Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Speedfight 2 brake hose replacement interval?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

piggoy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Speedfight 2 brake hose replacement interval? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've recently acquired an old X reg Speedfight 2 100cc that I'm planning to give a complete overhaul. I've also got a Haynes manual. The Haynes manual says that hydraulic brake lines need to be replaced every 3 years! As far as I'm aware they've never been replaced and the bike is 15 years old! They look in good condition and they are a steel braided type. Does the Haynes manual have it wrong assuming the hoses are standard rubber?

Thanks,
Sam
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Iain.
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 04 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds weird.

I'd inspect for any cracks, bulges or leaks & if I diddn't find any forget about it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

piggoy
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Jan 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I may have confused the hose braiding for steel, I don't think it is - in which case they are just standard hydraulic hoses. However a quick search online of other forums reveals no information about brake hoses replacement intervals on Peugeot scooters or any other manufacturer. I can only assume the Haynes manual instructions are OTT?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt they follow OEM recommendations or industry norms. My bike is still on the OEM brake lines and it is 18 years old. I can feel what I believe to be a bit of bulge through the lever, but it still stops smartly and the lines are in good nick. I really WILL get around to fitting braided ones one day...
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more or less an industry standard thing to say change them every three years. I only ever change them (cars or bikes) if they're looking worn/damaged or I'm having some other braking problem.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Jan 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

for an old X reg Speedfight 2 100cc as follows..

if you can pull the lever to the bar & it don`t lock the front wheel .. then bleed or replace...Thumbs Up


I use a different criteria for other bigger bikes...
____________________
Whatever I post I have no citation and no intention of providing one..
caveat emptor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.18 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 47.82 Kb