|
|
| Author |
Message |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 21:58 - 09 Aug 2014 Post subject: Ideas For A Job |
 |
|
I'm looking for something with flexible hours and low stress levels for a while, whilst my father breathes his last in a nursing home, and the resulting pressure of sorting out his house and financial affairs etc threatens to use up all the free time I have.
A stressful time, and my current job is not helping, as they're piling more and more work on us (I went to a 4 day week to reduce some of the stress and physical fatigue, but I reckon I've got enough workload now for a 6 day week!).
Think I'll end up shelf-stacking at a local supermarket probably, which is ok for a while, but wondered what others would consider?
Don't have much in the way of qualifications, and experience since leaving the RAF in 1992 is all motorcycle trade, mostly working on parts/accessories counters, but none of that near here.
Any suggestions? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracey Suntan-King |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracey Suntan-King World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Nov 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Omega |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Omega Crazy Courier
Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chickenstrip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chickenstrip Super Spammer

Joined: 06 Dec 2013 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 05:41 - 10 Aug 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Omega wrote: | Take a few weeks off and see if you still feel the same. That step back is sometimes enough for your mind to get on top of things. See your doctor if necessary for time off with stress or whatever.
The work they're "piling on" might suddenly seem like nothing when you're given some breathing space. I think some people brush off mental "illness" while others are happy to scream and shout depression/stress. You need some time out for good reason mate. Go for it and then see how you feel afterwards.[/u] |
Lol. Just had 3 weeks off, got a nice little holiday in, kicked back a bit, did some gardening (if ripping out loads of weeds and over-growth can be called that!) and sorted through a lot of the letters and bills etc. Got back to work on Monday, and by Friday I was all used up and at the end of my tether
So I spoke to my boss about leaving (very probably a wrong move) - she said they'd talk about getting a replacement in, who I could then train up, and then there'd be no pressure for me to go - even got a hug!
I have been wondering if the workload is more in my mind (it kind of isn't, as they've been introducing a lot of new processes which are more time consuming, whilst my 3 week sojourn left me with a big backlog).
I can't say the money isn't useful, although I can manage on less - but I need something to top up my little pension, as I'm responsible for bills until the house is sold. Then I guess I'll be moving on somewhere. Just need some breathing space. Maybe I'll have another chat with the boss, before she gets the ball rolling - she's been pretty understanding up til now, but don't want to push my luck.
I've pretty much had my fill of quacks and hospitals for one lifetime - I'd prefer to deal with things myself if I can. I'm normally quite good at recognising stress symptoms without getting all hypochondriac about it. And sod going on benefits - I won't be jumping through any of their hoops again! Last time I went down that route, it seemed to actually make it harder to find work.
Strange. Re-reading this before posting to check it's what I want to say, and I really don't know. Can't seem to think straight lately Oh well...
EDIT Just got a call from my brother to say my father passed away in the early hours of this morning. Odd, I've been awake and up since 4:30, wonder if that's one of these "connection" things you hear about? It's weird, cos I can still feel fairly cheerful about some things - is that insensitive? No, I don't think so - feel mostly confused. VERY confused! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trevor saxe-coburg-gotha |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trevor saxe-coburg-gotha World Chat Champion

Joined: 22 Nov 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andyscooter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andyscooter World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 May 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:35 - 10 Aug 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sorry to hear it mate...  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aff |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aff World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2011 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andyscooter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andyscooter World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 May 2009 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:22 - 10 Aug 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
sorry for your loss
sure that wasnt there when i wrote my post  ____________________ gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tony_d123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tony_d123 Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 08 Apr 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:28 - 10 Aug 2014 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is one of those times when you re-evaluate what is important to you. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago and decided to change my work/life balance.
The only advice anyone can give is think carefully and don't make any quick decisions. What can be too busy one week can be a welcome distraction when everything has settled down.
Good luck in whatever you decide  ____________________ Blackpool, Lancashire |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tracey Suntan-King |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tracey Suntan-King World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Nov 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nobby the Bastard |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nobby the Bastard Harley Gaydar

Joined: 16 Aug 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 12 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|