Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit !!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit !! Reply with quote

If you've had a license for years, check its expiry date
lest you lose it or get into deep shit

I had to dig out my driving license for ID purposes
when weighing in an old car battery at a metal recycling plant.
First time its seen daylight in a loooooong time

The woman at the counter told me it had expired nearly 3 years ago
Whaaat?
oh bollocks!
Never having had cause to dig it out, I never gave it a thought and didnt remember getting any reminder

Rushed to the post office to see if I could renew it there
Nope, the lady scared the shit out of me with tales of hefty fines,
losing entitlement, retaking tests and such and I'd have to do it by post.

Hence the 'oh shit.......' etc

Got the ugly pics from the PO machine,
forms off the net, wrote my first cheque in years,
a signature from a 'professional person' to attest I was who i was and sent it off.

I'd heard of guys renewing licenses to find their bike entitlement
had disappeared from their renewed license so all in all
it was an uneasy time

When It arrived 2 weeks later I hastily checked for the 'A'
Phew! it was there !
so was all the other stuff like C1+E/D1+E and all that

Apparently I'm not/wasn't the only dumb bastard driving/riding about
on an expired license, so if you've been driving/riding for years I suggest you check yours


Last edited by WD Forte on 20:00 - 06 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mart61
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 24 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally I've just checked mine and it expires in January 2015.

I'll renew mine online as I have a recent passport and they can get the picture and signature electronically from that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my license since about 1987, but never checked when it expired. Then sent it in when mods 1 & 2 were all done and got the new photo kind. *shrug*
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
MC This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Didn't the old paper license last for 50 years?


It does which is my my dad won't change to a photocard one.


But TBH you get a letter in the post warning you about it. I 'lost' mine in 2010 as I exchanged the old one for a HK licence which lasts 10 years.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine expires next year. I might have to "change address" again though to avoid fees.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wull
Crazy Courier



Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:32 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewed mine last year along with the wife's
____________________
"Scooters are for men who want to ride motorcycles but prefer to feel the wind on their vaginas"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC wrote:
Didn't the old paper license last for 50 years?

From date of issue until your 70'th birthday.
You could apply for your provisional, up to 12 weeks before you 16th birthday, so, 54&1/4 years, max, I guess.
Mines still valid until 2040, provided I don't move house.
And I have absolutely NO photo-ID what-so-ever.
____________________
My Webby'Tef's-tQ, loads of stuff about my bikes, my Land-Rovers, and the stuff I do with them!
Current Bikes:'Honda VF1000F' ;'CB750F2N' ;'CB125TD ( 6 3 of em!)'; 'Montesa Cota 248'. Learner FAQ's:= 'U want to Ride a Motorbike! Where Do U start?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
MC wrote:
Didn't the old paper license last for 50 years?
It does which is my my dad won't change to a photocard one...

I am with your dad on that one Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
I am with your dad on that one Thumbs Up

Same here Razz
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mjn51
Traffic Copper



Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine expires in Oct 2021, so a little time yet !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:54 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still have a paper one that doesn't expire till 2039. But I believe these will become obsolete next year and you'll be forced to get a fecking photocard. One more scam to get a bit of extra money out of us.
____________________
The RXS100: vehicle of choice for Chuck Norris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:58 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn silly administrative bollocks. Thank Brussels for this one, again. They "expire" only in order to keep the photograph up to date, because the Eurostazi do love to demand "Papers, please".

It wouldn't worry me that much. Quoth Dara Ó Briain, yes, it's expired, but I'm still me. Dibble and the CPS might care, but would a Magistrate or Sheriff?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar scenario back on the Isle of Man with my provisional licence.

I needed ID at the post office, so handed the assistant my license, only to be told that he couldn't accept it as it was out of date. Shocked (as I'm stood there in full biking gear, with my lid in my hand). Laughing

It turns out a provisional licence only lasts 12 months over there and they don't send you a reminder.

My own fault though for not reading the small print.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Damn silly administrative bollocks. Thank Brussels for this one, again. They "expire" only in order to keep the photograph up to date, because the Eurostazi do love to demand "Papers, please".

It wouldn't worry me that much. Quoth Dara Ó Briain, yes, it's expired, but I'm still me. Dibble and the CPS might care, but would a Magistrate or Sheriff?


Might be true if Europe actually recognised the driving license as ID... But I'm yet to find a Euro country other than the UK that does.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to re-new mine every 5 years and pay for a medical Sick

valid till may 2018.
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Boris the spider
Nearly there...



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handed mines over to Sgt at appraisal 2 months ago as they now note date of expiry.
Ehhhhhhh. This is nearly 4 years out of date the Sgt says..
Woops Smile
Quick visit to post office and renewed it .
____________________
Yes I'm a pig....And yes... The working public do pay my wages. Tho I contribute to your benefits you lazy c##t. You do not pay my wages. So go fcuk yourself.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay for the medical... been banned for drink/drugs?

