Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hazard perception test

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Hazard perception test Reply with quote

I purchased the dsa"official guide to hazard perception test DVD"
which is pretty crap really as it gives conflicting information !
It states that in the hazard perception test you get 14 clips with one developing hazard in each and the sooner you respond the higher the points ! Okay that's nice and clear....... Or so you think until you do the mock test.
In the mock test you have to click the mouse every time you see a bend in the road or a side road, mud on the road, or other such things !
If you click the mouse too much you don't get any points, so I'm a bit confused !
In the actual test do you only respond to vehicles or pedestrians potentially coming out in front of you or do you respond to every possible hazard like Bends in the road,mud by the curb , road signs etc !
If you've taken this test please enlighten me Confused
____________________
Yeah I know !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Will87
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:32 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click as soon as you see something that could be majour developing, also click for the slightly less important hazzards, good as it is can't help but feel the test is somewhat pot luck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:08 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im with you on that 1. Ive got the CD too. The thing is tho. Say theres going to be 10 hazards. It doesn't tell you how many hazards there was until afterwards. ANd yes, If you click to many times, You get a big fat zero! I personally think its shit!

<|Binge|>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:18 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
It doesn't tell you how many hazards there was until afterwards.<|Binge|>


Like real life then. You don't know that on todays Journey to Tesco that you will have 12 hazards on your trip do you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:33 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip is right about not know how many hazards there is going to be on any given ride, but the shit thing about this test is that it punishes you for being to cautious! when you click too often the software makes up its mind that you are cheating and gives you no points!
you have to selective about which hazards that you click for and only click a couple of times! and how can you do this on the road! oh that car has seen me, he won't pull out! i'll ignore that! WTF not likely in real riding!
just my 2 cents
WN
____________________
Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are hazards everywhere, but the only ones you get points for are the ones that develop into something. A car sat a a junction IS a hazard, but a car actually pulling out is a developing hazard and thats what you get points for.

Don't worry about it too much, the proper test has a lot better footage than the dvd and imo is easier.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Re: Hazard perception test Reply with quote

romperstomper1 wrote:

If you've taken this test please enlighten me Confused


i STILL haven NO IDEA, Laughing and i have passed em both Shocked
____________________
F'it DO WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY!!!!! Even if it screws over everyone else :p
Titz wrote: "..and my 3rd accident was when this police car....."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy the DSA one as it was too expensive. Instead today I bought The "Driving Test Success" Hazard Perception CDROM and I keep getting over 56 out of 75 on my mock ones, it is really good. Thumbs Up
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

adazed
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: trick Reply with quote

its true you only get scored on developing hazards, but you must click for all hazards

the trick is to click every other second when you see a potential hazard

eg like pedestrians near the kerb - they may walk out in front of you
or a cyclist may swerve in front
or a car's brake lights light up - its going to brake just how hard???
____________________
Suzuki GSXR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got confused when I first got it as on the town centre DVD it showed you driving down a line of parked cars. I wanted to click every second or so as a child could simply run out from behind any one of the cars! Shocked

However! I found a good way of making sure I was doing the right thing. On the official disc you should be able to set the pass rate when you practise. My suggestion is to set it lower than the actual pass needed for the test. That way, you'll be err-ing on the side of caution and actually scoring properly. The DSA test video is easier to read what's coming anyway!

It doesn't say that you should click at EVERY road bend or side road or mud on the road. It's what are the perceived hazards that are developing that they're interested in. Let it show you through first, then have another go.

The other trick is to click as soon as you see it and then click again about a second or so later (and actually count the second, don't just click again straight away, or it thinks you're cheating!) that way you're still picking up points for seeing the hazard. They might come in handy at the end of the test.

And one clip will have TWO hazards in it. You really need to get this one as it's ten points for one clip. If you get that one wrong, you've got to pretty much get all the others to make sure you'll pass.

Summary: Just keep practicing! Wink
____________________
Colin McRae MBE 1968 - 2007 RIP Sad
Orwell Rolls in his Grave
God is imaginary
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:

It doesn't say that you should click at EVERY road bend or side road or mud on the road. :


On the first clip on the DVD I only clicked when something was potentially coming into my path but only scored 1/5, I watched the replay and it pointed out mud by the kerb,side road,bend , so I did it again clicking on these points and scored 4/5 and a little red flag appears but only if you click the mouse at exactly the right time! (So does seem a bit like potluck).
Earlier in the DVD it states that you only get approximately one hazard in each clip and you only get scored for this,
hence the confusion, thanks for replies, still a bit unsure though, think I will phone the buggers up to make sure ! Confused
____________________
Yeah I know !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gay think about the H&P test is that it's not clever enough to differentiate between an "observant clicker", i.e the ones who are clicking at every bend, looking out for potential hazards and the like, with somebody who randomly clicks because everything is "oh so quiet" in the clip - i never liked the CD roms i practised with as i thought it was a bunch of shit - how can they question my judgement and reasoning?

