Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:33 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading? Reply with quote

The time has come for me to consider how to sort my living arrangements out when I get back from China and restart my second year at university.

Last year I was on campus flats. The year before that, while self-studying A-levels to get into uni, I lived at my gran's. I'm wondering if it might be worth using my student accommodation/maintenance loan/grant to buy a bike and go back to my gran's (giving her a fair rent, but it would certainly be far cheaper than a private London landlord), and commute to uni each day.

I figured I'd then have the bonus of a motorbike, and would essentially still be able to feel like I'm free and living in the city as I'd be there daily anyway, and have friends there who I could stay with if I want to get drunk or whatever.

I just don't know if the commute every day, from a village near junction 12 of the M4 (pretty much Reading), to Mile End, might start to grind me down, or even might be more expensive than I'm expecting, compared with just living nearby and walking/cycling to uni each day.

My conclusion so far:

Pros:
    - Living far cheaper. When I stayed at my gran's before, she asked for almost nothing, but I don't think I'd allow it this time around. Either way, yes it would be a huge chunk of a saving compared to living elsewhere.
    - Food often made for me.
    - Gran not lonely.
    - Will own a motorbike, therefore far more freedom outside of the daily student stuff.
    - Also I think I might get far more studying done as I'll often be on campus and won't quite so readily think, "Oh I'll just quickly go home now and do nothing..."
    - Will own a motorbike
    - Will own a motorbike
    - Will own a motorbike



Cons:
    - 1 hour-ish journey into and out of uni every day.
    - I have literally one mate in Reading, so any social life will mostly be far away in London where uni and other mates are.
    - 27 year old guy living at his gran's house...


I have a lot more 'pro' points at the moment as the idea has just come into my head so it seems like a good thing at the moment.

Any other thoughts/experience/advice? Cheers Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:09 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing you'll miss out on is social life and independence - but at 27 and someone who has spent time living out of the UK the latter is probably something you're used to anyway. There definitely won't be the same level of interaction with other students though (just because you'll miss out things like the mid-evening call to go out because people are bored), which may or may not be something you care about.

It could be good for your gran, and frankly that might swing it for me, depending upon your relationship with her and how close other family are.

An hour each way to Mile End is possibly a little bit light on time for rush hour. You'll also be adding 4-500 miles a week to the bike, which adds lots of cost in routine maintenance - have you factored in tyres, oil, brakes, decent all weather clothing on top of £150+ a month in fuel (depending upon the bike)? You'll be adding maybe 15,000 miles a year to the bike - that means lots of maintenance, and vastly reduced resale value if you don't just kill it. You'll also want to factor in a bike that is comfortable and usable for those distances; a big shaft driven tourer will eat the miles but not be as easy to nip around the traffic once in town. A smaller bike won't cope with the miles as easily.

For what it's worth, I'm doing a commute from near Basingstoke to Greenford - with social riding I adding 25K miles last year to my bike. The commute can be a drag sometimes (especially with the roadworks going on at the moment), but at least in your case there is a definite end in sight of a couple of years to the end of the course.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:11 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading to mile end in 1hr? I think you're being very optimistic. Just a quick look and the reading to paddington tickets are nearly £13, add the in London travel and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a room somewhere near uni for the same or similar price.

The other thing is... Uni is a place to have fun... The idea of going 'home' every day would spoil that - it's the only chance you'll have to live alone without responsibility for pretty much the rest of your life.

Be a proper student - get a room, buy beer with your loan and stop trying to be sensible. You'll appreciate it in the long run.

Or, if cost really is an issue - go to a european uni (they teach in English). No fees and you should still get access to study loans for accommodation. Cheaper, an even bigger experience, chance to get that bike... Nothing to lose.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
Reading to mile end in 1hr? I think you're being very optimistic. Just a quick look and the reading to paddington tickets are nearly £13, add the in London travel and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a room somewhere near uni for the same or similar price.


I used to do Reading to Waterloo in one hour once a week, on a bike that that could only just exceed the national speed limit (not that I'd have any intention of doing that if I could anyway Whistle )

Public transport from my gran's house would actually come to about £40 a day (train alone is actually £26 return for a start), but that's beside the point as my aim was to be biking in.

The main issue for me isn't cost, it's more the fact that I've done the proper student/youth/party/whatever thing already around working full time for 5 years. I'm now thinking more about the convenience of saving on rent money so I'd be able to instead own a bike and therefore have more freedom than the usual student bubble, which at 27 I'm well past caring about!