When I have a license I get a three year one. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance comperknees come to mind
You know how they love to quibble and wriggle out of coughing up the dosh so an expired license might be just the thing to get
"Oh dear, we're sorry but you see...................."

Edit

just saw this page and its not the license per se
but the photo that expires, so the insurance thing is irrelevant
kwote:
"The supermarket bank carried out a further survey
and found that fewer than one in three of those drivers
with an expired licence are aware that it has expired.

A further 10million people do not know when their licence expires
and 14 per cent of expired photo card licences have been
out-of-date since 2009 or before.

The research also revealed that the vast majority of drivers are
unaware of the true consequences of having an expired
photograph on their driving licence


That'd be me then.

Just 29 per cent know that it could make you liable for a £1,000
fine.
However, almost a third (31 per cent) of drivers incorrectly said
they thought it could invalidate your motor insurance
and 27 per cent thought it could mean getting points on your licence.

Interestingly, 13 per cent of drivers thought it could result in your car being confiscated."

That's what the woman in the PO told me !!!!!!

had me cacking me pants she did

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2081666/Driving-licence-trap-1-6m-drivers-risk-hefty-fine-renewing-photograph-20-cost.html#ixzz36mK1uKq7


Last edited by WD Forte on 11:59 - 07 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Damn silly administrative bollocks. Thank Brussels for this one, again. They "expire" only in order to keep the photograph up to date, because the Eurostazi do love to demand "Papers, please".

It wouldn't worry me that much. Quoth Dara Ó Briain, yes, it's expired, but I'm still me. Dibble and the CPS might care, but would a Magistrate or Sheriff?


Might be true if Europe actually recognised the driving license as ID... But I'm yet to find a Euro country other than the UK that does.


In Cyprus they want photo ID for everything official, however they didn't seem too bothered how up to date your ID was, I used my old passport to save carrying and possibly losing the current one!
They accepted the UK, photocard licence, you were supposed to swap this for a Cyprus licence within 12 months of residing there, I never bothered in 6 years, and never had any problems! Still have my UK licence!
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago I went to do a repeat CBT and my licence had expired (an 'oh sh1t' moment, I thought I was about to lose the fee for the day, I hadn't even checked this) - there were a pair of examiners who both mentioned it and showed it to one another (they were both ex-police incidentally) - the result was a shrug, ticked the 'provisional' box, returned the licence to me and let me carry on.

I did renew the licence that afternoon though.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking I wonder what the fine / penalty will be in 2015 when we all have to have photo licence apparently (no paper counterpart).

As I have a paper licence that hasn't expired then so valid for me to drive (I'm presuming). So no actual driving/insurance/whatever offences based on licence.

However, would not have a photo licence. So a good telling off?

So, licences only valid for 10 years from 2015 then!
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Damn silly administrative bollocks. Thank Brussels for this one, again.

Might be true if Europe actually recognised the driving license as ID... But I'm yet to find a Euro country other than the UK that does.

Then it's just spiteful bureaucracy, huzzah.

2006/126/EC, Article 7, 2 (a)

Might change when the ID chips go in them. There's already space mandated for one, but they're not mandatory just yet. Which is really jolly nice of them.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked mine, and I'm ok till 07/07/2015
I wasn't even aware until recently that they had to be updated intermittantly.
____________________
1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
...2006/126/EC, Article 7, 2 (a)......
Ok, I'm a sucker for a google search, found it here....
EU wrote:
Article 7 Issue Validity and Renewal
...
2.
(a)
As from 19 January 2013, licences issued by Member States for categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, B1 and BE shall have an administrative validity of 10 years.

A Member State may choose to issue such licences with an administrative validity of up to 15 years;

(b)
As from 19 January 2013, licences issued by Member States for categories C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1, D1E shall have an administrative validity of 5 years;

(c)
The renewal of a driving licence may trigger a new administrative validity period for another category or categories the licence holder is entitled to drive, insofar as this is in conformity with the conditions laid down in this Directive;

(d)
The presence of a microchip pursuant to Article 1 shall not be a prerequisite for the validity of a driving licence. The loss or unreadability of the microchip, or any other damage thereto, shall not affect the validity of the document.
...

FWIW Article 7(2)(c) does allow for a licence to be valid indefinitely.

I'm also confused as ANNEX I Part 3 would seem to suggest you need to declare modifications to motorcycle so they appear on your licence? e.g.
EU wrote:
44.08 Seat height allowing the driver, in sitting position, to have two feet on the road at the same time
Confused Thinking

I'm thinking problems ahead as UK governments tend to implement all parts of EU directives where the rest of the EU just gives a gaelic shrug.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.23 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.88 Kb