Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What 600+ bike for £2000? (now changed to £3500)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

krockroc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: What 600+ bike for £2000? (now changed to £3500) Reply with quote

The inevitable what bike question due to me passing my Mod 2 yesterday (third time lucky). If you asked me a couple of months ago I would have bought an MT07. My financial circumstances have changed in the meantime and now I can only afford something around the £2000 mark. I know I can go to some dealers, sit on some bikes, test ride them etc but I’d like to have some targets in advance. Your suggestions would also help looking for private sales.

Here’s my requirements:

Experience:
XJ6 for lessons and Mod 1 and 2
ER6N for Mod 2 test and a couple of hours beforehand

Potential problems:
I have arthritis in my right knee so with the four hour lessons on the XJ6, my knee would be incredibly sore after about 90 minutes (due to the angled leg position). It was the same for the ER6N yesterday but I found that bike even more cramped. This is not a deal breaker though because I’ll only be travelling for 30 minutes max.

Requirements:
At least 600cc
Reliable
Low maintenance (I’m not very technical)
Using it to commute to work (10 miles each way)
I’m not planning on travelling long distance on it (ever)
It doesn’t have to have high torque – I was happy with the power of the XJ6 and ER6N
I don’t mind settling for something a bit boring if I can get a better deal
I don’t mind going for something a bit older (so long as it’s renowned for being a good bike at that age / mileage)
I’m almost six foot and weighing 100kg so I don’t want to feel too cramped on it (like I felt on the ER6N)

Likes:
Naked bikes
Subtle graphics
Wide tryres
The seating position on my YBR125

Dislikes:
Fairings
Garish graphics / colours
anything above 750cc

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!


Last edited by krockroc on 11:20 - 08 Mar 2015; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600f. Shouldn't be as much as 2k either

But...You really need to go and sit on them and see what feels right. Especially with your arthritis. Your comfort is what's important.

Also, I'll ask first first. Why don't you want >750cc?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Once again, i have to recommend the hornet if those are your requirements!

Very good reliability and build quality.

I would try one for size if your 6ft. I'm 5,11 and find it very comfortable!

A smidge over 2k:

https://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o520/bikerrtomm/20130820_192911_zpsce017205.jpg

Thumbs Up
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!


Last edited by bikertomm on 13:23 - 26 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: What second hand 600+ bike for around the £2000 mark? Reply with quote

CBR600F is not the answer to every question. OP wants naked, upright, unfaired, unbent knees.

So I'd think 'adventure', and Versys 650, but you'll be lucky finding one at £2K. Same for the V Strom 650. F650GS is just achievable in budget. Asking prices on eBay seem to be high at the moment, and mostly dealers. Private sellers all gone to Gumtree now?

Thing is, you could just pad the seat on a bike to get a bigger arse-to-feet gap, and raise the bars if necessary. How do you feel about doing that? It would bring a lot of commuter bikes into play.

Had a look on https://cycle-ergo.com ?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Feb 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could let you have my perfect* 600 (so under 750) Bandit for £1995

leaving you with enough ponds to enjoy a big mac on your way home...

its a deal, its a steal its the sale of the century.....








* i use the word perfect loosely
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:22 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight wildcard

Aprilla mana

No clutch or gears so don't need to worry about changing gear so should be better for your arthritis

Just realised can't get one for two grand yyet
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet


Last edited by andyscooter on 13:32 - 26 Feb 2015; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pity you don't like fairings otherwise I would say to take a look at a 650 Honda Deauville. They may be a bit weighty but would be good for your knees. If you see one around have a sit on it and see.
____________________
stinkwheel: He had an animated .gif of a cat performing fellatio. It's not socially acceptable. It can have real life adverse effects on other people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wednesday Biker
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 11 Sep 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 600 or 650 seems to tick many boxes.
People comment on their handling and speed but really unless you ride like Guy Martin they are great.
But people who like their race bikes or are over fussy are going to knock them.I've rode bikes before and thought what are people on about as my experience has been pretty good after reading negatives about certain bikes.But I'm the opposite of fussy.
A tad heavy but they look nice, especially if you spend a bit on extras.
2k will get you a fairly good one.
Hornets and z750s are nice too but they seem slightly more than bandits so you'd be looking at an older one.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger is right. Middleweight adventure bikes for the riding position if you have dodgy knees Thumbs Up

Short of a full blown tourer, adventure bikes are the most comfortable thing with 2 wheels.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

krockroc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cheers for the quick responses! I'm going to have a look at all of the above suggestions. My knee problem isn't a deal breaker. I'm sure with only 3-60 minutes riding it will be fine. All of my training and tests have been during the winter when my knee problem is a lot worse. In the summer when I probably will go for longer rides should be ok.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krockroc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I should have mentioned I like wide tyres. I've amended the original post to include this now but shall I presume these are mainly on sports bikes?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday Biker wrote:
Bandit 600 or 650 seems to tick many boxes.

Workmate has a Bandit 650 and bad hips and knees and is looking to chop it in for something more feet-forwards.

That said, he's been saying that for a year, so it's not impossibru to get on with. OP will probably be fine on a 10 mile commute.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robster
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

put your measurements into this https://cycle-ergo.com/ and check against different makes, not a substitute for going and sitting on bikes but it'll perhaps narrow the choices down.

Why nothing over 600?

