Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Standing on pegs engine cuts out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Beardy
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Standing on pegs engine cuts out Reply with quote

So my xr125 (with its many quirks) cuts out when I stand on the pegs whilst green laning. I think its the sidestand switch because if I kick the sidestand with my heel it starts up again with the starter.

My question is can I simply disconnect it or can that cause other problems? I don't really need one as I've managed on other bikes for years before Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can be disconnected but I think you need to connect two f the three wires in the connector together

Sorry cannot remember the colour codes to connect
____________________
Dave
NC750Xdct + others at work !
[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post a wiring diagram, been a fair while since playing with Honda wiring. is definitely a 3 wire setup?
____________________
Current rides - 2016 Triumph Street Triple Rx, 1994 Suzuki Bandit 400 VM, TGB 204 Classic 125cc
"with nothing left to lose, there is everything to gain. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bridged mine out on one of my bikes, it was just a case of connecting the two wires.

Try doing it at the connector block somehow rather than cutting the wires themselves, that way if it turns out not to be the issue you haven't ruined a good component.
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:14 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop standing up. Thumbs Up
____________________
My fingers smell of your mum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Beardy
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

orac wrote:
can you post a wiring diagram, been a fair while since playing with Honda wiring. is definitely a 3 wire setup?


This is the one I believe:

https://minus.com/i/bx1EMj3g7ucW7
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 12 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the side stand spring wears over time the stand bounces around while you're off roading, that means it'll cut out due to the safety switch. All I did on my bike was unplug the switch, then cut off the plug on the wiring loom and solder the wires together. Job jobbed. Also removed my clutch switch as well (very easy on a drz, no soldering required), have had one of those go bad once and left me stranded. Safety switches my arse, cause more harm than good.
____________________
KTM 990 SMT & Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Beardy
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch removed so one less thing to worry about Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 14 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing I do when I get a bike is to disable the 'safety' switches, they almost always fail leaving you stranded somewhere you'd rather not be, and to be honest, if im retarded enough to pull off with the sidestand down, or try and start it up in gear without the clutch in then maybe dropping the bike on myself will teach me not to do it again. Laughing
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 59.5 Kb