Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Crash advice...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Karlbristol
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 02 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Crash advice... Reply with quote

Bear with me this is a Tef length post Laughing

I love my bike to bits and it's had money and love thrown at it in bundles (normally as I lurk on this forum and get ideas on improvements!) so I'm a little gutted by what I'm going to write next...

I always expected that I was going to have a proper "off" at some stage as I'm on my first big bike and although I'm an advanced driver I'm relatively new to biking. Unfortunately my worst fears were realised at 21:15 last night.... To really rub salt in the wound my R&G crash bungs are in the post to me Sad

Anyway rewind to last night
Last night I was going around a corner that I know well and went through a patch of diesel. There were roadworks on meaning the road went down to one lane, and I had a car behind me so I had no choice other then go through it. I was probably travelling at circa 20mph at this point. The front end stayed planted but the rear end fish tailed terribly and lost all grip. As a result I put some throttle on (only a bit) to try to get the bike as upright as possible and regain stability, unfortunately this didn't work and the bike flipped violently on its left hand side, dumped me to the ground and then slid down the road approximately 20 foot until it hit a large raised pavement kerb. I did my fair share of sliding but stupidly jumped up pretty quickly to try and save the bike.. I was devastated.

I've just got out of hospital and come home with a variety of injuries that puts me out of action for quite some time (mainly shoulder based) but I'm more concerned about the bike. Everything on the LHS needs replacing due to either being snapped, sheared or scratched significantly. Joys. It won't start at all but I'm presuming its due to some form of tilt sensor/trip switch.

I'm sure I will have some questions regarding how to fix the damage but for the time being I was after some advice on the accident itself.

What did I do wrong? (Besides crashing the bike or riding through diesel Laughing )
How can you correct from fishtailing due to diesel or similar?
When it started to go I tried to give it a bit of throttle thinking that this would bring the bike more upright and thus regain the stability of the bike due to the centrifugal forces. Is this right or did I make the situation worse?

I've only been riding daily for a year and had a full license for a relatively short time. I appreciate that I still have a lot to learn and frustratingly I was actually riding sensibly and relatively slowly when this happened. I'd like to learn from this experience to prevent a similar one in the future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance Thumbs Up
Oh and the compulsory paint diagram will be worked on shortly when I'm up to it...
____________________
Currently riding: GSX650
Currently own but rarely drive: Boring family '12 plate VRS Octavia estate
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hokum
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd treat it like any other rear wheel skid, and try and keep the bike as straight as possible, I'd also cut the throttle and ride it out as it slows down.
____________________
Sane: To know when you are doing something crazy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Crash advice... Reply with quote

Karlbristol wrote:
...It won't start at all but I'm presuming its due to some form of tilt sensor/trip switch...

Tilt switch normally reset by turning off with key and then back on again. So that should not affect restart IMO. Check kill switch? Also GSX650 is carbs? So might check fuel getting to them.

In topic think about doing some advanced training, Bikesafe and/or IAM stuff.

Plus ask if diesel spill reported. If it was then there's blame on the council, you have a claim! (yes I hate the blame ambulance chasing system but I can be fickle too Very Happy ).
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokum wrote:
I'd treat it like any other rear wheel skid, and try and keep the bike as straight as possible, I'd also cut the throttle and ride it out as it slows down.


Cutting a throttle suddenly can be as bad as opening it suddenly when the rear cuts loose. Either way when the rear bites again and the wheels are out of line it'll do its best to chuck you off.

On diesel it's probably a lost cause but roll the throttle off slowly and carefully and try to keep things in a straight line. A lowside is usually a better choice than a highside.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Crash advice... Reply with quote

Karlbristol wrote:
I've just got out of hospital and come home with a variety of injuries that puts me out of action for quite some time (mainly shoulder based) but I'm more concerned about the bike.

Thumbs Up

Karlbristol wrote:
How can you correct from fishtailing due to diesel or similar?

My experience on black ice is that it corrects itself when the bike reaches horizontal.

I've been over it, and there's nothing that I could have done. Neutral inputs, perfectly upright, then whoops, horizontal.

