|
|
| Author |
Message |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:44 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: For my own peace of mind... |
 |
|
Hi all
Now that I've finally passed my Mod2, I feel I can post in this section, and not the New Biker section, without feeling too preemptive!
So I've decided to buy my mates 2005 CBR600RR as my first big bike. I've heard all the usual arguments for and against my decision to get a 600 Supersport as a first bike and I'd like to think I've made a calculated and well thought out decision about my choice.
Anyway, despite my keenness to get the RR I know the real test will be when I come to use it day in day out for my 20 mile commutes and weekend rides. My question to the supersport commuters is two fold;
1. how far do you commute and is it comfortable and easy to get used to it? I understand it won't be as comfortable as a Hornet or XJ6 or the like.
2. From experience, how does the RR compare against bikes of similar class, eg. GSXR600, R6, in terms of ridability and comfort? At this stage I'm not so fussed about performance as I know any 600 supersport has more power than I could envisage tapping into.
To clarify, I'm not looking for someone to help me make up my mind, I've already done that. I just want to know if there is a better option the same class that I might have overlooked.
thanks in advance for the advice and insults.
Ash ____________________ GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:00 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: Re: For my own peace of mind... |
 |
|
| LondonCommuter wrote: |
1. how far do you commute and is it comfortable and easy to get used to it? I understand it won't be as comfortable as a Hornet or XJ6 or the like.
2. From experience, how does the RR compare against bikes of similar class, eg. GSXR600, R6, in terms of ridability and comfort? At this stage I'm not so fussed about performance as I know any 600 supersport has more power than I could envisage tapping into. |
1) Comfort is entirely down to the individual. Size, shape, what you're used to... If you want it enough, you'll swear on you dog's grave that it's totally comfy and you were naturally born to sit with your knees round your ears and that thing where your right leg goes to sleep after 40 mins is totally normal.
2) 600 sports are basically all the same. Ideally, you would test ride or at least sit on all of them. But per the above, there'll be one you want for some spurious reason and therefore you'll convince yourself that it's the one that suits you best.
Bike buying is all bollocks really. Get what you fancy and put up with all the ways in which it isn't actually the best tool for the job. But get your internet argument straight for why it totally is the best and everyone else is wrong.
I commute 100 miles on a GSXR. On a practical level, I am an idiot. I do not care.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Eddie Hitler |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Eddie Hitler World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Nov 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:04 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
You will be fine!
Having ridden the 2012 CBR600rr, it's a docile thing (in my opinion of course).
It doesn't want to rip your arms out unless you climb into the higher rev range. It's very easy to get on with in the lower rev range, with plenty of power. Fantastic handling, too. It was also alot more comfortable than I thought it would be.
600s are all more or less the same. You made a good choice, that bike should keep you happy for a very long time. . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sidewinder |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sidewinder World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:04 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just remember also the bike will only do why you tell it to.just take it easy fora while and get used to it.you will be fine as long as you don't ride like a twat  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Matt B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Matt B World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 May 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:14 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Comfort on a bike can be relative to a few things other than the actual riding position. Your physical size and also stuff like how tense you are.
Anyhow the riding position on the CBR600RR is very similar to the 08 ZX6R I had. You will find that a 20 mile commute on a 600 Supersport is nothing. I used the ZX6R regularly to do 60 mile commutes from Milton Keynes up to Rutland. About an hour there and never got any aches or pains.
As for a better option within that class, probably not, but it really all comes down to your own preference. If it's a nice example and you like it then go for it  ____________________ stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wonko The Sane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wonko The Sane World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 14:55 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Regarding commuting on it,
I use my ZZR for 20 miles of motorway filtering and thrashing each way.
It's not too bad, my mirrors are the widest point and they slip under a transits mirrors. I take the odd bit of traffic I can't get past or a red light as an opportunity to sit up and stretch out.
Keep on top of chain lubing and an eye on tension, keep an eye on tyre and brake wear.
I try to vary my route a bit to avoid wearing a flat spot onto my tyres
It does cook my arse on a warm day in heavy traffic. ____________________ Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
Last edited by Wonko The Sane on 19:48 - 02 May 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:34 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
What are your quotes looking like?
Also, invest in some crash bungs  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:13 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yeah, because you can wrap over bolts They hold the tank down, 2 at the front. It has MANY indents along the fairing, folds back on itself etc etc.
Best of luck, stop being a tarty fag and find the bike in the colour you like.
You think I like riding a red-ish blimp? There ain't no way I'm painting it, wrapping the tank is a no no with it on, but to get off, panels off... world of pain.
In short, why bother, its fine. If its a pain finding one, wait, simple? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Matt- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Matt- World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Apr 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:28 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm 5''10 and legs are fairly long - can commute comfortably on my ZX6 and ride without stopping for hour, never found it uncomfortable to be honest.
Try sit so your body and weight is being supported a bit by your legs around the tank rather than all forwards onto your wrists if its particularly uncomfortable, my wrists rarely ever ache on mine, leg occasionly gets stiff but I think thats just down to having been riding sports-positioned bikes for a good few years now.
Unless you go full-retard whazzing the throttle right back it shouldn't feel excessively uncontrollable you have to rev these bikes a lot to get the real power out of them, it will definately be quick, especially as your first big bike, but it isn't going to go bucking you off unexpectedly  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:38 - 02 May 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
5'11" with long legs, I used to commute 45 miles on a KR1S never had any back or wrist ache, just the after effects of a seat that appeared to be made from two folded sheets of A4!!
You'll be fine!  ____________________ "Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!"  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tamsin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tamsin World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|