Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Any experience with Hertz Rent to Buy

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

captain_ramshackle
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Any experience with Hertz Rent to Buy Reply with quote

My venerable Yaris '02 and 155K miles is on it's last legs with horrible clutch and gearbox noises (and slipping out of first).

I'm not the greatest at car mechanics so I tend to be wary of buying a car and my usual source of info (father) is inconveniently located.


So I have a few options

1. Buy an old banger and scrap it when it explodes

2. Spend 4-5K on something from a trade place and hope I didn't get a lemon

3. Try this rent to buy thing where the car will be more like 6-7K but I can take it to a garage and get it inspected

4. Some other option

So, does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lease a car?
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

captain_ramshackle
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:20 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
lease a car?


I'm not convinced by that (partly because I don't think I really need a car).

Basically our car is used to drive to and from work (5 miles each way).

The odd trip to Southampton/Cumbria to visit parents.


We average about 8,000 miles a year and it seems quite expensive to have a nice new car for pootling about town.


My wife though thinks that we do need a car as it knocks 45-60 (per day) minutes off her commute compared to public transport.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt a reputable dealer would prevent you taking option 2 to your own choice of garage (well, within a reasonable distance anyway). If they don't like the idea then walk away...
____________________
current: ducati monster 750
past: hyosung gt250r, bajaj pulsar 180, hyosung gt 125 comet
@thomasgarrard | www.straitjkt.com | www.racingseven.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

captain_ramshackle
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
I doubt a reputable dealer would prevent you taking option 2 to your own choice of garage (well, within a reasonable distance anyway). If they don't like the idea then walk away...


That is a good point.

Talking to my wife we're torn between getting something basic for

£1,500 or spending more and going into the £4,000 - 5000 range.

My suggestion of getting some old banger for a few hundred has been vetoed.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangernomics only works if you know what you can get away with so if you are not confident with the spanners spend for security.
____________________
Honda Varadero >> Triumph Speed Four >> Honda CBR1100xx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of 5-7year old normal family hatchbacks out there for sale for between £2k and 3k. You should get something decent, reliable and with plenty of life left in it for that price range.

I've had 2x under £550 car's that have each lasted me over a year with minimal spend. One was only scrapped for a relative to get the scrappage scheme discount.

I have friend's that use the just add fuel scheme. Their argument is that they work long hours, have kids to ferry around a lot, and live in a rural area where the car is an essential. They say at this moment in time Just add fuel suits their needs, and they can live with the never owning anything or having anything to show for their cash in 3years.

If you don't need or use the car every day or depend on it hugely, then I don't think Just add fuel is right for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
I doubt a reputable dealer would prevent you taking option 2 to your own choice of garage (well, within a reasonable distance anyway). If they don't like the idea then walk away...


AA / RAC do on-site vehicle inspections, I'd be surprised if a dealer objected to such a widely recognised organisation inspecting one of his cars and advising on the purchase.
____________________
Looking to pass your CBT / Bike tests in Bury Lancashire? try www.focusridertraining.co.uk Would recommend.
They're also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Focus-Rider-Training/196832923734251
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain_ramshackle wrote:

Basically our car is used to drive to and from work (5 miles each way).

The odd trip to Southampton/Cumbria to visit parents.

My wife though thinks that we do need a car as it knocks 45-60 (per day) minutes off her commute compared to public transport.


City Car Club

Does public transport run at walking speed round your way.....
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

captain_ramshackle
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 11 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

City Car Club

Does public transport run at walking speed round your way.....


I did consider that but she car shares for work (she's the main driver) and while we have excellent public transport the route between us and the school is rather poor.

The other thing that puts me off a car club is the long journeys we do which probably average once a month.


Which is why a moderately cheap car is probably the best best for us. We have free underground car parking, insurance is around £220 a year and with cheap road tax the cost of owning the car isn't that high.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Bangernomics only works if you know what you can get away with so if you are not confident with the spanners spend for security.


