Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The questions that have been asked and answered 100 times..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

moffx
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: The questions that have been asked and answered 100 times.. Reply with quote

So, as above. This'll be the typical n00b thread that no doubt all the questions will have been asked and answered 100 times. But I want my own thread to feel special. So...

I'm 20, had quite a bit of off - road biking experience through my teens, so I know the basics of off - road etc and I've had a car license for about 3 years so I know how to behave on the road as well.

Anyway, got my CBT booked for 10/03/15, £130 with bike and equipment hire included. Seems to fit a pretty standard pricing pattern so that's all good. Pretty confident in going into it, I'll obviously need to take in the advice of the instructor, with regards to bike handling on the road. As I'm used to just ragging about up a field. Any tips ?

The main goal at the minute is to successfully obtain my A2. Now this is where the questions start... I know I need to do my theory, that's fine, just need to get my head in the books. After that I know I will need to take a few lessons on a bigger bike. Now my local riding school have quoted the following;
6 lessons - £484
9 lessons - £644
12 lessons - £744
Do those prices seam about right ? Each lesson lasts 2 hours. With those prices it works out about £60 - 80 a lesson. Just seems a bit steep. I mean I want my license so I'll pay it, just don't want to get bumped lol. For tests they have also quoted;
Mod 1 - £45
Mod2 - £160
Now I haven't inquired as to what those test prices include, but I'm guessing bike hire, equipment hire, DSA test costs and I would like to hope maybe a bit of a practice before hand. So, again, do those prices seem reasonable yeah ?
And finally, whats the best way to go about the whole process. Should I first of all get my CBT, buy a used 125cc and get some on the road experience. Or should I do my CBT and go straight to the A2 and a bigger bike ? I know its essentially my decision. Just looking for any input.

If you're still reading at this point, gold star to you!!
Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, tricks and answers :)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're not a total noob I would have thought three two-hour lessons would be more than enough. Three or so years ago my lessons worked out at about £25 per hour.
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons...?!
There weren't lesson's for bike riding when I first started...you hopped on, ploughed around the garden, crashed into the shed...then you were out on the road. Scary thought eh?
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

moffx
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:53 - 22 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Since you're not a total noob I would have thought three two-hour lessons would be more than enough. Three or so years ago my lessons worked out at about £25 per hour.


So it's probably not too far away from right then. I haven't asked how much they charge like on a PAYG basis. Can imagine it being £80+ which just seems insane to me! I think I'll need to do my CBT, take a lesson and see how things go. I probably need to speak a bit more with the school as I've only had a quick email chat with them about it.

Clanger wrote:
Lessons...?!
There weren't lesson's for bike riding when I first started...you hopped on, ploughed around the garden, crashed into the shed...then you were out on the road. Scary thought eh?


Haha, wish it was that simple nowadays! Thats how I learned to ride off road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be go do your theory test then get to a decent school and do a full CBT to DAS including test fee's. Not one that offers lessons at that price and test fee's as extra. Just a breakdown of our costs to compare.

Our school is not the cheapest in the area and without blowing smoke up my own arse (our students do that for us) we do not teach you to pass as a rule. We teach you to ride. You get what you pay for.

Our cost from zero to hero is £700. This is broken down into a CBT, 3 full days training and both motorcycle tests. Normally broken down as follows:

Friday, CBT (possibly with big bike conversion thrown in)
Saturday big bike work,
Sunday Mod 1 training (normally including access to the test centre mod 1 pad)
Monday mod 1.

The next Sunday mod 2 training
Monday Mod 2.

Look around, doing 2 hour lessons here and there is next to useless. If you remember your car lessons, you went through so many hours just recapping what you done the week before.

If you are going to go A2 licence, go intensive.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:24 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I would urge you to do is to not pay a penny until you've met the instructor who will actually be teaching you.

If you're going to pay up front (and I would not), get a written contract.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 2 hours here and there is a waste, better to book 4 hour slots for Mod 1 & Mod 2.

I paid £95 last August for my CBT..... big bike lessons were £25 per hour plus test fees on top. Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bike: Skyjet SJ27
Sold: Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat. Sold: ZX636R
Current bike: R1 14B (Beast)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer



Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:40 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The one thing I would urge you to do is to not pay a penny until you've met the instructor who will actually be teaching you.

