Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dirty robbing bastards!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

GeorgeB.
Crazy Courier



Joined: 08 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Dirty robbing bastards! Reply with quote

A few years ago my Uncle gave me his old KMX which had been sat in my grandad's garage for 10 years before that (he got it for his 18th, rode it up and down the street once and never touched it again).

When I had it (with the intention of sorting it and getting it on the road) my step-dad spoke to the DVLA who said it wasn't on their systems. Fair enough, we though, we'll register it once it's roadworthy.

Fast forward to now, I've sold the bike to a mate who has appleid for a new V5 and paid £25 for the privilege. Yesterday, my Uncle opens a letter saying he's being fined £55 by the DVLA for not informing them of change of keeper, £35 if he pays before the 13th.

Is there any way out of this, or just suck it up and pay it?
____________________
Current: '99 Fazer 600 | '99 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE
Previous: Keeway TX125 | CBF 125 | CB400SF Project Big One
CBT 04/12/12 | Theory 03/12/13 | MOD 1 06/01/14 | MOD 2 13/01/14
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but you/he did tell them didn't he/you. I'm sure you remember sending a letter. Sadly you/he forgot to ask for proof of postage I'll bet. Interpretations Act (look it up or use search on here). Although IIRC the DVLA are trying to say that no longer applies.

There are other suggestions on here if you do a search.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Dirty robbing bastards! Reply with quote

It's not a fine, it's a blackmail demand.

So, has he been ignoring VED demands for 10 years? Thinking

The only way I can see is for him to use the "Dunno wot you meeean, mate" defence and say that he's still got it.

What the consequences of that would be for the new owner, I have no idea, but I doubt that anyone would enjoy it.

Right. Either pay up now, or ignore it completely.

I mean completely, no calling them up to bawww and definitely no giving them any more contact details.

Pay attention to it if and when a court summons hits the mat. At that point, either decide to defend the case, or open negotiations for bribing them, starting from the position that if they show up to court then it's all costs to them.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:21 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVLA bastards have fined me £100!!!

My story, bought a bike a couple of months ago to replace one of my bikes which was on it's last legs. I didn't insure the new bike and was going to insure it when I got rid of the other bike.

Got a letter a month ago informing me my bike wasn't insure and I could get fined BLAH BLAH BLAH..

Called up and insured the bike, job done.......WRONG, today got home from the bike shop and in the post was this fine for £100. The DVLA claim my bike isn't insured but it had been for a month. Phoned up Carole Nash who are sending me a letter to send with the penalty notice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you'll get away with the first one.. wait for letter de court.
Send form back not guilty.
Explain case to one of their representatives. They will send someone to the magistrates court but don't expect to be in a big room with loads of judges. They'll chat, explain process. Ask why this was not followed which you can then say "we applied for one but you had no record of said bike" make up a date and they'll likely let you go.

That or trackies and trainers, "sent it fam, wot u sayin blud" is the other option..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gavcarter
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that one, went to court, didn't even get into court room.
Some bloke pulled me into a little room, told me why I was there - which I was already knew, and asked me what my response would be, fill in an expenses form and claim I couldnt pay before xx date because I had no money or contest the fine.

I wanted to contest it. I told him I had sorned the bike 3 days after the insurance ran out.
The insurance was never in my name as when I bought it, my mate still had tax and insurance on it that he just left to lapse ( cancellation fees tax not worth reclaiming) - it ran out end of the month but I was unsure on date, so I declared the bike sorn at 1st of the next month.

the database was checked on the 28th and flagged taxed but no insurance.

I never received proof of sorn in the post, but checking its status on the DVLA website and printing a copy out I could show the date of next liability - which proved what day it was sorned.

He told me "what a waste of time and money to drag people here over a 3 day discrepancy, go home son dont worry about it, the courts are really busy today anyway"

He filled in some DVLA headed papers, some from my local magistrates and i've heard nothing since ( few years now)

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:36 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsmith95 wrote:
The DVLA bastards have fined me £100!!!

No. They. Have. Not.

You've received a blackmail letter. Nothing more. You have not been "fined", you owe them nothing.

I've had plenty of such over the years. Zero fucks have been given, zero bribes have been paid.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gavbriggs
Crazy Courier



Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:08 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the tax disc to go, these fools are going to cost the motorist millions in taking folk to court for no good reason!
____________________
Recent bikes: Varadero 125 - Mod 2 3/2/14 - Bandit 1200 SK4
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavbriggs wrote:
I can't wait for the tax disc to go, ...

The disc and displaying it go, the requirement to pay for it stays.
However, as with many database systems relying on human input I still foresee many screw ups by dvla.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:15 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same for the CBR400 I gave away.

You haven't told us... dadidadida...

I just paid the £30. I know Paddy & Sickpup have won against the DVLA but I'm sure if I did it I'd end up with the bailiffs round owing the bastards an arm and a leg Rolling Eyes
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the system requires us to notify the DVLA if we've not heard from them and their argument rests on "you didn't tell us"

If the DVLA don't send me my tax reminder and I then don't buy the tax disk can I use this as my defence:

"You didn't tell me I needed to purchase it and you didn't prompt me when you didn't' receive an acknowledgement of your letter"


surely it's the same rule and we should be fining them for not responding to the bits of paper we send in since they fine us if we don't act on the bits of paper they send out.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffyd wrote:
So if the system requires us to notify the DVLA if we've not heard from them and their argument rests on "you didn't tell us"

If the DVLA don't send me my tax reminder and I then don't buy the tax disk can I use this as my defence:

"You didn't tell me I needed to purchase it and you didn't prompt me when you didn't' receive an acknowledgement of your letter"


surely it's the same rule and we should be fining them for not responding to the bits of paper we send in since they fine us if we don't act on the bits of paper they send out.


Lovely logical thinking but this is a government department we are talking about here. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering with the wording where you have to deliver to the government Secretary. Would it be worth it to organise a day (or days) where people turn up in person to present the documentation? Not to anybody though, the secretary in person. Maybe that would highlight how stupid the wording and dvla are.

Now only if there was some national organisation(s) for bikers who could muster a united front and coordinate something like that Wink

Or is that being silly?
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
mattsmith95 wrote:
The DVLA bastards have fined me £100!!!

No. They. Have. Not.

You've received a blackmail letter. Nothing more. You have not been "fined", you owe them nothing.

I've had plenty of such over the years. Zero fucks have been given, zero bribes have been paid.


I had a letter from Carole Nash to prove I was insured so that with the blackmail letter is in the post.

Oh BTW, my bike still isn't on the database, I just checked....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffyd wrote:
they fine us if we don't act on the bits of paper they send out.

Do they?

Do they really?

Ah'm oot.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 92.22 Kb