Sorry if this seems like I'm ignoring the advice you gave, it just seems like you're assuming I'm 18ish and need to live student life 'properly' for reasons such as beer and partying, which I don't really need any more. My only major concern is whether the large commute might prove a killer for me.

Fair point on going to Europe though. It's something I could consider. Although I'm one year into this degree now and am not too sure about changing unis.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really see why you'd choose to pay £9K a year in fees to study in an expensive city when you're already out of the country and have other options available. Seems a bit parochial.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Can't really see why you'd choose to pay £9K a year in fees to study in an expensive city when you're already out of the country and have other options available. Seems a bit parochial.


Ideally I'd actually continue studying in China - total expenses would come to less than £5000 per year, including course fees, living, food, everything. But I don't think I can get UK government funding for that.

Side note: Dutch students get 1000 Euros a month from their government, as long as they're studying and are under 30 years old. In any country. Or so says the Dutch guy in my class. If only I were Dutch!

If I were to change unis, I'd actually move to one nearer home. Probably Leeds uni (anyone remember the Leeds vs London unis thread I made a couple of years ago? Whistle ). I've been away from my home area for so long now, always on the move from place to place, it would be good to get settled in a familiar environment again, in God's County of course Cool .

Realistically, however, I'll probably be going back to my current uni as that's where I am and that's that. I just wonder if it'll be better to live in the expensive city or save money and live outside it.

One more deciding factor: London students get about 4 grand more loans/grants than other UK students. Living cheapy-cheapy at my gran's would mean I get to use that extra money in much better ways.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
The main issue for me isn't cost, it's more the fact that I've done the proper student/youth/party/whatever thing already around working full time for 5 years. I'm now thinking more about the convenience of saving on rent money so I'd be able to instead own a bike and therefore have more freedom than the usual student bubble, which at 27 I'm well past caring about!


Im yet older than that but would happily embrace the whole student life if I were to embrace part of it.

Also...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9447458/Study-abroad-Where-to-study-in-Europe...-in-English.html?frame=2297247

I've yet to hear of a uni that won't accept a switch. The Dutch hand out the same benefits to non Dutch I believe, although the grand a month seems far fetched.
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nash GT
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live with gran, get a bike, socialise with Berkshire, Hampshire and Surrey's BCFers Thumbs Up
____________________
Suzuki GSF600N
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:

Im yet older than that but would happily embrace the whole student life if I were to embrace part of it.

Also...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9447458/Study-abroad-Where-to-study-in-Europe...-in-English.html?frame=2297247

I've yet to hear of a uni that won't accept a switch. The Dutch hand out the same benefits to non Dutch I believe, although the grand a month seems far fetched.


I think, since myself and most/all of mates didn't go straight to uni and started working instead, I've always had the mindset of being a weekend person. Even for my first year, where I did live in the city and did live with other people, we all only really did studenty waster things on Friday and Saturday nights. So this 'student life' pigeon-hole has never really been something I ended up slotting into. Doesn't bother me really.

Cheers for that link, quite interesting Thumbs Up . It actually only mentions Masters programmes, but is useful all the same as I'm fairly sure I don't want to stick around at my current uni for a Masters.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Even for my first year, where I did live in the city and did live with other people, we all only really did studenty waster things on Friday and Saturday nights.

When I was in college, Thursday was the main night for going out doing "studenty waster things". Friday and Saturday nights were when people would go home and do "studenty waster things" with their friends from home, who may or may not have been students (from other institutions) as well.

IMO you should live in London. But, your life, your choices.
____________________
Bikes: S1000R, SH350; Exes: Vity 125, PS125, YBR125, ER6f, VFR800, Brutale 920, CB600F, SH300x4
Best road ever ridden: www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MhNxUEYtQ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
27 year old guy living at his gran's house...


Do whatever it takes to not be that guy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:25 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote granny

I wish I spent more time with my grandparents before my granddad had a stroke and me granny lost her marbles big time. I'm sure she'll appreciate the company assuming you are on good terms with her.

Buy yourself a shaft divvy with full faring, and pocket the rest to go towards a house deposit/rental digs when you finish.

And if you want a night out i'm sure on've your mates can put you up on a couch for a night.
____________________
Up the bum no babies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

1198
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a boring practical note will you need to be able to Work with classmates for projects, revision etc if you're in Reading?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
On a boring practical note will you need to be able to Work with classmates for projects, revision etc if you're in Reading?


