Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Running a little hot - Oil Cooler replacement?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Running a little hot - Oil Cooler replacement? Reply with quote

My bike's running a little hotter than usual lately, I had thought it due to summer weather but now the weather has got cooler the bike's still throwing out more heat than I recall being normal earlier in the year.

Earlier this year I changed the oil cooler for one that didn't leak, it was a bit tatty and surface corrosion and now I'm wondering if I should be looking at replacing it.

Cornwall Kawasaki want £400 for the cooler on it's own, and it's probably a good idea to fit new hoses to it to do the job properly.

I've had a good look round the web and I've not been able to find anywhere making a pattern part for the ZZR600E (which surprises me) and all the ones on e-bay look just as bad as mine, if not worse.

I still have the old one I took off, anyone any ideas where to find a cooler / get one made around Manchester?
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:26 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked your radiator fluid levels?

My CBR ran hot when it was only half filled.

Second an oil cooler isn't exactly a complex bit of kit, the only important bit is the collar which fits onto the engine and is plumbed in.

My old CBR had a 918 fireblade radiator on it. It worked fine.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 16 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would expect the radiator to make massively more difference to overall engine temp. The oil cooler would probably only make a noticeable difference if the normal cooling system was very marginal.

I would flush the radiator through thoroughly, and when you refill it check the coolant mix.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

orac
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:56 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this just goes of what you think with no temperature information to make an informed decision on what the actual situation is.

give it a coolant change (don't forget to bleed the air out of the system), maybe a flush while you are there, an oil and filter change.

most motors will run over 100*C, most fan cut in at 110, its cutting in often then there maybe an issue somewhere. however with that said, unless the thermostat is in/against the coolant the fan will never cut in (ie if there is no coolant the fan wont come on)
____________________
Current rides - 2016 Triumph Street Triple Rx, 1994 Suzuki Bandit 400 VM, TGB 204 Classic 125cc
"with nothing left to lose, there is everything to gain. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:52 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any possibility of air in the system? = Air is a insulator, so the fluid can't transfer enough heat. Thumbs Up

OR, there is a pressure leak, and since you did not see anything wet, I'd say the filler cap might be leaking. The cooling system is pressurized = the water can get above 100°C with no problem yet not being boiling. Thumbs Up

Extra cooling power is not the way to go. If you get too much cooling power the engine won't never work well, at its operating temperature, which will cause reduction of its life time. Thumbs Down
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:56 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basing things on my feet getting a bit hotter than usual of late
The oil cooler that's on doesn't leak but doesn't look great so I'm assuming it's not doing its job quite as well as it should so aiming to fit a like for like replacement, not a larger cooler

The cooling system is topped up but I've not checked for air etc but I've not had any reason to worry about it
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Artist
Super Spammer



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:05 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

-.. wrote:
I'm basing things on my feet getting a bit hotter than usual of late
The oil cooler that's on doesn't leak but doesn't look great so I'm assuming it's not doing its job quite as well as it should so aiming to fit a like for like replacement, not a larger cooler

The cooling system is topped up but I've not checked for air etc but I've not had any reason to worry about it


Oil coolers always look like crap though and as has been said, unlikely to be the cause of an issue.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that schools have started and the roads are more clogged up?

Around July August riding into Manchester city centre took 15 minutes.

Engine temp from this was around 78-92.

it now takes 20 minutes a barely recognisable amount of time but it involves a lot more high revs low gear filtering.

Engine temp now hovers around 95-103.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flushed a mates ZZR6 through and the amount of sludge that came out was unreal.

I can't exactly remember what I disconnected but basically I inserted a hose into one end of the cooling system and unpluged another then ran the bike this quickly fired out all the muck from the rad. Then I sealed it up filled it and ran it again with the bleed screw open (on top of the rad?) and burped the pipes. Temps were fine after that.

Sorry for the ropey description it was ages ago!
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:08 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a small overheating problem on the 1100 occasionally.
Firstly - she runs slightly hotter when the fluid drops by about 100-150ml (tiny external leak and I lose that over the course of several 1000 miles) so she needs to be kept filled right up - temp gauge lets me know as it sits bang on one point when heated up and running fine

Secondly - there is some kind of glitch in the oil system and she runs hotter when I do an oil change, for a good few hundred miles - more noticeable in the summer months and when stuck in traffic.

Not sure if it's a zed thing as she's done it ever since I had her (from 17000 miles). Coolant (and bleed nipples) is always the first thing I check when that temp gauge needle starts creeping up.
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 17 Sep 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
If there is a problem, I doubt it's the oil cooler at fault. They usualy get a bit skuzzy just because they have to be in the air flow so get covered in crud but, while some may leak at the connections, there's not much else to go wrong and the dirtiest ones can still look like new inside. Maybe you should test your thermostat and, as above, make sure the cooling system isn't getting "furred up".


That is quite technical then. Laughing Honestly doubt its the cooler. You should see the state of the one on my bike. ZZR is liquid cooled is it not? Look at this area instead. Thermostat, cooling fan switch, coolant levels and enough anti freeze or even a better quality oil rather than shitty Tesco stuff like I tend to buy now and then Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.92 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 84.83 Kb