|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Karlbristol |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Karlbristol Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 02 May 2014 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:14 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: Crash advice... |
 |
|
Bear with me this is a Tef length post
I love my bike to bits and it's had money and love thrown at it in bundles (normally as I lurk on this forum and get ideas on improvements!) so I'm a little gutted by what I'm going to write next...
I always expected that I was going to have a proper "off" at some stage as I'm on my first big bike and although I'm an advanced driver I'm relatively new to biking. Unfortunately my worst fears were realised at 21:15 last night.... To really rub salt in the wound my R&G crash bungs are in the post to me
Anyway rewind to last night
Last night I was going around a corner that I know well and went through a patch of diesel. There were roadworks on meaning the road went down to one lane, and I had a car behind me so I had no choice other then go through it. I was probably travelling at circa 20mph at this point. The front end stayed planted but the rear end fish tailed terribly and lost all grip. As a result I put some throttle on (only a bit) to try to get the bike as upright as possible and regain stability, unfortunately this didn't work and the bike flipped violently on its left hand side, dumped me to the ground and then slid down the road approximately 20 foot until it hit a large raised pavement kerb. I did my fair share of sliding but stupidly jumped up pretty quickly to try and save the bike.. I was devastated.
I've just got out of hospital and come home with a variety of injuries that puts me out of action for quite some time (mainly shoulder based) but I'm more concerned about the bike. Everything on the LHS needs replacing due to either being snapped, sheared or scratched significantly. Joys. It won't start at all but I'm presuming its due to some form of tilt sensor/trip switch.
I'm sure I will have some questions regarding how to fix the damage but for the time being I was after some advice on the accident itself.
What did I do wrong? (Besides crashing the bike or riding through diesel )
How can you correct from fishtailing due to diesel or similar?
When it started to go I tried to give it a bit of throttle thinking that this would bring the bike more upright and thus regain the stability of the bike due to the centrifugal forces. Is this right or did I make the situation worse?
I've only been riding daily for a year and had a full license for a relatively short time. I appreciate that I still have a lot to learn and frustratingly I was actually riding sensibly and relatively slowly when this happened. I'd like to learn from this experience to prevent a similar one in the future.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Oh and the compulsory paint diagram will be worked on shortly when I'm up to it... ____________________ Currently riding: GSX650
Currently own but rarely drive: Boring family '12 plate VRS Octavia estate |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Hokum |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Hokum Spanner Monkey
Joined: 26 Apr 2012 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:13 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: Re: Crash advice... |
 |
|
| Karlbristol wrote: | I've just got out of hospital and come home with a variety of injuries that puts me out of action for quite some time (mainly shoulder based) but I'm more concerned about the bike. |
| Karlbristol wrote: | How can you correct from fishtailing due to diesel or similar? |
My experience on black ice is that it corrects itself when the bike reaches horizontal.
I've been over it, and there's nothing that I could have done. Neutral inputs, perfectly upright, then whoops, horizontal.
You're already badly enough off without blaming yourself.
You can and should claim against the council if it was reported, or failing that, the MID untraced driver scheme (with a £300 excess). Nothing gets done until it's cheaper to act than to ignore it. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| covent.gardens |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 covent.gardens World Clap Champion

Joined: 09 Jun 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:34 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
It happens to all of us.
I have so far avoided coming off from a rear end slide, which probably means on the way home from work tonight i will have one that puts me on the floor.
I have always though that whacking the throttle on or off is a bad idea.
If the rear is sliding, more power will prolong the slide, if and when it grips again, the angle to return the bike to an upright position is larger than it would have been, resulting in a bigger high-side than it would have been.
On the other hand, snapping the throttle closed may shorten the slide, but will still cause a violent tank slapper.
I have always made a minimal roll of of the throttle if the rear end has slid. probably just a couple of degrees rotation though. Seems to have worked so far (touch wood).
If i spot diesel on the road that is unavoidable (very rarely it is unavoidable) i'll always roll off completely and straighten the bike up and riding through as little of it as possible, without touching the brakes. But then again, i have a v-twin with a ridiculous amount of engine braking.
