Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Have You got The Perfect Bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Have You got The Perfect Bike? Reply with quote

So how many of you truly believe you have the bike you really want? By that I mean, there's nothing out there you'd change it for, given you can only have the one?

I think that's actually where I'm at with my 4th Fazer FZS1000. I've thought about it off and on for the whole year of ownership of this particular one, and still there is nothing I'd rather have as an only bike.

I did do some mods to this one, and there are one or two other things I'd like to do to it given the spare cash, but still I don't want anything in it's place.

There's absolutely no doubt that there are many other bikes I would like to try, and as I will be settling the outstanding balance on the loan for this one next week, I'll be saving for a second bike, which I guess I'd then be happy to chop and change as something else takes my fancy. But not this one.

When I was younger, I used to trade bikes in fairly regularly, and sometimes ended up with things that just didn't suit what I used a bike for, but it didn't really bother me, as I just thought I could always trade again for something more right. But then, I'd trade a bike that was eminently suitable to my requirements for some looney tunes stroker or some such - point is, I really wasn't that bothered, but now....well, now, you'd have to prise my Fazer from my cold, dead fingers to get me to part with it. In fact, after losing the last three of em, for whatever reasons, I had no hesitation in simply replacing them with the same model as soon as circumstances allowed.

So who is entirely happy with the bike they now own (Kickstart need not apply - you just own everything! Laughing ).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's close, but not perfect. I want better range (so a larger tank or better MPG - ideally both) and the foot position bringing back so I can take some weight on my legs in potholesville.

Essentially, I think I want my Enfield back Smile
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, although the ZXR is nice, I must say. Thumbs Up
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is close too. Just want the Varadero a bit taller and bigger, slightly bigger tank and a bit more off road ability. More an Africa Twin/Varadero cross with a hint of KTM and BMW thrown in for good measure. There is nothing out there at the moment that I would swap for.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pan euro is about as close as you'll get to being perfect to me.

Better range would be helpful but 300 miles is better than most, a bit more poke would be nice but it's no sports bike and still a lot of bike to stop.
____________________
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Monty-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not at the moment. The CB5 is way too slow and has absolutely no weather protection. Up to 200 miles to a tank is nice, but I would prefer 300 Cool

Saying that, it's still a pretty good bike, reliable, good MPG and fairly comfortable to ride.
____________________
Present: [Kawasaki ZX7r][Suzuki DRZ 400s]
Past: [Honda PCX 125] [Yamaha RXS 100] [Honda CB 500] [Triumph Speed Four] [Honda ST1100 Pan European - Po-Po Edition]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as a perfect bike.

There are always downsides to something.

For a example, a bike that is perfect on track is not going to be a perfect tourer. A bike that is perfect at touring is going to be pants on a track.

To get perfection in all scenarios, you need a garage full of bikes, each perfect at their own thing.

Some bikes can and are used for more than one purpose, but they are always a compromise. My Falco for example, will do touring without fuss and will do a track-day without fuss, but it isn't perfect at either.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, yeah..

The Daytona 675 is easily my favourite 600-class bike, and the 2012 'R is my favourite version of it Smile

I mean I'd swap it for something ridiculous like a BMW HP4 or a Panigale R, but realistically those bikes are always gonna be too good for me..

More than happy with my little British triple Cool

I'm modifying it bit by bit, but that's just I have that bug and I like customising cars and bikes.. by all means I could've left it stock..... minus an exhaust Idea


Last edited by smithyithy on 18:06 - 09 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnnyarctic
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty happy with the VFR750 to be honest. its all i need - but i do want to try other bikes. some kind of sportsbike Thumbs Up
____________________
Current Ride: VFR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
There is no such thing as a perfect bike.

There are always downsides to something.

For a example, a bike that is perfect on track is not going to be a perfect tourer. A bike that is perfect at touring is going to be pants on a track.


What if track days don't interest you? Or touring? Or green laning? "Perfect" is down to the individual's needs and wants.
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR6 last of the carb'd ones. I had it until quite recently.

Its fast,

OK on fuel

Handles well

brakes well

Crashes well

OK on maintenance costs.

It was also my lucky bike and I managed to pull off multiple magic tricks on it.

I'm wishing I'd just repaired the damned thing instead of selling it tbh.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:09 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Dale_Mckeown wrote:
There is no such thing as a perfect bike.

There are always downsides to something.

