Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


SOGA Tele speakers gone dodgy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: SOGA Tele speakers gone dodgy Reply with quote

Just want some quick advice. I bought a Tele from ARGOS for the sum of £400 (or there abouts) in November 2013. Recently we've noticed the speakers have gone shockingly bad. An 'S' sounds like 'Sh' at any volume level over 20 - It goes up to a stupidly high number, 20 is less than a third of the max.

I have my receipt for it and I want to go to the shop to say, swap it for a new one or give me my moneyz back. I (think) I know I can demand that, I don't want to have to wait however many days for them to send it for repairs blah blah.

So given I take the TV to the store (I'll even take it to the one I bought it from) with the receipt, can I request (this could elevate to demand) they replace the TV or refund my full monies?

Ta
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd reported this fault to them before 6 months then they would have needed to prove there was nothing wrong.

After 6 months you're supposed to show that it was a manufacturing defect.

However, the EU have ruled that electronics should work for a 'reasonable length of time' based on its initial cost.

You could argue that 400 quid is a lot for a telly these days and you'd expect it to work for longer than 7 months.

You're within a year anyway, I'd expect argos to replace it with the same or something similar. Have you spoken to them at all ? You don't need to be all SOGA on them unless they start to be difficult about replacing it.
____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:46 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

its within 12 months, argos are usually alright they will probably just swap it straight over for you.


but to answer your question yes you can expect that they either repair or replace it for up to 2 years. 0-6 months they should do this without question

6-24 months they would have to prove that you had damaged it before they could refuse your warranty

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:


After 6 months you're supposed to show that it was a manufacturing defect.



it up to the seller to prove that the buyers actions caused the fault, the buyer doesn't have to prove anything.
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fault happened pretty much overnight a couple of weeks back but I've been moving house and all the other excuses that put carting your 42 inch tele across town the last thing on your list.

I agree with your point about the money and the expectation of length of use and IMO they cannot doubt my claim. The TV is in perfect condition, still has the stickers around the screen Razz

I've never tried blasting out some dubstep at volume a million on it even though the TV would allow this.

I haven't been yet I want to go prearmed with information for the slight chance of an arsey manager tells me, computer says no, to save me taking the TV home, to go back again.

My opinion on this is that, while they could ask me to send it for repair, I would not want a repaired TV which cost £400, I want a perfect condition TV as was expected and I am within my rights to request that. A TV of this price point shouldn't need repairing after 9 months of general day to day use. Either replace with a TV equal to this quality or price or give me my monies back.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

best not to mention you moved house, they could well claim you damage it during the move
____________________
"The guy is a worthless cunt and I honestly believe I would be a slightly happier person if he died." - Chris-Red
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back, ask for refund, the staff aren't paid enough to care so I'd expect you'll get your money back fairly easily.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
best not to mention you moved house, they could well claim you damage it during the move


It was moved in the box it came in surrounded by the polystyrene shapes it came with.

Though they'd have to prove it was broken and the TV is in perfect cosmetic condition, though the move wouldn't be mentioned as it just doesn't matter, it was dodgy before the move.
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 07 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:


After 6 months you're supposed to show that it was a manufacturing defect.



it up to the seller to prove that the buyers actions caused the fault, the buyer doesn't have to prove anything.


From your own link....

Some website wrote:

After six months, the burden of proof switches to the buyer and it is they who must then show a fault is due to some inherent problem, something that can be almost impossible in all but the most straightforward cases.

____________________
Honda CBF125 ➝ NC700X
Honda CBF125 ↳ Speed Triple
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1GSF wrote:
Argos are generally quite good for returns.

How did OP pay? If paid by CC, I'd be going through them. S75 is it?

Even debit cards have _some_ protection.


It was debit card payment.

As for proof of damage all I can do is show the tv is in perfect condition externally, nullifying the possibility of me dropping it, having something drop on it etc etc
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:31 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fire off an email to Argos in the first instance.
Have you contacted them at all?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the simple option first, take it back, say that the speakers are broken and that you want a refund.

You could also call them and ask about it before lugging the TV back to the shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
I'd fire off an email to Argos in the first instance.
Have you contacted them at all?


Gonna go into the shop tomorrow with it, it'll be harder to fob me off. A 6ft2 beardy ginger can't easily be missed...
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday is good cos they'll be plenty of customers in the shop. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Saturday is good cos they'll be plenty of customers in the shop. Mr. Green


Exactly
____________________
I'm Sam; Northern, Ginger, Lover
Did have: '95 ZZR600 '83 CG125 '97 ZZR1100 '15 Hypermotard 821 SP Do Have: '10 ZX10R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are pretty good, we have been through about 4 different hoovers bought through Argos, all of them developed some sort of fault

take it back to the store in box with receipt an they swapped em straight away
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk1GSF wrote:

How did OP pay? If paid by CC, I'd be going through them. S75 is it?

Even debit cards have _some_ protection.


Well you can forget anything on the debit card in this case.

Also S75 would require cm to prove breach of contract and misrepresentation.
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name and shame the make and model of TV.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.77 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 104.52 Kb