Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Scarred (scared) for life? (poll)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

What's the worst damage you've done to yourself from a crash?
Never Crashed
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
A few scratches/road rash, nothing permanent
47%
 47%  [ 49 ]
Scared for life but otherwise okay
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Spent a while in hospital, otherwise fine
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Broke a bone or two
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
Broke several bones/internal injuries
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Lucky to walk again
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 104

Author Message

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:25 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Scarred (scared) for life? (poll) Reply with quote

By the way.. Above should say Scarred, not scared

It's a part of becoming a better rider. They say you learn most from your mistakes. For my part that is definitely true. I'll never forget sliding down the road with my pride and joy on top of me, squashing my elbow and ankle into the road. The question is simple:

We've had plenty of discussion of the damage that we've done to our bikes during a crash, the question is how much damage have we done to ourselves. Bikes can be repaired. We can too, but not as easily:

I seriously hope that nobody fits into the last category
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera


Last edited by dotti on 02:40 - 17 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Sissy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start the ball rolling. I've got a scar on my ankle and a scar on my elbow, but other than that no harm done. I learnt so much from my one and only crash that it was worth the pain.

The thing things I learnt most of all were:

    Riding to the limit leaves no room for error
    (following on from the last thing) We all make mistakes(but if you're riding at the limit mistakes hurt)
    No matter how expensive they are I must always buy good tyres.

____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera


Last edited by dotti on 00:34 - 17 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not participating in this survey as I don't want to tempt fate!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet



Joined: 11 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:31 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i crashed 3 times when i was younger thats why i gave buikes a rest , street light council lorrys and 125,s meeting head on dont mix to well really Shocked .
but not to much damage was done so now i,m older maybe i can get it rite this time
____________________
"Its Better To Burn Out Than Fade Away!!!!!!" "Lifes a bitch and then you Die"
"I`m a tool, one with just enough intelligence to know it, just enough spirit to resent it...but not enough backbone to do anything about it. " Siggi 2006 pure class. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AD
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a two proper offs and two closer to falling over at literally walking pace, both doing more damage to the bike than the proper ones.

Once on my Derbi gpr, too fast, round a corner, lean't it off the edge of its tyres lowside in to a ditch, damaged pride and £16 damage to bike!

Second was on the nurburgring last summer tight blind chicane at a top of a hill, forgot it was there dropped it on the grass around 60mph. Heavy brusing down the right side of my body and broke a toe nail, some how! Good job was in full gear, even my camera in my pocket survived!!

Have a scar on my knuckle from being pillion when i was younger and being involved in an off, but wont count it as its not really my fault.
____________________
It was like that before i got here!


Last edited by AD on 00:36 - 17 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:34 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put myself in hospital for a night, couldn't eat for about a month (had to eat/drink through straws... whilst Hustler took the piss Rolling Eyes Laughing) can't really remember any of it to be honest, got told I kept asking the same things over and over Laughing Hit a wall face first at 30or so mph after hitting the kerb (apparantly, I don't even know where it happened let alone what happened Laughing)

Didn't put me off purely cos I didn't remember it!

Off road and supermoto, well crashing does indeed teach you a few things, like for instance how to pick the bike back up Laughing
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always ride at sensible speeds. Dont ride through parks. Dont pulled out of a park onto a road that you cant see whats coming. Make sure brakes work. Make sure tyres are at correct pressure.
Im a rubbish rider really

Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:36 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
I'm not participating in this survey as I don't want to tempt fate!


Fair enough mate, I don't blame you Wink
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:43 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add my friends crash to this list... It has to be one of the more painful, for unusual reasons:

My friend came to my place (in the country side) and asked for a ride on my bike. About 700 metres from my place he got stuck in gravel on a curve (at 100km/h) and ploughed straight into an electric fence.

The bike hit a power pole, stuffing the front end, but sparing my mate from any damage other than a few scratches, but he got his head stuck in the electric fence, and was zapped for a couple of minutes until he managed to get the bike off him (which was still running with it's rear wheel in the air) and get untangled from the fence.

At the time I was pretty pissed off... looking back I'm glad he wasn't too badly hurt. Bikes can be replaced... friends can not.
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im a rubbish rider really


I bet your a better rider than before your crash though (assuming you had one. It doesn't say anywhere in your post, I'm just guessing).
____________________
Dangerous traffic offences spotted on 50-minute trip: Lost count after 100. Number of traffic cops spotted: One, sitting by a speed-trap camera
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine then, since you asked. Smile I've gone on about this too much already I can tell.

I broke my radial styloid off, and fractured the upper end of the radius whilst losing it turning right out of a junction. Embarassed I got knocked out in the process for half an hour or so, and in and out of conciousness for the next half hour or so I think. Got a screw in my wrist and 3 days in hospital, followed by 5 weeks in a cast and 3 months of physiotherapy.

If anything, it made me a better rider, as the reason I crashed was quite simple. I was riding like a knob, and an enforced 2 months off the bike made me realise that I needed to change.

It didn't put me off at all really, partly because I didn't know a thing about the accident, and partly because I'd just spent £1.5k and wasn't about to waste it. Smile

(As for all the other drops and lowsides, the less said about all that the better. Embarassed )
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:08 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They say you learn most from your mistakes.


learn more from other peoples mistakes Razz

got scars on both knees, bad road rash and one dodgy ankle Sad

Steve
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too soon after the crash to tell if the scar on my right knee will be permanent or not, I suspect it will.