For a example, a bike that is perfect on track is not going to be a perfect tourer. A bike that is perfect at touring is going to be pants on a track.


What if track days don't interest you? Or touring? Or green laning? "Perfect" is down to the individual's needs and wants.


Exacto. If I had room and space, I'd have the 675, a tourer, a track bike, and enduro etc etc.. But I have the one bike that fits my most required purpose for a bike - to blast around great roads in great weather with friends Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Dale_Mckeown wrote:
There is no such thing as a perfect bike.

There are always downsides to something.

For a example, a bike that is perfect on track is not going to be a perfect tourer. A bike that is perfect at touring is going to be pants on a track.


What if track days don't interest you? Or touring? Or green laning? "Perfect" is down to the individual's needs and wants.


It's not "The Perfect Bike", it's "The Perfect Bike for You"

The perfect bike would have to do everything possible on two wheel, and do it better than everything else.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:15 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:
There is no such thing as a perfect bike.

There are always downsides to something.

For a example, a bike that is perfect on track is not going to be a perfect tourer. A bike that is perfect at touring is going to be pants on a track.

To get perfection in all scenarios, you need a garage full of bikes, each perfect at their own thing.

Some bikes can and are used for more than one purpose, but they are always a compromise. My Falco for example, will do touring without fuss and will do a track-day without fuss, but it isn't perfect at either.


Yep, I absolutely agree with this. And I think that's why I love the Fazers so much. There are many bikes that will take one or two aspects of what the Fazer does, and do it much better. But I can think of nothing that will do all the Fazer does as well as it does it.

I can cane it along a fast, winding bit of Welsh A road, and not too many things will come past. I can, at a push, manhandle it along a tight, twisty country B road at a fair clip and it's still enjoyable. I can load it up with everything but the kitchen sink and tour in comfort with plenty of power on tap. It'll eat motorways for breakfast and then ask for more. And it's surprisingly nimble for a bit of town work, although it's definitely not what you'd choose if you had to do a lot of that.

So yes, I know "the perfect bike" is a very subjective thing, but as we're all limited to what's actually available, and many of us can only afford one at a time, how close can YOU get? Or, in other words, what bike would you be happy with for years at a time, if you could have ONE of anything?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale_Mckeown wrote:


It's not "The Perfect Bike", it's "The Perfect Bike for You"

The perfect bike would have to do everything possible on two wheel, and do it better than everything else.


^^ this, absolutely. That's what I'm getting at.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

reed
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I feel my Hornet is near to perfect. I didn't go out looking for one when I bought it two years ago, it just came up. It looked nice so I had a bid and won it for a decent price on eBay, in the 2 years I've had it it has never gone wrong, other than a faulty rectifier which took about 10 minutes to change. Smile

I've put 12,000 miles on it in the 2 years I've had it, and done 3 track sessions at lydden hill, in which I felt it did relatively well. Although I've never done a trackday on anything else to compare. Laughing

It's the first bike I got my knee down on, and the first bike I have learnt to do decentish wheelies on, also the first bike I've had that is reliable and worth looking after in my eyes.

I do keep considering selling it for a GSXR/ZX6/CBR etc. But I know I'll miss it, plus I've just bought a Hagon shock for it, so it can only get better. Very Happy
____________________
Generic XOR 50, Gilera SMT 50, GSXR 400 GK73A, Ducati Monster 600, Honda Hornet 600.
Sold. Stolen. Written off. Sold. Current.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to try sooo many bikes before I can even comment!
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
I don't believe in 'perfect' bikes but I'm fairly happy with what I have
Nowadays I just have the one bike
A 1979 Cx500 based bike built from spare parts and odds an ends from other bikes.
It was going to be a rat bike but my constant tinkering makes
it look more respectable than it is, I call it tart bike.

Fast?
Hell yeah if you compare it to say a CG125
It'll easily stay at the 70-80 all day long though

Sexy ?
Dont make me larf

Reliable?
Yep go anywhere sorta bike but that's cos I look after it and
know every nut,bolt, cable and gadget on the thing so anyone else with anything
else equally well maintained would probably say the same.

MPG
I always want better mpg but it will sometimes give 55 on a run
If I dont cane it too hard

Faults/imperfections
Plenty of imperfections.
Worst is probably the valve stem oil seals gone brittle which cause
a puff on start up and some excess oil consumption
but I dont want to whip the heads off just now, so live with it.