You're already badly enough off without blaming yourself.

You can and should claim against the council if it was reported, or failing that, the MID untraced driver scheme (with a £300 excess). Nothing gets done until it's cheaper to act than to ignore it.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

covent.gardens
World Clap Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have accelerated for a rear wheel skid. I can't confidently explain why. I just know I wouldn't have.

I think it's because if you are losing grip on the rear wheel, then any action (braking or accelerating) is usually only going to result in less grip and make things worse. My instinct would have been to pull in the clutch and coast, which is probably better than what you did, but still not the ideal thing to do.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:34 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to all of us.

I have so far avoided coming off from a rear end slide, which probably means on the way home from work tonight i will have one that puts me on the floor.

I have always though that whacking the throttle on or off is a bad idea.

If the rear is sliding, more power will prolong the slide, if and when it grips again, the angle to return the bike to an upright position is larger than it would have been, resulting in a bigger high-side than it would have been.

On the other hand, snapping the throttle closed may shorten the slide, but will still cause a violent tank slapper.

I have always made a minimal roll of of the throttle if the rear end has slid. probably just a couple of degrees rotation though. Seems to have worked so far (touch wood).

If i spot diesel on the road that is unavoidable (very rarely it is unavoidable) i'll always roll off completely and straighten the bike up and riding through as little of it as possible, without touching the brakes. But then again, i have a v-twin with a ridiculous amount of engine braking.

Also it really pisses me off how people can't seem to fuel their cars/vans/lorries with diesel. If diesel is coming from the overflow pipe, they are losing money and potentially causing accidents.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000


Last edited by Dalemac on 13:37 - 09 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:35 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1, You see diesel, get completely off the throttle.
2, Wheel Spins why the fuck would you give it more gas? Wheel is spinning because the limit of get has been exceeded, putting more power threw it is worst thing you can do.

Had it been me and I saw the diesel. I would have put the bike as upright as possible pulled in the clutch and coasted over it.

That way you are asking the least from the tyres and the chances of loosing grip is slim.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:


On the other hand, snapping the throttle closed may shorten the slide, but will still cause a violent tank slapper.



A violent 20mph tankslapper? Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

baggylastard
Nova Slayer



Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

worst thing to do is come off the throttle or clutch in, keep everything the same and usually everything is fine, the bike will sort itself out.
adding a fistful more throttle is just likely to step the back our further.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Dale_Mckeown wrote:


On the other hand, snapping the throttle closed may shorten the slide, but will still cause a violent tank slapper.



A violent 20mph tankslapper? Laughing


I was talking about my experiences, not the OP's.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

baggylastard wrote:
worst thing to do is .. clutch in.


Why is that then
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
baggylastard wrote:
worst thing to do is .. clutch in.


Why is that then


Because you are losing gyroscopic movement from the engine internals from a significant drip in revs? /dunno.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
chris-red wrote:


Why is that then


Because you are losing gyroscopic movement from the engine internals from a significant drip in revs? /dunno.


Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Dale_Mckeown wrote:
Because you are losing gyroscopic movement from the engine internals from a significant drip in revs? /dunno.


Laughing


You may laugh, but have you ever ridden a motorcycle in a ridiculous side wind? Like struggling just to stay on your side of the road?

Trust me, sitting in a lower gear with higher RPM make a massive difference in keeping the bike going straight in a side wind!
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Highwayman
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

covent.gardens wrote:
My instinct would have been to pull in the clutch and coast, which is probably better than what you did, but still not the ideal thing to do.



As Covent Gdn says...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
baggylastard wrote:
worst thing to do is .. clutch in.


Why is that then


Try it next time you get on the bike. RIde along then pull the clutch in.

I would imagine you'll find you decelerate slightly which in turn would cause the shock to unload, the rear to go slightly light and the front to load up.

For what it's woprth, I suspect OP actually had a front-end slide/wibble.

In my experience, the rear fishtailing makes the bars go from side to side (or more often the case, the bars going side to side makes the rear fishtail).

