2012 CBR600rr, it's a docile thing (in my opinion of course).

It doesn't want to rip your arms out unless you climb into the higher rev range. It's very easy to get on with in the lower rev range, with plenty of power. Fantastic handling, too. It was also alot more comfortable than I thought it would be.

600s are all more or less the same. You made a good choice, that bike should keep you happy for a very long time. Thumbs Up .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember also the bike will only do why you tell it to.just take it easy fora while and get used to it.you will be fine as long as you don't ride like a twat Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very bland power delivery. Revs and revs.

I had an 03, so same shape, just standard forks rather than upside down.

Can't say comfort was an issue, but I wouldn't want to go touring on it. 100 miles max before arse becomes like a piece of wood.

Drinks fuel, mainly because it wants to be revved. Neutral handling but at the same time feels precise. Later suspension may even make it far nicer.

Commuted on it, was ok, fairly windy on motorways though, bigger screen needed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort on a bike can be relative to a few things other than the actual riding position. Your physical size and also stuff like how tense you are.

Anyhow the riding position on the CBR600RR is very similar to the 08 ZX6R I had. You will find that a 20 mile commute on a 600 Supersport is nothing. I used the ZX6R regularly to do 60 mile commutes from Milton Keynes up to Rutland. About an hour there and never got any aches or pains.

As for a better option within that class, probably not, but it really all comes down to your own preference. If it's a nice example and you like it then go for it Thumbs Up
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding commuting on it,

I use my ZZR for 20 miles of motorway filtering and thrashing each way.

It's not too bad, my mirrors are the widest point and they slip under a transits mirrors. I take the odd bit of traffic I can't get past or a red light as an opportunity to sit up and stretch out.

Keep on top of chain lubing and an eye on tension, keep an eye on tyre and brake wear.

I try to vary my route a bit to avoid wearing a flat spot onto my tyres

It does cook my arse on a warm day in heavy traffic.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251


Last edited by Wonko The Sane on 19:48 - 02 May 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffyd wrote:
Regarding commuting on it, I use my ZZR for 20 miles of motorway filtering and thrashing each way.


The ZZR and the CBR600RR are 2 different beasts, the seating position is somewhat race style on the CBR and the ZZR was VERY comfy when I rode one Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for commenting.

I haven't ridden the RR yet but have sat on it and on my mates 2010 Ninja. Both felt very similar in terms of reach and angle of my legs on the pegs.

I'm 5'9" but my legs are longer in proportion to my upper body reach. Therefore I find I tend to rest slightly heavier on my wrists.
I think 2 miles a day shouldn't be a major issue once I've become accustomed to the bike. Only time will tell.

I intend to go and give it a decent go. worst case I swap it for a FZ6 or something!
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your quotes looking like?

Also, invest in some crash bungs Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
What are your quotes looking like?

Also, invest in some crash bungs Wink


£520 with £1k excess comprehensive.
£455 with £500 excess TPFT

bike already has the stubs on. I do intend to have it wrapped though, partly for protection and partly because I'm not that keen on the grey and black colour scheme.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be a gay, if you don't like the colour, buy a different bike rather than have it all taken off, put back on etc. The rear plastic is 1 piece and a royal fucktard to get off. That and the tank will be a challenge.

Alright price with new licence, think I was paying £300 with that and 3 other bikes on my policy so not bad at all!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the colour, give it a month and you probably will.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Don't be a gay, if you don't like the colour, buy a different bike rather than have it all taken off, put back on etc. The rear plastic is 1 piece and a royal fucktard to get off. That and the tank will be a challenge.

Alright price with new licence, think I was paying £300 with that and 3 other bikes on my policy so not bad at all!


there's no need to remove any panels. I've seen a number of bikes being wrapped and it's about 3-4 hours work and a fraction of the cost of spraying.

Also finding the right bike (condition and location wise) and matching it to the right colour is a lot tougher than it sounds.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, because you can wrap over bolts Wink They hold the tank down, 2 at the front. It has MANY indents along the fairing, folds back on itself etc etc.

Best of luck, stop being a tarty fag and find the bike in the colour you like.

You think I like riding a red-ish blimp? There ain't no way I'm painting it, wrapping the tank is a no no with it on, but to get off, panels off... world of pain.

In short, why bother, its fine. If its a pain finding one, wait, simple?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5''10 and legs are fairly long - can commute comfortably on my ZX6 and ride without stopping for hour, never found it uncomfortable to be honest.

