|
|
| Author |
Message |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:43 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: Have You got The Perfect Bike? |
 |
|
So how many of you truly believe you have the bike you really want? By that I mean, there's nothing out there you'd change it for, given you can only have the one?
I think that's actually where I'm at with my 4th Fazer FZS1000. I've thought about it off and on for the whole year of ownership of this particular one, and still there is nothing I'd rather have as an only bike.
I did do some mods to this one, and there are one or two other things I'd like to do to it given the spare cash, but still I don't want anything in it's place.
There's absolutely no doubt that there are many other bikes I would like to try, and as I will be settling the outstanding balance on the loan for this one next week, I'll be saving for a second bike, which I guess I'd then be happy to chop and change as something else takes my fancy. But not this one.
When I was younger, I used to trade bikes in fairly regularly, and sometimes ended up with things that just didn't suit what I used a bike for, but it didn't really bother me, as I just thought I could always trade again for something more right. But then, I'd trade a bike that was eminently suitable to my requirements for some looney tunes stroker or some such - point is, I really wasn't that bothered, but now....well, now, you'd have to prise my Fazer from my cold, dead fingers to get me to part with it. In fact, after losing the last three of em, for whatever reasons, I had no hesitation in simply replacing them with the same model as soon as circumstances allowed.
So who is entirely happy with the bike they now own (Kickstart need not apply - you just own everything! ). |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:53 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Mine's close, but not perfect. I want better range (so a larger tank or better MPG - ideally both) and the foot position bringing back so I can take some weight on my legs in potholesville.
Essentially, I think I want my Enfield back  ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RhynoCZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RhynoCZ Super Spammer

Joined: 09 Mar 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:57 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not yet, although the ZXR is nice, I must say.  ____________________ '87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Skudd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Skudd Super Spammer

Joined: 01 Oct 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marmalade |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marmalade World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Apr 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:59 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
The pan euro is about as close as you'll get to being perfect to me.
Better range would be helpful but 300 miles is better than most, a bit more poke would be nice but it's no sports bike and still a lot of bike to stop. ____________________ Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Monty- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Monty- World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Apr 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:00 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nope, not at the moment. The CB5 is way too slow and has absolutely no weather protection. Up to 200 miles to a tank is nice, but I would prefer 300
Saying that, it's still a pretty good bike, reliable, good MPG and fairly comfortable to ride. ____________________ Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smithyithy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smithyithy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 15 Feb 2013 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:04 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Actually, yeah..
The Daytona 675 is easily my favourite 600-class bike, and the 2012 'R is my favourite version of it
I mean I'd swap it for something ridiculous like a BMW HP4 or a Panigale R, but realistically those bikes are always gonna be too good for me..
More than happy with my little British triple
I'm modifying it bit by bit, but that's just I have that bug and I like customising cars and bikes.. by all means I could've left it stock..... minus an exhaust 
Last edited by smithyithy on 18:06 - 09 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnnyarctic |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnnyarctic Scooby Slapper

