Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tyre choices for my mountain bike for the road

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:56 - 18 Jul 2014    Post subject: Tyre choices for my mountain bike for the road Reply with quote

I'm mostly just a cycle route warrior and so the knobblie type tires on my Gt Agressor (edit) are pointless and just slowing me down. The types of cycle routes I use range from paths to gravel but I'm sure I'd be fine on 100% road tyres, I've seen loads of people on road bikes, mostly flying past me of course Very Happy Obviously I am using the wrong type of bike but it's practically brand new (done less than 150 miles on it) and I'm not getting rid any time soon. I just lock the forks and it seems alright.

https://i.imgur.com/vUhtu.jpg

(wish it was this clean at the minute)

On the flat I can cruise at around 14 - 15mph, I reckon road tyres would add a few to that, at least that's what I hope.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM


Last edited by Irn-Bru on 20:40 - 18 Jul 2014; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 18 Jul 2014    Post subject: Re: Tyre choices for my mountain bike for the road Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
On the flat I can cruise at around 14 - 15mph, I reckon road tyres would add a few to that, at least that's what I hope.

I've got a mountain bike with knobblies and quite merrily average 20mph on the flat.

I thought about getting road tyres for my bike but decided it would just make it easier, therefore I'd get less fit, so I'm sticking with the knobblies!

Stick with the knobblies I say - you'll be fitter!
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:16 - 18 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-travel-contact-city-mtb-tyre/

I got on really well with those and never had any punctures when using them, whilst initially sceptical about the 'puncture protection technology' as much confidence grew I no longer bothered riding around broken glass on roads or towpaths.

My only gripe was the grip in the wet wasn't great.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:27 - 18 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before we start, that's a GT Aggressor, not a Carrera GT Wink

Anyway, I've got some Specialized Nimbus 1.5 dedicated road tyres that are lovely for what they are, very fast for the tarmac, but they make my bike look like shit, so I don't use em...

In the past I've used Panaracer Mach SS 1.95, which would eat up tarmac and light trails, but were puncture prone due to their light weight.

Currently I'm using Kenda Small Block 8 1.95, which are an XC tyre, and a bit heavier, but they're pretty sturdy and fast on tarmac. These are a good compromise of the weight/function/look in my eyes.

For off road, I use Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, but on tarmac those things are slow, don't corner well, and above all, bloody noisy. I'd generally avoid anything over 1.95 for road use.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:44 - 18 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shows how much I know about bikes Laughing

That's another thing I hate about the tires it has, cornering is a bit hairy on tarmac. Not really bothered about looks or noise etc. How much do a typical set of tires go for?
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BumpingUglys
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 18 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

They generally go from £10 to £as much as you can afford.

Have a look at Chain Reaction (sorted by mtb 26" road tyres, cheapest first). Those guys have been spot on for bits over the years.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided I couldn't be bothered to order online so just went to Halfords and bought a set of which I had heard of online (Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.5).

https://i.imgur.com/N5yBkrP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iRuFmWc.jpg

Looks quite dodgy especially with the mud guards but don't really care, steering feels light as fook and rolls very nicely now when I tested it around the block, started pissing down soon after of course. Also barely any road noise, the knobbies were very loud. I'll have to use my bell more often now usually people hear me coming Razz

One thing I am curious about is the tire says 80psi on the side but I stopped at 55 as it was rock solid. Same for the off road tyres they said 55 or 65 but I didn't dare put over 40 in.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of schwalbe tyres and use them on my own bikes. Thumbs Up

Pump them up to the max. If it's rattling your teeth out, let some out.

If they are pumped up hard, it'll be easier to pedal and less likely to get a puncture.

If you find you're spinning out on it, you might be able to rock a smaller casette on it. to give you some higher range gears. I think you have a 14-34. You could probably fit an 11-28 in its place for around £15.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's usually a fair amount of gravel sections on the routes I use so I think 55 will suit me fine, we will see. The mini pump I carry with me is rated up to 120psi so I can adjust on the go anyway.

Whilst in Halfords I spotted these:

https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp5

yay or nay? Bit pricey but look comfy.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rigga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the schwalbe city jets too, great tyres.
____________________
Current bike: Honda CBR 1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres are amazing fun and are highly recommended. Mr. Green

Cycling past cars that are wheel spinning on black ice is lulz. Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:48 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:

Whilst in Halfords I spotted these:

https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp5

yay or nay? Bit pricey but look comfy.


Lot of money for a plastic bar end and a grip...

I personally do like extra hand positions but you could get a set of conventional alloy bar ends for under a tenner.

Actually, you can get ergonomic, carbon fibre ones for £40.

Stop buying bike stuff from halfords. 1) They on the whole know nothing about bicycles* and 2) They are overpriced.

The only thing halfords have going for them is that they are open for long hours, carry a reasonable stock and there is usually one nearby.

Try here

* Just this minute got off the phone from a friend who put her cyclocross bike into halfords for a service. They had it 10 days and when it came back it wouldn't select gears and was skipping teeth. They took it back and fiddled some more. Next time out her (new) chain snapped. They have had it for a total of three weeks. Whatever they did fucked her FSA chainset (which takes a lot of doing) and her rear mech. They have landed up replacing her entire groupset and have gone through four chains! From what she says I strongly suspect they initially fitted the wrong type of chain (I suspect a 7-speed chain on a 9-speed casette) or a directional chain the wrong way round, compounded the error by making it too short then persisted in fucking with it to make it work until they had wrecked the entire transmission.

The only good bit is she has not had to pay for it.

____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:00 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Halfrauds Bike Hut people do know their stuff, student aged people in my experience.

I'd agree with Mr Stinky about not buying stuff from them, although with some haggling you can get reasonable enough price. This is haggle with the student people who know their stuff and also know how expensive the off the shelf prices are.

Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle or Evans Cycles are all good bets. They all have free delivery so just order from whoever is cheapest and it makes no difference to you if your stuff is split over deliveries from the three.

Also, don't forget the cashback. Chain Reaction cashback, Evans cashback and Wiggle cashback. Smile (there aren't referral links)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:56 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's me sold, knocked 25 minutes off my usual route and increased my average speed by ~3mph Cool Need to add more air in the tyres I think and raise my saddle a few CM.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.15 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 86.51 Kb