If you're going to pay up front (and I would not), get a written contract.


I agree, mostly. It is good to go down to the school you are interested in and have a chat. You can gauge a lot just by talking to the instructor. We're in the lucky position that our owner,chief has trained both Ollie and I so we are all working from the same sheet.

I'm not sure how other schools do it but our system is deposit and pay over the course. EG You can pay the deposit, then before mod 1 training you pay half, then the other half before mod 2 training. (we've even been known to tailor the payments to the students too).

Best advice when going to see schools, is do not be afraid to walk away and never come back. As said, for the most part, you do get what you pay for. If you go to a cheap school do not be surprised if you get cheap training.

Another good thing is asking on here about any schools in your area. The chances are, with the amount of members we have, someone is bound to be able to recommend one.
____________________
illuminateTHEmind wrote: I am just more evolved than most of you guys... this allows me to pick of things quickly which would have normally taken the common man years to master
Hockeystorm65:.well there are childish arguments...there are very childish arguments.....there are really stupid childish arguments and now there are......Pinkfloyd arguments!
Teflon-Mike:I think I agree with just about all Pinky has said.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:26 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to mirror what others have said, go have a chat with them and see what they are like. I went with a company that were made up of ex police officers and I really didn't get on well with them, they were like drill sergeants that make me feel very uncomfortable and nervous.

I failed both mod 1 and 2 completely because of this. When I went with a different company 1 month later I aced the Mod 1 and had one minor in Mod 2. It makes a big difference if you're in a good head space.

Can't remember how much I paid but think it was around the £4-500 mark for 2 day intensive course which included tests, bike hire etc.
____________________
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

moffx
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 22 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
My advice would be go do your theory test then get to a decent school and do a full CBT to DAS including test fee's. Not one that offers lessons at that price and test fee's as extra. Just a breakdown of our costs to compare.

Our school is not the cheapest in the area and without blowing smoke up my own arse (our students do that for us) we do not teach you to pass as a rule. We teach you to ride. You get what you pay for.

Our cost from zero to hero is £700. This is broken down into a CBT, 3 full days training and both motorcycle tests. Normally broken down as follows:

Friday, CBT (possibly with big bike conversion thrown in)
Saturday big bike work,
Sunday Mod 1 training (normally including access to the test centre mod 1 pad)
Monday mod 1.

The next Sunday mod 2 training
Monday Mod 2.

Look around, doing 2 hour lessons here and there is next to useless. If you remember your car lessons, you went through so many hours just recapping what you done the week before.

If you are going to go A2 licence, go intensive.


That sounds more like it! I will have to speak to them about intensive courses when I am doing my CBT. I'll use my CBT to gauge how I feel about the school and the instructors.


Rogerborg wrote:
The one thing I would urge you to do is to not pay a penny until you've met the instructor who will actually be teaching you.

If you're going to pay up front (and I would not), get a written contract.


Yeah I think you are 100% correct about meeting the instructor first. Is that a regularly frowned upon thing yeah ? Paying up front I mean. Glad you mentioned it because I would have happily paid up front lol. Just because with my car driving lessons I used to pay up front for blocks of 10.


aceslock wrote:
I agree 2 hours here and there is a waste, better to book 4 hour slots for Mod 1 & Mod 2.

I paid £95 last August for my CBT..... big bike lessons were £25 per hour plus test fees on top. Thumbs Up


£25 an hour sounds more my cup of tea lol!


pinkyfloyd wrote:


I agree, mostly. It is good to go down to the school you are interested in and have a chat. You can gauge a lot just by talking to the instructor. We're in the lucky position that our owner,chief has trained both Ollie and I so we are all working from the same sheet.

I'm not sure how other schools do it but our system is deposit and pay over the course. EG You can pay the deposit, then before mod 1 training you pay half, then the other half before mod 2 training. (we've even been known to tailor the payments to the students too).

Best advice when going to see schools, is do not be afraid to walk away and never come back. As said, for the most part, you do get what you pay for. If you go to a cheap school do not be surprised if you get cheap training.

Another good thing is asking on here about any schools in your area. The chances are, with the amount of members we have, someone is bound to be able to recommend one.