I also can't think why diesel would make you fishtail, having been on horribly frictionless surfaces, including snow and ice, it usually simply goes down on one side.

If you fishtailed, it was probably coming from the front-end, like in the case of abruptly hitting deep snow or mud where the front wheel digs in and decelerates violently, looses grip, slides, unloads the suspension and off you get.

OP mentioned going through roadworks. I wonder if the road had been surface-planed into stripes ready for a new surface? The front wheel will tend to pick up the linear scoring on the road and feel very shaky and out of control. It's most unpleasant but usually doesn't come to anything if you don't do anything agressive in terms of manouvering.

In any case, in an incidence of recuced grip or a handling problem, my first instinct is to keep everything dead neutral. So neither accelerating, decelerating or braking and keeping my weight evenly distributed between the saddle and the balls of my feet. I try not to grip the bars too hard (easier said than done) and look for something soft to hit out of the traffic.

In order to avoid decelerating (and unloading the rear/loading the front), you need to keep the bike in gear with a little bit of throttle onto overcome rolling resistance. What I'd call neutral throttle.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP saw the fuel in advance any suspension movement will be long done before he hit it. Cutting drive like means the bike will roll and there will be the least amount forces acting through the tire possible. Having any throttle on when the grip level changes means the wheel is more likely to break traction and if it does being on the throttle will make the wheel to spin making the problem worse as the lack of grip will instantly put less load on the engine causing it to rev higher.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen anyone mention this above, so my two pennies are:

Any odd looking surface, I'm up on my toes. Bum off the seat means you can feel, absorb and react to inputs from the bike.

I'm not saying it would have saved that though. Diesel should be banned from the road. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Not seen anyone mention this above, so my two pennies are:

Any odd looking surface, I'm up on my toes. Bum off the seat means you can feel, absorb and react to inputs from the bike.

I'm not saying it would have saved that though. Diesel should be banned from the road. Laughing


I prefer sitting as I find you can kick the bike up if you lose the front. I actually did this yesterday when I was caught out by some wet sand in the middle of the road and the front slid what felt like 6 ft (probably 6 inches Laughing )
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Karlbristol
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 02 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses and advice it is appreciated Thumbs Up

It's a relatively tight corner and as I was advancing through it I saw the diesel but didn't have loads of time to react/think about the situation. In hindsight maybe going a bit slower than 20mph could have helped. When I saw it I hoped that luck would see me though if I'm being completely honest.

I initially maintained the same revs as I was worried about dropping them off mid corner (I was in second gear IIRC). As I rode through the diesel it felt like the rear end was weaving/fish tailing and that I was going to loose it to the right. Instinctively I revved higher.

In hindsight and thinking logically about it as most of you have said I probably should have dropped the revs instead of increasing them. The only thing that popped into my head whilst I was panicking is that when I used to loose balance doing U-turns and I was taught to blip the revs so that the gyroscopic effect lifted the bike upright. It clearly didn't work well on this occasion Laughing

So the general consensus is to drop the revs off or right down and try to coast through?

The resurfacing works definitely didn't help things.

The crash was an odd experience of taking an age but being done in a flash. It's hard to explain. Anyway - I officially hate diesel!!
____________________
Currently riding: GSX650
Currently own but rarely drive: Boring family '12 plate VRS Octavia estate
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy-Duck
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what felt like 6 ft (probably 6 inches )


Yea, we all know what men are like with exaduration...... Rolling Eyes
____________________
Passed Mod 2 19th June 2014. First 'Big Bike' Ducati Monster 600 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy-Duck wrote:
Yea, we all know what men are like with exaduration...... Rolling Eyes
And now we all know what ducks are like with spelling, crazy or no.

Protip: Condescension tends to work best from a position of unassailable superiority.
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Crazy-Duck
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, never was very good at spelling and even worse when in a rush to leave work.
____________________
Passed Mod 2 19th June 2014. First 'Big Bike' Ducati Monster 600 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any help fixing it I am in Bristol, a few members can vouch for my spannering skills.
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 140.69 Kb