Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Ideas For A Job

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:58 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Ideas For A Job Reply with quote

I'm looking for something with flexible hours and low stress levels for a while, whilst my father breathes his last in a nursing home, and the resulting pressure of sorting out his house and financial affairs etc threatens to use up all the free time I have.

A stressful time, and my current job is not helping, as they're piling more and more work on us (I went to a 4 day week to reduce some of the stress and physical fatigue, but I reckon I've got enough workload now for a 6 day week!).

Think I'll end up shelf-stacking at a local supermarket probably, which is ok for a while, but wondered what others would consider?

Don't have much in the way of qualifications, and experience since leaving the RAF in 1992 is all motorcycle trade, mostly working on parts/accessories counters, but none of that near here.

Any suggestions?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry to hear things are tough. Could you afford to take some time out and not work at all for a few months? That could be good for your stress and free up all your time to be with your Dad as well as get his affairs in order.
____________________
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Omega
Crazy Courier



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:47 - 09 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a few weeks off and see if you still feel the same. That step back is sometimes enough for your mind to get on top of things. See your doctor if necessary for time off with stress or whatever.

The work they're "piling on" might suddenly seem like nothing when you're given some breathing space. I think some people brush off mental "illness" while others are happy to scream and shout depression/stress. You need some time out for good reason mate. Go for it and then see how you feel afterwards.[/u]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
See your doctor if necessary for time off with stress or whatever.

Decent working types do deserve a few of these, if you're working for an employer that can afford it. Ooh-me-back scrotes make a career out of it and the world doesn't end; don't work yourself into an early grave to prove a point to an uncaring universe.

I think I just channelled a little Hetzer. Thinking
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:41 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
Take a few weeks off and see if you still feel the same. That step back is sometimes enough for your mind to get on top of things. See your doctor if necessary for time off with stress or whatever.

The work they're "piling on" might suddenly seem like nothing when you're given some breathing space. I think some people brush off mental "illness" while others are happy to scream and shout depression/stress. You need some time out for good reason mate. Go for it and then see how you feel afterwards.[/u]


Lol. Just had 3 weeks off, got a nice little holiday in, kicked back a bit, did some gardening (if ripping out loads of weeds and over-growth can be called that!) and sorted through a lot of the letters and bills etc. Got back to work on Monday, and by Friday I was all used up and at the end of my tether Confused

So I spoke to my boss about leaving (very probably a wrong move) - she said they'd talk about getting a replacement in, who I could then train up, and then there'd be no pressure for me to go - even got a hug!

I have been wondering if the workload is more in my mind (it kind of isn't, as they've been introducing a lot of new processes which are more time consuming, whilst my 3 week sojourn left me with a big backlog).

I can't say the money isn't useful, although I can manage on less - but I need something to top up my little pension, as I'm responsible for bills until the house is sold. Then I guess I'll be moving on somewhere. Just need some breathing space. Maybe I'll have another chat with the boss, before she gets the ball rolling - she's been pretty understanding up til now, but don't want to push my luck.

I've pretty much had my fill of quacks and hospitals for one lifetime - I'd prefer to deal with things myself if I can. I'm normally quite good at recognising stress symptoms without getting all hypochondriac about it. And sod going on benefits - I won't be jumping through any of their hoops again! Last time I went down that route, it seemed to actually make it harder to find work.

Strange. Re-reading this before posting to check it's what I want to say, and I really don't know. Can't seem to think straight lately Laughing Oh well...

EDIT Just got a call from my brother to say my father passed away in the early hours of this morning. Odd, I've been awake and up since 4:30, wonder if that's one of these "connection" things you hear about? It's weird, cos I can still feel fairly cheerful about some things - is that insensitive? No, I don't think so - feel mostly confused. VERY confused!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:43 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Can't seem to think straight lately Laughing Oh well...


Everything you said makes sense to me. But then, I am a work-shy fop. Laughing

Less facetiously - it really *did* make sense. So don't worry about that side of it. Anyway, all the best with stuff. Thumbs Up
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:54 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

having just been through the same work problems and having a dad with cancer i sort of know were you are coming from

see the dr tell them you are struggleing to concerntrait at work due to other things going on in your life

they will sign you off straight away and the company cant do a thing about it

when you are ready to start back the dr can give you a note to go back on redused hours

mine did this for a while

because the company i worked for wouldnt employ anyone to help me at work the dr kept signing me off

i was off three months and in that time found another job which i love and am earning more money
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:35 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it mate... Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:52 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss, I hope in six months time you can look back on now as a particular rough patch that you managed to work through.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:11 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear buddy, hopefully everything works out.
____________________
Current Bikes:Honda 929RR Fireblade, Honda CD200 Benly (Project), Stomp Z2 140
Electric Bike Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:15 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your dad, chickenystrips xx

Maybe the fact that you expected him to last longer might help as a catalyst for you to consider changing your job anyway. Sounds like the one you have is far too stressful.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:22 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for your loss

sure that wasnt there when i wrote my post Shocked
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:28 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those times when you re-evaluate what is important to you. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago and decided to change my work/life balance.
The only advice anyone can give is think carefully and don't make any quick decisions. What can be too busy one week can be a welcome distraction when everything has settled down.
Good luck in whatever you decide Smile
____________________
Blackpool, Lancashire
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Take care Nick xxxx
____________________
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:52 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, really sorry to hear.

Maybe some compassionate leave from work will help you clear your head. Speak to your boss, explain you need this time and then perhaps when you get back you can decide whether or not this job is for you anymore...
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar



Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it.
____________________
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha:"Remember this simple rule - scooters are for men who like to feel the breeze on their huge, flapping cunt lips."
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.35 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 92.47 Kb