|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Baffler186 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Baffler186 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: Wife won't talk to me |
 |
|
I need advice please: long post but background required I think:
I met my wife 5 years ago, and then we got married in 2011. In 2012 she was diagnosed with Aspergers, although she was told she was at the very low end of the spectrum. To be honest I never associated any of the symptoms to her i.e. I always thought she was "normal". Of course she had traits that one might find in people with Aspergers, but many other people I know also have these traits (forgetfulness, not good with faces/facial recognition, often doesn't get jokes and sarcasm).
Since her diagnosis she slowly started to exaggerate her symptoms, as though she was trying to "fit in" with the Aspergers tick-boxes. She likens herself to Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" and is quite proud of it.
Anyway, this hasn't been a problem until about 6 months ago. She has now told me that she sees no point in idle conversation, with me or anyone else, and it's now got to the point where if I don't ask her about things or try to talk, she wouldn't say anything to me the entire evening. If there is something specific to talk about i.e. something we need to organise or address, then she will talk freely, but otherwise if I talk about work or anything mundane, she gives me one word answers or says I'm just complaining.
She also doesn't have any friends (apart from "friends" on Facebook) so she never goes out. More than that, she spends all of her time on the sofa glued to the iPad and/or the TV and doesn't want to do anything. She gets annoyed because she can't go out, but when I tell her to go out and do something she says she doesn't want to. Now if I say I'm going out (on the bike, or to see mates etc) she doesn't object, but always says it in the "Yeah you do that, have fun, leave me here" type way.
We started to go out every month for a meal, and we got her mum to baby-sit. This went well for about 5 months but now has been forgotten and we haven't been out together in about 3 months.
I'm mindful that she has a very hectic life - doing the school run, rushing to work 9 - 1 in a stressful Lab, looking after our 2 year-old, then doing the school run again at 3. So it could be that this is just wearing her down and she doesn't want to do anything else. However, it just seems like things are eventually going to get worse until one day she'll turn into a total hermit.
She has been to the GP about some other issues (hearing loss, anxiety) and the most recent time they said she was depressed and tried giving her medication. She is dead against anti-depressant medication, and pretty much laughed at the GP for even suggesting she might be depressed.
I've tried talking to her but she seems to think there is nothing wrong. I even said one time "you not talking to me makes me feel like you're not interested in anything I do". And she replied "well, I'm not!" It's as though since getting a diagnosis, she's using this as her ticket to be rude and abrupt.
Any advice appreciated. ____________________ Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GeorgeB. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GeorgeB. Crazy Courier

Joined: 08 Mar 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tbourner |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tbourner World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Llama-Farmer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Llama-Farmer World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gbrand42 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gbrand42 Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 23 Jul 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Baffler186 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Baffler186 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:58 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all your replies, it was good of you to read such a long post.
Yes I suppose in some ways the issue lies with me i.e. She's come to terms with something and I'm the one struggling to accept it. I've always been used to having a good chat with friends/family (my mum and sister never shut up), so sitting in silence for hours is a bit of a shock.
Her interests are food (in particular the caveman diet, she moderates a caveman forum), and watching Sci-Fi on TV (Stargate and the like).
None of this involves leaving the house, so I always feel guilty when I leave her on her own, or with the kids. We do have a family day out on a Sunday but she's always itching to get back home after a few hours to sit down again! ____________________ Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:41 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Tell her to snap out of it.
Click your fingers, smash back doors in and at the point of explosion, yell BAZINGA.
See how that goes, report back  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CBFcarl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CBFcarl Nearly there...

Joined: 29 Oct 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 18:09 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Baffler186 wrote: | Thanks for all your replies, it was good of you to read such a long post.
Yes I suppose in some ways the issue lies with me i.e. She's come to terms with something and I'm the one struggling to accept it. I've always been used to having a good chat with friends/family (my mum and sister never shut up), so sitting in silence for hours is a bit of a shock.
Her interests are food (in particular the caveman diet, she moderates a caveman forum), and watching Sci-Fi on TV (Stargate and the like).