^^^ This

My daily drivers are always cheapos, but I run a garage, so I know what I'm buying and if it does break, parts are at trade prices and labour is free, so there's almost no risk.

On the other hand, bearing in mind £3k could be considered banger money, £4-5K is kinda no man's land, not enough to significantly reduce the chances of expensive bills, but too much to throw away if it does go wrong.

You sound like an ideal candidate for a PCP deal, where you put in a minimal deposit, then only spread a proportion of the balance over a period of time; at the end of the term, you either pay a sizableish lump and own it outright, p/x and use any equity as the deposit for the next one, or hand the car back and start from scratch.

You get a new (can be secondhand, if really want to keep your costs down) car every few years and you aren't blowing big wads of cash on a potential lemon.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:35 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
bearing in mind £3k could be considered banger money

Could it? I'd say 3 figures is banger. I do agree that you need to spend a lot more to get a real increase in 'peace of mind'.

Broad brush, I consider that modern cars plummet very rapidly towards banger or scrap value the moment that they're out of warranty, given the costs of doing more than consumables.

Source: two Citroens. Wink
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit more then five grand buys a brand new dacia sandero
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Shaft wrote:
bearing in mind £3k could be considered banger money

Could it? I'd say 3 figures is banger. I do agree that you need to spend a lot more to get a real increase in 'peace of mind'.

Broad brush, I consider that modern cars plummet very rapidly towards banger or scrap value the moment that they're out of warranty, given the costs of doing more than consumables.

Source: two Citroens. Wink


Take a look on Autotrader and see what £3K buys you.

I just did a search for an average family car (Ford Focus) and it gets you a middling spec, around 10 years old and with c100K on the clock.

That's the kind of age and mileage where you can reasonably expect to start seeing significant faults developing, so what would you think is going to be the life expectancy of a car like that, before you have to start throwing money at it?

I would say you'll be doing well if you get a year out of it, which puts in the same bracket as a well bought 900 quid runaround.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but £3000 doesn't really buy you much these days.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're agreeing... Thinking

I'd pay under £1K (and as little as possible) or over £5K and not bother with what's in between.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pdg
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:35 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap cars needn't be a source of constant breakdowns and oily hands...

My mum's car for instance, a '97 Peugeot 106. We bought it for her about 18 months for £250 with a brand spanking new (day before) MOT.

Since then, we have replaced 2 tyres (she wore them out) and I now have to put new brake pads in the front. Oh, and the exhaust backbox needs replacing for ~£25.

Previous to that car, she had an old-style Fiat panda - bought for £250 and lasted over 5 years with nothing more than normal servicing. She only wanted to replace it because she wanted rear doors (loading grandchildren). We sold it for £250.

Almost a year ago, we sourced a car for a my dad - a '95(ish) astra. Bought for £300 (again with a new MOT). So far, the only 'work' it's had done is checking the tyre pressures.

That astra replaced a Renault scenic that cost over 6 grand and was a constant source of expense and hassle. For instance, the remotes stopped working completely so to lock/unlock 3 of the 5 doors we had to bodge a pair of wires out of the boot - touch them together to lock/unlock. To 'secure' the doors that didn't lock at all, well, just park near a wall... Following it deciding not to run on more than one cylinder that got sold for £200 and scrapped 2 weeks later by the new owner. Plugging it into a Renault diagnostics machine was going to cost over 200 quid and even then it was apparently (according to the Renault garage) was still going to be a case of replacing electrical parts until something worked. Bargain.

The wife has a 106 as well, we paid somewhere around 600 for that with 40,000 miles on it. That's gone a couple of years and maybe 18-20k (I really don't take that much notice) now - a few tyres have been replaced and I also had to replace the glow-plugs.

Apparently, my Discovery was also 'banger money' at just over £1,500. I did 40k in that over 5 years when the cambelt went (there is a thread on here somewhere). That cost about 70quid to fix the engine when I finally got my arse in gear and it's back in almost daily service again.

