Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cam chain tensioner. .Honda

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Cam chain tensioner. .Honda Reply with quote

Hi, my 1994 cb1000 has a slight rattle from cold for a few mins. I was thinking about changing the cam tensioner. It's just a bolt off and bolt a new one on right?
Help appreciated Cheers!
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bradh511
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi do You have any pic of the tenshioner? Some are self adjusting some manual usually the tenshioner are held in by two bolts its basically a sprung loaded arm that pushes on a cam chain guide... Might be worth checking its not seized and that its not the adjustable type mke sure u have some gasket glue or a new gasket
____________________
Theory 11-10-12 lets hope i get mod 1 and 2 done by the 18th of jan 2013 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if relevant but
me 1992 cbr600 had a gasket modification for this sort of problem.. the tensioner wanted cleanin out .. I used petrol... the new gasket had bigger holes which allowed more oil through..
20mins job.
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

haroman666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go for the manual replacement then the APE product from the US is generally the best to go for.
Other people do their own but as far as reputation goes, APE is the one.

It's pretty much remove and replace but its the fine tuning that is key.
I did mine too tight initially. It's fine now though.
Use Youtube and APE's website to read through the correct procedure.

Always turn the engine over by hand first after fitting. Dont wanna be bending any valves now Wink
____________________
The mistresses: 2000 Honda CBR600f, 2000 Honda VTR1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys.

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/graphics/parts/14500MZ1000OE_1_large.jpg


this is what keeps cropping up for my bike. I haven't checked the bike for the correct part yet though, I'll probably order a genuine honda part I think.

I'd like an auto one to be fair.

From doing the shims on the zzr I remember the tensioner just bolting on, dont need to TDC or anything like that. Pretty much plug and play.


Cheers.
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

serlant
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, I researched the same thing for my cbr1000 as with my vtr100 (vtwin) I had to set each cylinder at TDC before i could remove the tensioner to stop the timing jumping, but on inline 4's the rest of the valve springs hold the cams where they are in they're strokes.
____________________
04 CBR1000RR, 1995 Husqvarna TE410, 1998 VTR1000(Sold), 1990 XJ600(sold), 1996 KH125(dead and sold)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on Wemoto

https://www.wemoto.com/

You may get a kit at fraction of the price. The springs inside don't last forever.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:54 - 29 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing on wemoto.

Again, going by the confusing picture, do you lot reckon its a bolt on jobby?

It's priced at 125-145 at david silver spares. So not cheap..
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Casper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:29 - 30 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like no tensioner I have seen before mate and that looks internal to me. Even looking at pictures of the bike I cant see where that goes. It may drop into place and you have some sort of external plunger to adjust but god knows. CMSNL have it €142 work that out to the pound as it may be cheaper but no doubt there will be postage from Holland.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb1000f-1993-northern-europekph_model1373/partslist/E__0400.html#results


What does your manual say about that tensioner.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:44 - 30 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a manual one for my cbr600f, as the auto ones are notorious for sticking. It's a bolt on job, and as said before, you need to fine tune it once in place. Only takes about half an hour.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/M~kAAOSwcu5UPpri/$_35.JPG
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bradh511
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 01 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 30 Dec 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one you have pictured look internal ... One above manual type look like the one I was expecting .. Might be worth digging out your Haines manual
____________________
Theory 11-10-12 lets hope i get mod 1 and 2 done by the 18th of jan 2013 Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to drop the oil, and it came out brown.... Really bad colour.

It had been laid up for two years, I changed the oil and filter, castrol 10-40 oil I think, I did 700 miles on it and dropped it... And it was disgusting.

Filled up with cheap oil 5-30w because its thinner on cold starts, and i tell you what, It's basically silent now. Laughing

I don't need a cam tensioner now, however I think its internal too I couldnt see anything outside behind the cylinders. Going to buy a haynes manual.

Cheers lads.
____________________
KAWASAKIIIII
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.85 Kb