Naked SV, or Gladuis if you can get them that cheap I found are really comfy and nice to ride.

My instructor had an older Trumpet Tiger and can be picked up for sub two grand in reasonable nic, perhaps a bit on the heavy side but he was in love with his.

You could find a tidy Yamaha TDM850 for that price but it might break your garish graphics rule depending on your tastes, also its 850CC.
____________________
Up the bum no babies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:54 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A burgman/scooter? Legs forwards and very comfy. There are 600cc plus scooters out there.

I have the 400 and despite being a scooter hater, i love the practical aspects of it
____________________
Honda H100S2 Rebuild - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=253852
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
A burgman/scooter? Legs forwards and very comfy. There are 600cc plus scooters out there.

I have the 400 and despite being a scooter hater, i love the practical aspects of it



SSsshhhh

Trying to keep these secret the more people like them the more insurance will rise
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry, it's never gonna be the same as a sports bike Laughing

the firestorm is far more satisfying to ride haha
____________________
Honda H100S2 Rebuild - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=253852
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Carvel
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Re: What second hand 600+ bike for around the £2000 mark? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
CBR600F is not the answer to every question

Lies.


Cbr600f.
____________________
2002 Aprilia RSV1000R, Cbr600Fs, Mk1 B12, Vfr400 NC30...

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

krockroc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a look through all your suggestions and here's my thoughts. I'd also be willing to go over 750 and the leg issue should be ok because it's only if my leg is locked at a right angle for longer than an hour.

07 Honda Hornet
Looks great. It's going on my list.

Kawasaki Versys 65
Looks good. It's going on my list.

Suzuki Bandit GSF 650
Not bad looking. It's going on my list.

Suzuki SV650
Not bad looking. It's going on my list.

Yamaha XJ6
Not bad looking but didn't feel as powerful as the ER-6n. I like Yamaha as a brand though. It's still on my list.

BMW F650GS
I'm not keen on the way this one looks.

Suzuki V-Strom 650
I'm not keen on the way this one looks.

Kawasaki ER-6n
Felt too cramped but it did feel more powerful than the XJ6.

HONDA CBR600F
Looks too sporty and don't like the fact that it's fully faired.

Yamaha TDM850
Looks too sporty.

Kawasaki Ninja 650
Looks too sporty and don't like the fact that it's fully faired.

Honda Deauville NT650
I don't like the fact that it's fully faired.

And unfortunately I'm not interested in scooters – I love gears!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for the FZ6?

Mate has one, certainly looks a comfy, roomy, upright position.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krockroc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:10 - 26 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
No love for the FZ6?

Mate has one, certainly looks a comfy, roomy, upright position.


Oh yeah, I'd definitely add that one – I like it a lot.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

krockroc wrote:
Suzuki SV650
Not bad looking. It's going on my list.

You're only likely to find an SV650S model, the half-faired (or fully faired) one.

The clip-ons give it leany-forwards position, very different from your YBR.

The sitty-up equivalent would be the SVF650 / Gladius, which has an updated version of the SV engine in a more modern unfaired package.

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcycles/motorcycles/street/sfv/sfv650/

Not as many around though, because they were optimistically over-priced until the MT-07 shocked Suzuki (and Kawasaki) into dropping their prices to compete.

I'm quite tempted by one at the (real) new price of around £4.5K, down to £4K for a pre-reg, if it wasn't for that utterly ridiculous front mudguard guaranteed to fling every piece of road crud straight up onto the front cylinder and spark plug.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krockroc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 14 Oct 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:43 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think a GSF 1200 Bandit would be too powerful for my first big bike? And how would this bike be in terms of fuel efficiency – one with maybe 20-30,000 miles?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Thorn This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

John933
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

krockroc wrote:
Do you think a GSF 1200 Bandit would be too powerful for my first big bike? And how would this bike be in terms of fuel efficiency – one with maybe 20-30,000 miles?


As I was reading this. Bandit was written all over the post. A good bike in lot's of way's. There is a good few forum set up for the Bandit. So information and spare are going to be easy to come buy. Try one of the designated forum's and see if they have a for sale section. Could pick up a steal.

I have a GSX 1400. Which is in all tens and propose a Bandit but bigger. Easy to ride. Reliable with a built proof engine. Easy of maintance. Really can't go wrong. And did I say about the re sale value? Hold's there price, any way good one will.
John933
____________________
My trip
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 27 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some of those on your "Don't want" list, you might be pleasantly surprised. I liked my ER-6F (the fairing is actually great at times). I never wanted a sports bike or anything like that. Not for me.

On a whim tried a fireblade, couldn't believe how comfortable it was compared to the ER-6. The ER-6 would give me neck pain and lower back after about 45 minutes. The fireblade runs out of fuel before I get pain, that's not to say it's thirsty. The ER-6 and Fireblade are often close on MPG. As the fireblade is really flexible, whereas the ER-6 needs to be worked.

Fairing has been a godsend in Winter and on Motorways.

'56 plate ER-6F was £1900 (2 years ago), '99 Fireblade was £1K (1 Year ago) so there is scope.

Try something like that before you dismiss. This bike may not be suitable at all, nor any of those people have listed above, but you won't know until you've tried.
____________________
Currently: Yamaha DT 125 LC2,Repsol Fireblade, and Bumblebee MSX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 132.87 Kb