Try sit so your body and weight is being supported a bit by your legs around the tank rather than all forwards onto your wrists if its particularly uncomfortable, my wrists rarely ever ache on mine, leg occasionly gets stiff but I think thats just down to having been riding sports-positioned bikes for a good few years now.

Unless you go full-retard whazzing the throttle right back it shouldn't feel excessively uncontrollable you have to rev these bikes a lot to get the real power out of them, it will definately be quick, especially as your first big bike, but it isn't going to go bucking you off unexpectedly Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:
So I've decided to buy my mates 2005 CBR600RR

Because it's the best available example of the bike that you absolutely, definitely want?

What an astonishingly convenient co-incidence for both of you.

Have you even ridden it yet?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike


Last edited by Rogerborg on 21:54 - 02 May 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your mate's bike is well looked after, no reason you shouldn't have it. It's not like you can never sell/trade it later is it?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

5'11" with long legs, I used to commute 45 miles on a KR1S never had any back or wrist ache, just the after effects of a seat that appeared to be made from two folded sheets of A4!! Laughing
You'll be fine! Thumbs Up
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed it is a convenience but certainly not coincidence. He's had the RR for a number of years and I know he's a weekend rider and does take good care of all 3 of his bikes. They are always garaged rarely see rain. Anyway when I started getting into bikes (about 2 years ago) I knew I wanted an RR after seeing his. The time came and I asked him if he'd be willing to part with it and he thought why not. It's a great bike for the money in paying and I know for a fact it's been looked after for at least the last 4 years.

About the wrapping. Not saying it's a good idea or it's the best way to mod a bike. What I'm saying is I personally don't like the colour and I have decided to have it wrapped. Also I know it can be done without removing the panels because I have seen a number of bikes being wrapped without removing the panels. You'd be surprised how good the wrappers are with the right tools.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:

Now that I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section, and not the New Biker section, without feeling too preemptive! Very Happy


Ya daft wee fecker! i was posting in here before I'd even sat on a bike Laughing

And on the subject of it being your mates bike, I assume (from above comments) that you trust him and have confidence that he looks after his kit? Sometimes it really is better the devil you know! I bought my current cage off my landlady when she wanted to sell it (I'm a lodger) minimal hassle for both of us - a seller I knew and trusted and I managed to knock a few quid off her asking price! I'd driven it a fair bit and done a little work on it so I knew it was likely ok - but I have spent more on it than I paid for it in the last year...

The real question is though, if it turns out to be an absolute shitter is he good enough a friend that you will be able to take it on the chin and forgive him in the knowledge that he probably wouldn't knowingly have sold you a crapfest? I'm sure it will turn out well, but you have to consider it....


Last edited by Tamsin on 22:50 - 02 May 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
LondonCommuter wrote:

Now that I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section, and not the New Biker section, without feeling too preemptive! Very Happy


Ya daft wee fecker! i was posting in here before I'd even sat on a bike Laughing


Ha I saw! I guess most questions I had were already being ripped apart!
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 02 May 2014    Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... Reply with quote

MissTamsin wrote:
LondonCommuter wrote:

Now that I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section, and not the New Biker section, without feeling too preemptive! Very Happy


Ya daft wee fecker! i was posting in here before I'd even sat on a bike Laughing

And on the subject of it being your mates bike, I assume (from above comments) that you trust him and have confidence that he looks after his kit? Sometimes it really is better the devil you know! I bought my current cage off my landlady when she wanted to sell it (I'm a lodger) minimal hassle for both of us - a seller I knew and trusted and I managed to knock a few quid off her asking price! I'd driven it a fair bit and done a little work on it so I knew it was likely ok - but I have spent more on it than I paid for it in the last year...

The real question is though, if it turns out to be an absolute shitter is he good enough a friend that you will be able to take it on the chin and forgive him in the knowledge that he probably wouldn't knowingly have sold you a crapfest? I'm sure it will turn out well, but you have to consider it....


I know what you're saying. The thought crossed my mind a few times. I've known the fella for nearly ten years. He's a nice enough guy and quite blunt. I'd like to think he'd take it as well as he gives it so should the worst happen and to be fair there is every chance it could, I feel pretty comfortable in telling him about it and getting a mutual fix.

The bike itself is a 2005 with full history and a bit over 13k on it. He personally has put only 5 in the last 4 years and as mentioned he does take good care of his bikes. He has 2 other bikes, 2010 ninja and a hornet, so between them the bikes get very little usage.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.18 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.73 Kb