It was a medium speed slide into a ditch, nothing amazing.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did crash once, but that was when I took my scooter off road onto a slippy, muddy track. Lost controll of front wheel, the bike and I both tipped over side ways and luckly it landed on some soft mud, so soft landing! Very Happy But I did hurt my back because when I landed my spine bent inwards. Thumbs Down
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I crashed in 2002, it didn't put me of as I was back biking within 2 weeks albeit with a fucked thumb and hip.

It did teach me one thing though, and that was to slow down and expect every driver to pull out in front of you, that way your always prepared.

My last crash was just a slide on my arse for a few hundred metres, didn't teach me much, apart from not drinking any alcohol at all when riding even if its just half a pint, and not to lean the bike on cold tyres on a slippery roundabout! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

8316
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking of crashin, i came the closest i have to, without crashing.i went round a roundabout today, and my tyres just washed out as i was in mid-lean. i lost my balance and luckily my foot came off the peg, and managed to support me and the bike-keeping us both upright. i thought i was gonna get crushed by the truck behind me.... Embarassed
ah well, at least i impersonated rossi when he raced at valencia 2000-makes me feel slighty better Smile -i just hope i dont crash later like he did! Smile
____________________
Now own a Fireblade!! Speed Limits? Bah!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm probably scarred for life (6 months and not gone), but my crash wasn't too bad. Just a big bang and some good old fashioned sliding along the road. Somehow I've actually never broken a bone... hopefully I'll keep it that way. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:27 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashed scooters a few times, I guess they taught me:

Arrow I'm not invincible
Arrow shit tyres *don't* hold the road *that* well
Arrow I cannot predict what's round blind corners.

My two crashes on the NSR taught me:

Arrow even good tyres hate painted lines
Arrow they hate ice too.

The worst injury I had was my third crash on the scooter, when I managed to send myself flying into the air, landed badly on my foot, twisted my foot and broke two bones in it too Sad.

My most recent crash on the NSR I think has done me more harm than good, denting my confidence and making me paranoid about crashing to the point where I don't enjoy riding anywhere near as much as I used to, at least in rain Crying or Very sad .

Hopefully my confidence will return in time, but it doesn't feel like its in any hurry to do so Sad.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke and dislocated my thumb on one occasion. Had to go to hospital for road rash on forearm/thigh/knee/ankle on another. That was quite bad and pretty bloody sore changing the dressing as it takes all the new skin off with it. There are a few faint scars but nothing serious.
Hospitalised after a combine harvester incident. Was knocked unconcious so was talking gibberish for a few days and had to have a head scan. They couldn't find anything............................wrong. Very Happy

I was also throwing up blood, so had to have one of those tests that you would normally use to see babies in preganant women. Good news was all my insides were still in the right place just took a battering, and I wasn't pregnant either. Razz

My back was less fortunate as it took most of the force. Was off work for 3 months as I could barely walk and couldn't stand straight. Basically had to lie flat until physio helped things get fixed.
That was to close for comfort and if it wasn't for numerous bits of luck I wouldn't be typing this now.

AS for all the others, got away scott free with minor bruising.
Still, only dying will stop me riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Scarred Reply with quote

After headbutting a roadsign and only keeping an intact neck due to wearing a rucksack I've definately changed my riding style.

Despite the accident being over three years ago, I still ride a lot more cautiously than I need or should.

Lesson : An NSR will never keep up with a Fireblade, and trying can only end in disaster Laughing
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last crash put me in hospital for two weeks with a forearm broken in two places, and a shoulder smashed into about 9 bits. Basically I'm lucky to still have a left arm, I've now got a screw holding my shoulder together and plates/screws in both bones in my forearm. Hasn't put me off bikes AT ALL though, was back on mine as soon as I could be.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T.C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chasing a stolen vehicle I got T boned by the bandits mate leaving me in a coma for 6 months and a left foot that will require amputation in the next few years.
____________________
It is better to arrive 30 seconds late in this world, than 30 years early in the next
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Motkram
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash the dirt bike about every ride! If you don't fall off your not trying hard enough!

On the road got fixated by a hole in a hedge on a bend and ended up laid in it.
Also toppled over turning in the road once! Embarassed

(all many moons ago, of course) *touch wood.............now!*
____________________
Part-time GSXR1000 pilot>Micron Serpert system+K&N, PC111, Sigma slipper clutch, Brembo m/c+Galfer discs, Gilles rearsets, Translogic Quickshifter.

GP125>GSF400>VFR400NC30>YZF600R>YZFR1(1998)+KLR250>YZFR1(2003)>CBR900RRY>YZFR1(2002)>GSXR1000K1+RGV250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotti wrote:
Quote:
Im a rubbish rider really


I bet your a better rider than before your crash though (assuming you had one. It doesn't say anywhere in your post, I'm just guessing).


I did have a crash yes and i am a better rider now i think. I know not to be stupid and bikes cost a lot to fix so i has put me off crashing now Very Happy

Chris
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.33 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 140.94 Kb