None of this involves leaving the house, so I always feel guilty when I leave her on her own, or with the kids. We do have a family day out on a Sunday but she's always itching to get back home after a few hours to sit down again! |
There isn't anything to come to terms with, as such. If she has Aspergers, then she has always had it, and this is the person that you fell in love with. She might be exaggerating the symptoms since she had the diagnosis, or you might be picking up on it more. My 11 year old stepson has Aspergers, and his mood can really swing. If he is having a turn, it is usually through frustration. We just give him some space to calm down and chill out. Sometimes, I think he is playing up to some things because he knows what his condition is, but usually he is the same sweet, awkward, intelligent and sensitive little kid he has always been.
There are some really good sites online for sufferers of Aspergers and their families. Have a look. There might be days out for everyone. My lad loves the National Media Museum, but if it is too busy (crowds etc) then that can cause stress.
Good luck. ____________________ thx1138 wrote: Well if you had a car, I'd bet it would smell like urine had had drunken sex with vomit and made a poo baby.
Polarbear wrote: They are all old now. Probably had more abuse that a Rotherham schoolgirl.
Hellkat wrote: I want to know if Nigella smells of garlic, or just minge. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracey Suntan-King |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracey Suntan-King World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Nov 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 18:14 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Baffler, it is brave of you to set this out here. If I may I'd like to offer my take on this in order to try to help.
If someone is suffering from depression, only they can make the decision to take treatment (medicinal or other). Your wife is obviously a very intelligent woman and is probably rationalising her feelings and has the Aspergers label to pin all of it on. It will be difficult if not impossible for you to persuade her to change/get help. She won't do either till she's worked it out for herself. FWIW it does sound like depression, possibly post-natal. I think the Aspergers diagnosis is a red-herring.
In the meantime your focus or duty of care is for yourself and your child.
So, try not to get annoyed with your wife. Stress how much you do want to do stuff with her and be as supportive as your patience will allow you to be. Maybe get her Mum involved to try to get her out for an evening.
Or could you arrange a day outing with your child and get her to go too. Picnic, zoo, play park etc? If she won't go, go anyway and have a great time. She may regret missing out and so come with you next time.
When you do go out alone, try to avoid the guilt. You shouldn't feel guilty, you're entitled to 'me' time.
This isn't going to be resolved quickly or easily. You need patience, but also to remember that your conscience is clear, it's cause (whether depression or Aspergers) is nothing to do with you.
All the best
X ____________________ Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Wonko The Sane |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Wonko The Sane World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Jan 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:12 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have no idea about aspergers but wanted to offer a suggestion incase it's of help
could try undertaking a project together such as re-decorating your bedroom or your child's bedroom, working and spending time together, let her plan what things should look like and hopefully a change of scenery indoors might help her mood?
Would it be worth trying to have a 'date' getting someone to babysit and go out somewhere she likes. The wife and I often have a bucket of KFC and watch a film as we don't have many people able to babysit. ____________________ Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Copycat73 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Copycat73 World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jan 2013 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swampy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swampy World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pete. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pete. Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:37 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: Re: Wife won't talk to me |
 |
|
| Baffler186 wrote: | I need advice please: long post but background required I think:
I met my wife 5 years ago, and then we got married in 2011. In 2012 she was diagnosed with Aspergers, although she was told she was at the very low end of the spectrum. To be honest I never associated any of the symptoms to her i.e. I always thought she was "normal". Of course she had traits that one might find in people with Aspergers, but many other people I know also have these traits (forgetfulness, not good with faces/facial recognition, often doesn't get jokes and sarcasm).
Since her diagnosis she slowly started to exaggerate her symptoms, as though she was trying to "fit in" with the Aspergers tick-boxes. She likens herself to Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory" and is quite proud of it.
Anyway, this hasn't been a problem until about 6 months ago. She has now told me that she sees no point in idle conversation, with me or anyone else, and it's now got to the point where if I don't ask her about things or try to talk, she wouldn't say anything to me the entire evening. If there is something specific to talk about i.e. something we need to organise or address, then she will talk freely, but otherwise if I talk about work or anything mundane, she gives me one word answers or says I'm just complaining.