The idea would hopefully be to treat it as something of a 9-5 Mon-Fri kind of thing (well, depending on what the lecture/classes timetable is). So I'd go in and stay there, get my head down with some private study or assignments during free hours, then head home at 5pm/6pm/whenever.

So any project stuff can be done in those hours, just like any typical 'day-job' scenario.

However it's a physics degree so it's mostly lectures and solo homework assignments anyway. I think in third year there's an optional group research project, which I shan't be doing because sod group work Very Happy .
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

el_oso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:31 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

live closer to London. That's a stupid commute.
____________________
Duke 390
Previous: '05 XR125L | '96 XJ600S Diversion |'05 Suzuki GSXR1000 | '05 Honda CBR125-R | '97 YZF 600R Thundercat | '11 Honda CBR250
Car: Jeep Wrangler 4.0L
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
live closer to London. That's a stupid commute.


Fair point. This is the one thing making me think long and hard about the idea.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm tricky one.

I'd probably try out living with the gran.

Could you do a test ride in one morning to get an idea of costs/time?

It will be a mega PITA when raining, cold etc. But you know all this anyway.

I'd probably go with living in Reading, but then again I'm not teh best socially. At my uni there's probably about 6 people I get on with really well, there's a lot of dickheads that aren't interested in work just getting pissed.

I worked in London for 2 years recently and had a 60 mile journey each way, did it in the car, M25. It was a slog. I hated sitting there when all you want to do is get home, but at the end of the day it's do-able and there are ways to get around it, leaving late etc.

If your saving a substantial amount of money, give it a go I reckon. Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

1198
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose living in Reading there would be less distractions of the 'lets just go for a swift half' type in the evening - assuming that Gran doesn't go clubbing too often!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:42 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading? Reply with quote

Have you looked to see if you could transfer to Reading University?

My dad moved to Reading to commute to Uni in London for his Master's - but he didn't have to be in every day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SofaBear
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 02 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:40 - 03 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in oxford, commute to uni in Ealing twice a week. tbh, its not that bad. you get used it, it does take a toll on the bike though. Although public transport for me is reasonable, its so much easier and quicker for me to bike it in. i stayed in paragon flats in brentford which was ideal but tbh, at 28 I'm fed up with all that already. i just wanted my own space with the misses.

If its cheaper, id say stay with your nan, commute in, get more commuting experience and maybe buy a toy bike instead at some point. thats what I'm planning.
____________________
Yamaha YBR125(gone) -> '12 Kawasaki ER6F in pearly white mmm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated riding my bike through London. So much traffic. So many red lights, all so close together.

I commuted a short distance for my first year of uni. I found it awkward. I had to either compromise on gear, or lug it around all day. Going out was awkward because I had to either taxi there (expensive on my student budget) or leave the bike there overnight. Would you really feel safe leaving your bike at Queens overnight?

I had mine parked at my flat in Mile End. Off the main road, and hidden from the road. Fairly quiet area. People kept repeatedly messing with it. I even once confronted the group who last took the cover off (who left it once realising it was in pieces). Once they threatened to come back with a grinder I decided it best to take the bike away from the city. It's not like I ever enjoyed riding it in the city.

Plus it's nice living closer, just being able to hop in to the city in a few minutes, rather than the long commute.

Being young and renting, I'd choose the quicker & more social option over the longer commute any day. Once you start settling down it's a different question entirely.
____________________
2004 R1 & 2018 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:29 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Have you looked to see if you could transfer to Reading University?

My dad moved to Reading to commute to Uni in London for his Master's - but he didn't have to be in every day.


Problem with that is that I really would then end up as 'that 27 year old guy living at his gran's house', because I'd have not a single friend there and would have to start from scratch. Whereas if I continue at QM in London I'll still know all the same people and have other mates there too.

Very good suggestion though, if only I knew more people in the area.

EDIT: Looks like Reading uni got rid of physics at least 5 years ago anyway
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho many days a week are you in lectures/going to need to be in for access to equipment/the library?

If it's 3-4 then stay in London. If its less then move out. That would be my choice.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Ho many days a week are you in lectures/going to need to be in for access to equipment/the library?

If it's 3-4 then stay in London. If its less then move out. That would be my choice.


Strong chance it'll be 5 days.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: Rent in London (student) or commute daily from Reading? Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

You're about to find out that it's mostly maths anyway. You could probably switch to that and it'll do as well or better when you end up driving a spreadsheet at Billem and Gougem Accountants.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.53 Sec - Server Load: 1.33 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.91 Kb