Its comfy, easy to fling about in city traffic
scruffy enough not to worry over scratches, stains and stuff
Non standard, slightly ratty so no pressure to keep original
I never liked the standard CX for looks anyway

Most importantly I still enjoy riding it
and that's the thing IMO
If youre having fun on what ever it is you ride, its a good bike.


Last edited by WD Forte on 18:22 - 09 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dalemac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:22 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Yep, I absolutely agree with this. And I think that's why I love the Fazers so much. There are many bikes that will take one or two aspects of what the Fazer does, and do it much better. But I can think of nothing that will do all the Fazer does as well as it does it.

I can cane it along a fast, winding bit of Welsh A road, and not too many things will come past. I can, at a push, manhandle it along a tight, twisty country B road at a fair clip and it's still enjoyable. I can load it up with everything but the kitchen sink and tour in comfort with plenty of power on tap. It'll eat motorways for breakfast and then ask for more. And it's surprisingly nimble for a bit of town work, although it's definitely not what you'd choose if you had to do a lot of that.

So yes, I know "the perfect bike" is a very subjective thing, but as we're all limited to what's actually available, and many of us can only afford one at a time, how close can YOU get? Or, in other words, what bike would you be happy with for years at a time, if you could have ONE of anything?


Exactly. I am perfectly happy with the Falco as a do-it-all machine, it will do pretty much anything i ask of it, but it isn't perfect at anything. If anything, it is the best compromise for what I need it to do.
____________________
YBR125 -> GPZ500S -> SL1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer



Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:22 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Nowhere near it.

Firstly, the Sprint is a bit too heavy really. That bothers me.

Secondly, I bought it as a bit of a do it all bike. But now I'm looking to do a tour some things have come to light which kind of pee me off; it's just how completely spastic my bike is as a sports tourer.

The panniers are really useful, if everything you want to take happens to be square and of a certain size. Can't get a tank bag without mega expense as it's a plastic tank and TBH the tank is so high that it'd just be in the way anyway. Can't get a standard tail pack as there's no bungie strap mount points etc. Can't strap around rear seat as under-slung exhaust would set fire to everything. So, my old CBR would have been more practical. Great.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Nope. Nowhere near it.

Firstly, the Sprint is a bit too heavy really. That bothers me.

Secondly, I bought it as a bit of a do it all bike. But now I'm looking to do a tour some things have come to light which kind of pee me off; it's just how completely spastic my bike is as a sports tourer.

The panniers are really useful, if everything you want to take happens to be square and of a certain size. Can't get a tank bag without mega expense as it's a plastic tank and TBH the tank is so high that it'd just be in the way anyway. Can't get a standard tail pack as there's no bungie strap mount points etc. Can't strap around rear seat as under-slung exhaust would set fire to everything. So, my old CBR would have been more practical. Great.



Would you like some destroyable hard panniers? i.e just drill them to fit onto your current pannier mount points? I have a spare pair of Nonfango 848s.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:29 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Perfect" is down to the individual's needs and wants.
..and wallet. Thumbs Up

CG125 should have been the perfect bike for a learner, but it wasn't for me. The XL125 I had before it was perfect.
I got used to it moving underneath me when messing about on mud and stone and it gave me the confidence I required at the time.

The 250 road bike I had on A2 was perfect...and still got it...Not so perfect as I got the ST2 after 16months into restriction.

The 944 twin is perfect, or would be if I got an uprated spring for it when fully laden with 2up. I'll miss it when it dies....or I bin it.
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord



Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very happy with the GS. Old enough to require regular spannering, fantastically smooth ride, rare enough to get the whole 'not seen one of those in a while' comments, and it's insanely comfortable.

Of course, being happy with one bike doesn't preclude you from getting another one alongside it, in my opinion. Shifty
____________________
'10 SV650SF, '83 GS650GT (it lives!), Questionable DIY dash project, 3D Printer project, Lasercutter project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

m3-paul
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my 1997 fireblade is my perfect bike.

I love the looks, I am very much stuck in the 90s when it comes to bike design Embarassed . It can have superb economy if needed, is comfy enough for huge distances in one day at high speed if needed but can tear it up on the country lanes. Also has incredible build quality.

Genuinely can't see me selling it.
____________________
Yamaha TZR250 - love the smell of TTS!!!!
CBR900RR Fireblade - so much fun
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:22 - 09 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my current needs and wants, yep.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.17 Sec - Server Load: 0.55 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 141.67 Kb