Joined: 20 Dec 2011 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:06 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
pretty happy with the VFR750 to be honest. its all i need - but i do want to try other bikes. some kind of sportsbike  ____________________ Current Ride: VFR750 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:08 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
CBR6 last of the carb'd ones. I had it until quite recently.
Its fast,
OK on fuel
Handles well
brakes well
Crashes well
OK on maintenance costs.
It was also my lucky bike and I managed to pull off multiple magic tricks on it.
I'm wishing I'd just repaired the damned thing instead of selling it tbh. ____________________ Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| smithyithy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 smithyithy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 15 Feb 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:15 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Dale_Mckeown wrote: | There is no such thing as a perfect bike.
There are always downsides to something.
For a example, a bike that is perfect on track is not going to be a perfect tourer. A bike that is perfect at touring is going to be pants on a track.
To get perfection in all scenarios, you need a garage full of bikes, each perfect at their own thing.
Some bikes can and are used for more than one purpose, but they are always a compromise. My Falco for example, will do touring without fuss and will do a track-day without fuss, but it isn't perfect at either. |
Yep, I absolutely agree with this. And I think that's why I love the Fazers so much. There are many bikes that will take one or two aspects of what the Fazer does, and do it much better. But I can think of nothing that will do all the Fazer does as well as it does it.
I can cane it along a fast, winding bit of Welsh A road, and not too many things will come past. I can, at a push, manhandle it along a tight, twisty country B road at a fair clip and it's still enjoyable. I can load it up with everything but the kitchen sink and tour in comfort with plenty of power on tap. It'll eat motorways for breakfast and then ask for more. And it's surprisingly nimble for a bit of town work, although it's definitely not what you'd choose if you had to do a lot of that.
So yes, I know "the perfect bike" is a very subjective thing, but as we're all limited to what's actually available, and many of us can only afford one at a time, how close can YOU get? Or, in other words, what bike would you be happy with for years at a time, if you could have ONE of anything? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| reed |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 reed Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Oct 2012 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:18 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
For me, I feel my Hornet is near to perfect. I didn't go out looking for one when I bought it two years ago, it just came up. It looked nice so I had a bid and won it for a decent price on eBay, in the 2 years I've had it it has never gone wrong, other than a faulty rectifier which took about 10 minutes to change.
I've put 12,000 miles on it in the 2 years I've had it, and done 3 track sessions at lydden hill, in which I felt it did relatively well. Although I've never done a trackday on anything else to compare.
It's the first bike I got my knee down on, and the first bike I have learnt to do decentish wheelies on, also the first bike I've had that is reliable and worth looking after in my eyes.
I do keep considering selling it for a GSXR/ZX6/CBR etc. But I know I'll miss it, plus I've just bought a Hagon shock for it, so it can only get better.  ____________________ Generic XOR 50, Gilera SMT 50, GSXR 400 GK73A, Ducati Monster 600, Honda Hornet 600.
Sold. Stolen. Written off. Sold. Current. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:21 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Need to try sooo many bikes before I can even comment! ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WD Forte |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WD Forte World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Jun 2010 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dalemac |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dalemac World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:22 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| chickenstrip wrote: | Yep, I absolutely agree with this. And I think that's why I love the Fazers so much. There are many bikes that will take one or two aspects of what the Fazer does, and do it much better. But I can think of nothing that will do all the Fazer does as well as it does it.
I can cane it along a fast, winding bit of Welsh A road, and not too many things will come past. I can, at a push, manhandle it along a tight, twisty country B road at a fair clip and it's still enjoyable. I can load it up with everything but the kitchen sink and tour in comfort with plenty of power on tap. It'll eat motorways for breakfast and then ask for more. And it's surprisingly nimble for a bit of town work, although it's definitely not what you'd choose if you had to do a lot of that.
So yes, I know "the perfect bike" is a very subjective thing, but as we're all limited to what's actually available, and many of us can only afford one at a time, how close can YOU get? Or, in other words, what bike would you be happy with for years at a time, if you could have ONE of anything? |
Exactly. I am perfectly happy with the Falco as a do-it-all machine, it will do pretty much anything i ask of it, but it isn't perfect at anything. If anything, it is the best compromise for what I need it to do. ____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| arry |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 arry Super Spammer
Joined: 03 Jan 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Itchy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Itchy Super Spammer

Joined: 07 Apr 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Howling TerrorOutOfOffice |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Howling TerrorOutOfOffice Super Spammer

Joined: 05 Dec 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nowhere.elysium |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nowhere.elysium The Pork Lord

Joined: 02 Mar 2009 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:22 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Very, very happy with the GS. Old enough to require regular spannering, fantastically smooth ride, rare enough to get the whole 'not seen one of those in a while' comments, and it's insanely comfortable.
Of course, being happy with one bike doesn't preclude you from getting another one alongside it, in my opinion.  ____________________ '10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| m3-paul |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 m3-paul Spanner Monkey
Joined: 03 Feb 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:58 - 09 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think my 1997 fireblade is my perfect bike.
I love the looks, I am very much stuck in the 90s when it comes to bike design . It can have superb economy if needed, is comfy enough for huge distances in one day at high speed if needed but can tear it up on the country lanes. Also has incredible build quality.
Genuinely can't see me selling it. ____________________ Yamaha TZR250 - love the smell of TTS!!!!
CBR900RR Fireblade - so much fun |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Irn-Bru |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Irn-Bru World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|