IMO, i think that everytime you click for a hazard, there should really be a drop down list which allows you to identify the hazard and thus provides the reason for clicking - otherwise mr daft pratt will still get away with clicking on an empty road with hedges, probably not even remotely realising that there are hedges on the road. I also believe that it's right to click on every parked car in the assumption a child will no doubt run out - in my case on my car theory, it did. I think they need to change the laws a little and get rid of the hazard perception interactive thingy and actually get that done with an instructor instead - as we ride, we are continually assessing hazards and stuff, so if you're already doing that, you'll be fine.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rift.
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 23 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been driving instructors taking that hazard test and failed because they click to early Embarassed Embarassed(as they can see when the hazard will appear) thus failing Miserably hahaha
____________________
You only live once so get a bike and ride
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just phoned dsa for official response, and the answer is ............
you only click and get points for developing hazards, no need to click for road signs, bends,ect !
Most of you told me this but just wanted to make sure !
The DSA DVD just makes it confusing ! Confused
____________________
Yeah I know !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the hazard perception test! It was quite possible to see the hazard beofre the computer thought you could! GRRRRR Evil or Very Mad
____________________
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipnet11 wrote:
I hated the hazard perception test! It was quite possible to see the hazard beofre the computer thought you could! GRRRRR Evil or Very Mad


it sounds seriously flawed ,will make an official complaint if I fail Mad
____________________
Yeah I know !


Last edited by romperstomper1 on 16:00 - 26 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doobrey
Nova Slayer



Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:13 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is my two penneth....

On the perception test you need to click the mouse when you see a potential hazard occuring. That is to say something that would force you to adjust you speed, direction or even a shoulder check before you would do something. Remeber, if the potential hazard increases in severity, then click again....if it changes, then click again...

I achieved quite a high score on my test, (Luck?!?), but when I saw pedestrians I clicked, when I saw parked cars, I clicked, when I saw junctions I clicked...etc...

Just be sensible about it. If you see a lot of flags, stop clicking - you will get some points if not all, as remember, if you click too many times you will fail that harzard and get "0" points...= not good.

Doobs.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I passed but only just with 50/75 , I think the test is seriously flawed and I'm going to drink 8 bottles of beer as a protest Evil or Very Mad
____________________
Yeah I know !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 180 days between these two posts...

tashyluv
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg it is crap! I have the driving test success theory and hazard perception combined and i done fine on that one i never failed once, but after a while the clips where repeating and i knew what was comeing, so i got the driving test success hazard clips only to get a bit more practice. Im just confused I get 0 points for most of the clips even when i know whats coming. I have my theory test tommorrow so this better not muddle me up. what do you think, should i keep practicing this cd?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tashyluv
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg it is crap! I have the driving test success theory and hazard perception combined and i done fine on that one i never failed once, but after a while the clips where repeating and i knew what was comeing, so i got the driving test success hazard clips only to get a bit more practice. Im just confused I get 0 points for most of the clips even when i know whats coming. I have my theory test tommorrow so this better not muddle me up. what do you think, should i keep practicing this cd?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pernig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:00 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tashyluv wrote:
omg it is crap! I have the driving test success theory and hazard perception combined and i done fine on that one i never failed once, but after a while the clips where repeating and i knew what was comeing, so i got the driving test success hazard clips only to get a bit more practice. Im just confused I get 0 points for most of the clips even when i know whats coming. I have my theory test tommorrow so this better not muddle me up. what do you think, should i keep practicing this cd?


Just keep practicing it it's the same CD I used before I took my second hazard perception test, failed miseraby with no preparation (even though i got 35 for questions!), then when I practiced with that a few times, before my second test, I got 60 out of 75 on the day, a good pass. Good luck tomorrow!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
And one clip will have TWO hazards in it. You really need to get this one as it's ten points for one clip. If you get that one wrong, you've got to pretty much get all the others to make sure you'll pass.


That's the one it decided I had cheated on - and voided the entire clip. Still managed to pass, but it was a bit closer than I'd have liked.

I think it's a pretty crap test to be honest.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AndyT
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 28 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:41 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine yesterday and passed, the problem is on the 10 point double hazard clip i got a big fat zero for apprently cheating when i saw lots of potential hazards (i got told of for saying, possibly a little too loudly, THATS CRAP) and passed with 52 out of 75 (pass mark is 44 i think). It shouldn;t be too bad as long as you have done a bit of practice you should be fine just try not to click to regular and be selective about a developing hazard and a general awareness item. Like above a car in a side road is an awareness item but one reversing out of a drive is a developing hazard.
GOOD LUCK!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CR
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Hazard perception test Reply with quote

romperstomper1 wrote:
It states that in the hazard perception test you get 14 clips with one developing hazard in each and the sooner you respond the higher the points ! Okay that's nice and clear....... Or so you think until you do the mock test.
In the mock test you have to click the mouse every time you see a bend in the road or a side road, mud on the road, or other such things !
If you click the mouse too much you don't get any points, so I'm a bit confused !
In the actual test do you only respond to vehicles or pedestrians potentially coming out in front of you or do you respond to every possible hazard like Bends in the road,mud by the curb , road signs etc


is it really easy?. got mine on the 30th nove..and a bit worried considering the bsm cd I got says that 'signs, bends etc' are hazards..but this offical one I got the other day..seems to conflict that and think buses pulling away from stops and pedestrians running cross the road are hazards.. hmm..

I just don't want to waste money and time I could be doing my dsa Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 28 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed it no problems on the day but it seems tobe more luck than judgement to be honest. My feedback at the end was more or less:

Improve video quality as the resolution kept hazards that were in the distance unclear.
Scoring should be based on identifying what the hazard is combined with when you can see it. more points given for actual hazards but some given for potential hazards. Your score should be dependant on Where you click on the screen to show you have identified what the hazard is. i.e. Clicking on the woman on the pavement pushing the pram is scored as an identified potential hazard whereas clickin on the car that has crossed the central line whilst coming towards you as soon as it does is an actual hazard, identified as soon as it became one.

Or some such like... Smile

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.06 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 133.35 Kb