Also it really pisses me off how people can't seem to fuel their cars/vans/lorries with diesel. If diesel is coming from the overflow pipe, they are losing money and potentially causing accidents. ____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
Last edited by Dalemac on 13:37 - 09 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| baggylastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 baggylastard Nova Slayer
Joined: 18 Jul 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Highwayman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Highwayman Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 17 Nov 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 13:59 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| chris-red wrote: | | baggylastard wrote: | worst thing to do is .. clutch in. |
Why is that then |
Try it next time you get on the bike. RIde along then pull the clutch in.
I would imagine you'll find you decelerate slightly which in turn would cause the shock to unload, the rear to go slightly light and the front to load up.
For what it's woprth, I suspect OP actually had a front-end slide/wibble.
In my experience, the rear fishtailing makes the bars go from side to side (or more often the case, the bars going side to side makes the rear fishtail).
I also can't think why diesel would make you fishtail, having been on horribly frictionless surfaces, including snow and ice, it usually simply goes down on one side.
If you fishtailed, it was probably coming from the front-end, like in the case of abruptly hitting deep snow or mud where the front wheel digs in and decelerates violently, looses grip, slides, unloads the suspension and off you get.
OP mentioned going through roadworks. I wonder if the road had been surface-planed into stripes ready for a new surface? The front wheel will tend to pick up the linear scoring on the road and feel very shaky and out of control. It's most unpleasant but usually doesn't come to anything if you don't do anything agressive in terms of manouvering.
In any case, in an incidence of recuced grip or a handling problem, my first instinct is to keep everything dead neutral. So neither accelerating, decelerating or braking and keeping my weight evenly distributed between the saddle and the balls of my feet. I try not to grip the bars too hard (easier said than done) and look for something soft to hit out of the traffic.
In order to avoid decelerating (and unloading the rear/loading the front), you need to keep the bike in gear with a little bit of throttle onto overcome rolling resistance. What I'd call neutral throttle. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| UnknownStuntm... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 UnknownStuntm... World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Sep 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:31 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not seen anyone mention this above, so my two pennies are:
Any odd looking surface, I'm up on my toes. Bum off the seat means you can feel, absorb and react to inputs from the bike.
I'm not saying it would have saved that though. Diesel should be banned from the road.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Karlbristol |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Karlbristol Borekit Bruiser
Joined: 02 May 2014 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:50 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thank you all for the responses and advice it is appreciated
It's a relatively tight corner and as I was advancing through it I saw the diesel but didn't have loads of time to react/think about the situation. In hindsight maybe going a bit slower than 20mph could have helped. When I saw it I hoped that luck would see me though if I'm being completely honest.
I initially maintained the same revs as I was worried about dropping them off mid corner (I was in second gear IIRC). As I rode through the diesel it felt like the rear end was weaving/fish tailing and that I was going to loose it to the right. Instinctively I revved higher.
In hindsight and thinking logically about it as most of you have said I probably should have dropped the revs instead of increasing them. The only thing that popped into my head whilst I was panicking is that when I used to loose balance doing U-turns and I was taught to blip the revs so that the gyroscopic effect lifted the bike upright. It clearly didn't work well on this occasion
So the general consensus is to drop the revs off or right down and try to coast through?
The resurfacing works definitely didn't help things.
The crash was an odd experience of taking an age but being done in a flash. It's hard to explain. Anyway - I officially hate diesel!! ____________________ Currently riding: GSX650
Currently own but rarely drive: Boring family '12 plate VRS Octavia estate |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crazy-Duck |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crazy-Duck Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 05 Mar 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Crazy-Duck |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Crazy-Duck Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 05 Mar 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:15 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Meh, never was very good at spelling and even worse when in a rush to leave work. ____________________ Passed Mod 2 19th June 2014. First 'Big Bike' Ducati Monster 600  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fisty |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fisty Super Spammer

Joined: 11 Apr 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|