Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


MotoBatt mbtx9u 80% out of box

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:03 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: MotoBatt mbtx9u 80% out of box Reply with quote

Got a new battery as I killed the last one with short trips and neglect.

The new one from wemoto arrived today, supposedly meant to be ready to use out of the box.
I chucked mine on the Oxford Oximiser anyway, it was showing about 80% life and started charging it up.

I tested the Voltage and its about 12.82V (tested after 10 mins charging, now showing about 90% charge)
Is this a concern? or is it simply that the bike is meant to charge the rest up with a long ride?

Cheers
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.


Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 21:09 - 13 Jan 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 12.68v on me R1 batt. after its been on conditioner for 7 years..
so I wouldn`t worry.
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 13 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, I wasn't so much worried about the voltage tbh.
More that it's straight out the box and Mr Oximiser thinks it has to "bulk" charge 20% more before going on "maintain" charge?
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:15 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was similar, would probably have started bike, but HG charger fed it more juice anyway. Has worked fine since.
____________________
Bandit. does. everything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Re: MotoBatt mbtx9u 80% out of box Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
supposedly meant to be ready to use out of the box.

I'd infer "able to start the bike" rather than "100% fully charged".
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:07 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

" It comes to you pre-conditioned and fully charged for optimum performance and ready to install out of the box. "

They claim fully charged, from which most people would infer 100%.

Ready to install means you don't need to dump acid into it before you can fit it.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:46 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an oximiser suitable for use on a AGM battery?

Genuine question because I don't know.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
" It comes to you pre-conditioned and fully charged for optimum performance and ready to install out of the box. "

They claim fully charged, from which most people would infer 100%.

I would indeed have inferred that if OP had told us the actual sales blurb. That'll learn me to be so trusting. Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully charged is a bold claim though.

Surely they must lose charge over time just sat in the box waiting to be sold?
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Fully charged is a bold claim though.

Surely they must lose charge over time just sat in the box waiting to be sold?
That's what I would have thought. All they can claim is that it's at 100% charge when it leaves their warehouse, so if it's sat at the back of a shelf on aisle 3 for long enough it could theoretically be flat when finally sold?
____________________
Current: 2009 SV650 S, 1990 Kawasaki GT550
Previous: 2009 CBF125, 1998 GSF600, 2004 FZ6 Fazer, 1978 CB400a Hondamatic
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Fully charged is a bold claim though.

Verb: "The battery was fully charged."

Adjective: "The battery is fully charged."
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

b422063
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes "full charged for optimal performance". What makes you think 80% isn't optimal performance. It starts a bike, what more do you want?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Is an oximiser suitable for use on a AGM battery?

Genuine question because I don't know.


I did wonder as well, I know my old Oximiser wasn't suitable, maybe newer models are? Maximiser is the Oxford model I've used for my AGM battery.

Commuter_Tim wrote:

I chucked mine on the Oxford Oximiser anyway, it was showing about 80% life and started charging it up.

I tested the Voltage and its about 12.82V (tested after 10 mins charging, now showing about 90% charge)
Is this a concern?


What was the initial voltage of your battery? Motobatt specs give 12.78V as 97% of full charge.
AGM batteries must be charged with constant voltage not taper and if you overcharge it you will kill it.
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Matt B wrote:
" It comes to you pre-conditioned and fully charged for optimum performance and ready to install out of the box. "

They claim fully charged, from which most people would infer 100%.

I would indeed have inferred that if OP had told us the actual sales blurb. That'll learn me to be so trusting. Wink

OP is a moron who may have charged his battery wrong, why on earth did you trust him? Razz

mentalboy wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Is an oximiser suitable for use on a AGM battery?

Genuine question because I don't know.


I did wonder as well, I know my old Oximiser wasn't suitable, maybe newer models are? Maximiser is the Oxford model I've used for my AGM battery.

Commuter_Tim wrote:

I chucked mine on the Oxford Oximiser anyway, it was showing about 80% life and started charging it up.

I tested the Voltage and its about 12.82V (tested after 10 mins charging, now showing about 90% charge)
Is this a concern?


What was the initial voltage of your battery? Motobatt specs give 12.78V as 97% of full charge.
AGM batteries must be charged with constant voltage not taper and if you overcharge it you will kill it.


I don't understand what you mean by "taper" charging? Is that if you use a generic charger not designed for bikes that doesn't know when to stop?

I neglected to check the voltage before chucking it on charge for 10 mins, me and electricity do not mix well. Sad
I chucked it in the bike regardless last night, it either starts as badly as before, or worse.

Quote:
Suitable for all 12V battery types up to 30Ah including Lithium, Gel, MF and conventional lead and refillable batteries

That's from the OXford website on the Oximiser 900, it says suitable for all 12v battery types, but doesnt list AGM, that does not instill confidence.

Can anybody suggest a new charger for the new battery that I likely need to buy yet again, that is not an Oxford piece of shit?

Lesson learned.
Cheers again for all the help, even if I did ask the question a bit late. Sad

TL:DR if I have "killed" the battery will it just present with a lower voltage now?
I assume since the bike does start and all electrics work that I at least probably haven't harmed that?
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.


Last edited by Commuter_Tim on 21:22 - 14 Jan 2015; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's claiming to be suitable for lithium batteries, I suspect it's going to be a pretty smart charger. Lithium cells are notoriously fussy and dangerous with their charging requirements.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:


I don't understand what you mean by "taper" charging? Is that if you use a generic charger not designed for bikes that doesn't know when to stop?

I neglected to check the voltage before chucking it on charge for 10 mins, me and electricity do not mix well. Sad
I chucked it in the bike regardless last night, it either starts as badly as before, or worse.

Quote:
Suitable for all 12V battery types up to 30Ah including Lithium, Gel, MF and conventional lead and refillable batteries

That's from the OXford website on the Oximiser 900, it says suitable for all 12v battery types, but doesnt list AGM, that does not instill confidence.

Can anybody suggest a new charger for the new battery that I likely need to buy yet again, that is not an Oxford piece of shit?

Lesson learned.
Cheers again for all the help, even if I did ask the question a bit late. Sad

TL:DR if I have "killed" the battery will it just present with a lower voltage now?
I assume since the bike does start and all electrics work that I at least probably haven't harmed that?


That charger should be fine - Gel and AGM batteries both requires a constant voltage to charge up.
Taper voltage is what an 'intelligent' charger uses to charge a traditional style lead acid battery. ie the longer it's on charge the more the supplied voltage tapers off (If I've understood it correctly!)

Two things I'll say about AGM batteries: They take forever to charge up and they don't hold a starting charge much beyond a month of disuse (I was told that an AGM battery in cool storage condition should hold a charge for 3+ months).
And thirdly - when flat you can't jump start it off a car battery if you connect the jump leads to both terminals (never tried it by using neg lead connected to an earth point instead), absolutely no idea why - unless it's something to do with an abysmally low Ah intake?
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 May 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 15 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

That charger should be fine - Gel and AGM batteries both requires a constant voltage to charge up.


Thanks for the re-assurance, even if you are just lying to make me feel better! Laughing

It reached 'maximum' and switched to maintain quite quickly anyway, then I chucked it on the bike, so If I was damaging it, it can't have been for long.

This is the only way I seem to learn with bikes, I fuck something up, then learn from it, expensive but Informative.

So even though one of the most expensive, are Motobatt/AGM batts not the wiser choice then?
Or is it more dependant on whether you can be arsed to top up acid ones?
____________________
The above post is most likely nonsensical.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 261 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.29 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 102.53 Kb