Its good to know that there may be a way to space out the cost rather than pay up front, well, if that's the way the school I choose works of course. Yeah, well I will just judge how I feel about the place during my CBT. Yeah, its the same with everything really. I always say it, pay cheap pay twice. Good idea, anyone reading this recommend any good schools in Scotland ? In the central belt area ideally.


Bubbs wrote:
Just to mirror what others have said, go have a chat with them and see what they are like. I went with a company that were made up of ex police officers and I really didn't get on well with them, they were like drill sergeants that make me feel very uncomfortable and nervous.

I failed both mod 1 and 2 completely because of this. When I went with a different company 1 month later I aced the Mod 1 and had one minor in Mod 2. It makes a big difference if you're in a good head space.

Can't remember how much I paid but think it was around the £4-500 mark for 2 day intensive course which included tests, bike hire etc.


The chap I spoke to on the phone seemed pretty sound, but obviously it's something I'll be able to gauge on the 10th. Yeah I think intensive is defo the way to go!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 25 Jun 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 23 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Just to mirror what others have said, go have a chat with them and see what they are like. I went with a company that were made up of ex police officers and I really didn't get on well with them, they were like drill sergeants that make me feel very uncomfortable and nervous.

I failed both mod 1 and 2 completely because of this. When I went with a different company 1 month later I aced the Mod 1 and had one minor in Mod 2. It makes a big difference if you're in a good head space.

Can't remember how much I paid but think it was around the £4-500 mark for 2 day intensive course which included tests, bike hire etc.


Could not agree more with this.

I only paid £400 for both tests and a few afternoons refresher training (i'd been riding about a year already..) but I would have happily paid over the odds for the standard of training I recieved. From the get-go all of the instructors I was put with made me feel relaxed and confident, no arrogant know-it-all drill sergeant antics.. Pointing out mistakes & teaching you ways to correct them without making you feel stupid.

If you can approach the tests feeling like the skills have been taught to you as opposed to being beaten into you then you stand a much better chance of passing first time.

moffx wrote:

Its good to know that there may be a way to space out the cost rather than pay up front, well, if that's the way the school I choose works of course.


As others have said, ask as many questions as you can. You'll find some schools to be quite regimented in their charge per hour, whereas others will charge a day or two's training then allow you to spread the time over four days, in half-day sessions.

Treat is as you would if you were shopping for a bike, or anything else really. If you get a feel-good vibe from a particular school and they seem sound, make a note to come back to them but still shop around & see what else is on offer. Either way, welcome to BCF..! Good luck and keep us posted Thumbs Up
____________________
'13 Honda CBF125 // '99 Suzuki SV650s // '98 Honda CB600F Hornet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:11 - 24 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moffx wrote:
Is that a regularly frowned upon thing yeah ? Paying up front I mean. Glad you mentioned it because I would have happily paid up front lol.

Pay your many-hundreds up front to the nice smiling lady or cheerful owner in the portacabin, then out you go to find yourself lumbered with some scowling drill sergeant aspirant whose idea of instructing is to shout in your ear for five minutes then take a 10 minute fag break.

Your money and your choice, but that's not an entirely unheard of scenario.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Twofish
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moffx wrote:
That sounds more like it! I will have to speak to them about intensive courses when I am doing my CBT. I'll use my CBT to gauge how I feel about the school and the instructors.


Definitely look at the intensive course. If you can already ride a geared bike it'll be more about learning how to behave on the road for you, so you shouldn't need much practice on a bike bike for Mod 1. 4 hours trying out the maneuvers would do it.

I went from nothing, did my CBT, then a month later had 4 hours big bike practice, then straight into DAS with 4 hours Mod 1 training, passed, then two 4 hour days Mod 2 training and Mod 2 the following morning. So I passed that having spent about 18 hours maximum on a bike from the beginning. And you can already ride one!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:31 - 01 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moffx wrote:
anyone reading this recommend any good schools in Scotland ? In the central belt area ideally

hi,
Central belt is a big area...if your anywhere near Stirling i would recommend Cameron Bike Training.
used to be run by the mother but think its the son who does the instructing now (at least cbt's that i know of) & he seems a decent enough instructor.
always seem to be busy (always a good sign,right?) as theyre routes involve going past my house & i see them pass daily (in better weather)

have you posted in Scottish section?

cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.65 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 95.52 Kb