With the exception of the Renault (and the disco cambelt, which to be fair could have been avoided by changing it a bit sooner - it was only about 2,000 miles before interval replacement), none of them have needed anything other than normal servicing.


So, from that massively representative pool of 6 cars, the most expensive and most hassle example to keep running was the one that cost more to buy than the other 5 put together.
____________________
Any and all advice given should not be followed - if you have to ask it means you don't know so get a man in to do it for you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Little bit more then five grand buys a brand new dacia sandero

£6K buys you a manual-locking windy-window 1.2 petrol in non-metallic glacier white with nasty unmatched bumpers. Any other colour or spec costs £7300 and upwards.

Reckon you'll actually be able to find any basic spec cars? "Oooh, sorry, but I can get you an Ambience in red..."
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

captain_ramshackle
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:15 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really interesting because what people are saying does make sense and I was dismayed at how little £3K gets you.

I bought my Yaris in 2006 for £3,200 with 50K on it. I've driven a further 100K miles with almost nothing needing doing on the car.

Then I look to see what I can get for 4K is it doesn't seem much better than what I have now.


Currently looking to see how much a reconditioned gearbox would be (fitted) and considering a £1000-£1,500 car as I can't bring myself to spend 6-9K on something I don't really think is that essential.

However, it has been made clear that spending 3-5K is a stupid idea.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go and buy another Yaris, you'll get one with half the mileage of yours for less than £2000, then go and put another 100K on it for pennies.

Cars don't come much more reliable than the Yaris and if that's what you're used to, better the devil you know.
____________________
Things get better with age; I'm close to being magnificent........
20 RE Interceptor, 83 Z1100A3, 83 GS650 Katana
WooHoo, I'm a Man Point Millionaire! https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=234035
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new Suzuki alto for £6k?

£99 a month for 42 months then a 1 1/2k balloon.
____________________
Fisty: after polishing the tank with the glistenng beads of sweat from my full hot scrotum, I filled the headrace bearings with 10cc of my manmilk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of each. An 11k Honda Civic Diesel that the Mrs mainly uses and a £1200 E46 BMW 323ci.

The BMW has electric everything, 6 cylinders and 2.5 litres and averages 25mpg. However, bought with 78k miles in June 14' spent money on 4 x tyres at about £70 per corner and £100 on a bush repair for the MOT. The mileage is now 87k nearly and its always fired on the key.

The Honda does 45/50 mpg average, has decent enough performance and looks a bit snazzy with its type R styling thing. Bought 2 tyres only because the Mrs fucked them up by driving around on under inflated tyres for a few weeks (I was using the BMW) straight through MOT and issues we have had have all been common things done under warranty. However, I imagine the car is worth 3k less than we paid. It had 36k miles when bought but is now at 50k since Feb '14.

Where is the value in the 'reliable' expensive Honda?

And the BMW is a more comfortable ride.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 12 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem... vvv £1000 T reg E39, 30mpg 90k miles and bargelicious
____________________
Up the bum no babies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:57 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alans Snackbar wrote:
Brand new Suzuki alto for £6k?

£7200 in gloss white.

Oh, we haven't updated our attention grabbing but now inaccurate headline figures that get you into the showroom? How careless of us. Alice, take a note to look into that.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my mk3? Alto GL. a 953cc 645kg car that was simple, easy to work on, and consumables lasted for ages. I sold it 2years on for £50 less than I payed for it and spend just a couple of £££ on it at most I reckon.

Then had a brainwave and spent £3000 on a 20year old Rover 200 with few std parts, lots of the comfort bits removed and with a best cruise mpg of around 24. Seemed like a winner! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:59 - 16 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is plenty available for a grand privately that will see you right
i paid £700 for a69k mile passart estate 2 years ago,
and barring a cv joint and a couple of dodgy sensors, its been pretty hassle free,

i for one wouldnt rent to buy, when my car dies, ill still get a couple of hundred in scrap, and ill repeat thee process
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.69 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.79 Kb