She also doesn't have any friends (apart from "friends" on Facebook) so she never goes out. More than that, she spends all of her time on the sofa glued to the iPad and/or the TV and doesn't want to do anything. She gets annoyed because she can't go out, but when I tell her to go out and do something she says she doesn't want to. Now if I say I'm going out (on the bike, or to see mates etc) she doesn't object, but always says it in the "Yeah you do that, have fun, leave me here" type way.
We started to go out every month for a meal, and we got her mum to baby-sit. This went well for about 5 months but now has been forgotten and we haven't been out together in about 3 months.
I'm mindful that she has a very hectic life - doing the school run, rushing to work 9 - 1 in a stressful Lab, looking after our 2 year-old, then doing the school run again at 3. So it could be that this is just wearing her down and she doesn't want to do anything else. However, it just seems like things are eventually going to get worse until one day she'll turn into a total hermit.
She has been to the GP about some other issues (hearing loss, anxiety) and the most recent time they said she was depressed and tried giving her medication. She is dead against anti-depressant medication, and pretty much laughed at the GP for even suggesting she might be depressed.
I've tried talking to her but she seems to think there is nothing wrong. I even said one time "you not talking to me makes me feel like you're not interested in anything I do". And she replied "well, I'm not!" It's as though since getting a diagnosis, she's using this as her ticket to be rude and abrupt.
Any advice appreciated. |
She should be introduced to my niece, who is 24 and was told yesterday that she won't see the week out. Perhaps that might put things into perspective for her. ____________________ a.k.a 'Geri'
132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:37 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: Re: Wife won't talk to me |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tbourner |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tbourner World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Mar 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| swampy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 swampy World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mudcow007 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mudcow007 World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Feb 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:31 - 30 Jul 2014 Post subject: Re: Wife won't talk to me |
 |
|
shit dude thats terrible......
Baffler...
my mrs's mum has Aspergers (not diagnosed but deffo has it) one minute your best friend the next rant and raving for no apparent reason, she ended up no coping an is now a fully fledged alcoholic after losing her job in the NHS (she was a nurse)
unfortunately her parents marriage couldn't cope an they have now divorced
i know thats all doom an gloom, but we been through it, it wasnt pretty
Last edited by mudcow007 on 22:36 - 30 Jul 2014; edited 2 times in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sload |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sload World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Aug 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| krarkol |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 krarkol World Chat Champion

Joined: 17 Oct 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Llama-Farmer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Llama-Farmer World Chat Champion

Joined: 23 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 08:33 - 31 Jul 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| krarkol wrote: | I reckon most people have some form of aspergers anyway. Most people I know tick a few of the boxes for it. Including myself. |
It's an autistic spectrum disorder.
Wide range of how people are affected and how severe. Everyone may be at some point of the spectrum.
| Polarbear wrote: | Probably going to get shit for this but -
Someones a cvunt - lets call it a disease and give it a fancy name so no one has to be responsible.
Someones a little hooligan who was badly brought up and now is out of control - lets call it a disease and give it a fancy name so no one has to be responsible.
etc. etc.
I'm probably totally wrong but that's the way it seems to me today. |
I think this is part of the problem with mental illness. It's not visible... because people can't SEE it they don't really believe its a real illness.
I believe there are some diseases or disorders which are questionable... as do friends and acquaintances in the medical profession.
Autism, Aspergers and PDD-NOS are definitely not them though. That usually presents with very particular traits, not just "playing up" like a naughty child or acting a cnut.
Diagnosing autism requires evaluating various things such as relationship with people, emotional responses, object use, adaptation to change, visual and listening response, taste-smell-touch response and use, fear and nervousness, verbal and non-verbal communication and level and consistency of intellectual response.
These things are all learnt by the child not taught by the parent.
I think a big problem is casual mis-diagnosis or incorrect use of terms by the public in their way of thinking. It draws ambiguity to peoples idea of what it actually is, and this misinformation leads to confusion or naivety or plain ignorance. Particularly with mental illness which can't be seen. ____________________ Current Bike: 1999 Honda CB600 FX Hornet
Next Bike: I want a CBR-RR. And I want an F800 GS-A. And a VFR 800. Can I have all 3?
Dream Bikes: Honda VFR750R RC30, Honda NSR500, Ducati 996 R |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Baffler186 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Baffler186 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|