Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Carb setup tips, Mikuni BST40

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

carlosvalderr...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:37 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Carb setup tips, Mikuni BST40 Reply with quote

Hello, first post, new member, and in need of assistance from someone with more experience.

I have a Suzuki Goose 350 which I'm fixing up, modifying and playing with.

It was practically a non runner at the point of purchase, water had got into the tank, rusted it and the carb was full of muck. It started and rolled about though. I rebuilt it all, and got it rolling properly again, and now because I must, I started to tweak it.

I've removed the airbox, and fitted a Ramair sock filter, and now I'm trying to get it to run. I've done some very light carb tweaking in the past, and it seems to be recommended to start with getting the main jet right, and working my way down to the pilot jet and mixture screw.

For reference it's a Mikuni BST-40 as used on the DR650, and KTM LC4 engines. As standard it runs a 125 main and a 42.5 pilot jet.

However, I can't start with the main as it simply will not rev past 5000 or so, or use more than about 35% throttle angle.

It starts and idles badly, but just about manages it with persistence. I suspect it's rich, as it starts more easily with no choke, even when cold. I'm not sure about this as I'd think without the airbox the depression across the butterfly would be greater, and as such, more air should be passing through the pilot circuit..?

However, any fast throttle opening sees it cut out when cold, but with care when warm and about 25% throttle it'll slowly rev to 5000 or so, then seemingly hit a wall. More throttle and the revs die away. I'm not sure what to make of this, as even quite lean or quite rich, with no load I'd expect to be able to rev it out. It makes enough power to ride to 40-50mph or so, but needs coaxing to not cut out.

The float height seems to be OK, but the only guide I can find is for a KTM.

The needle and needle jet are in good shape, not ovalised or worn. The main and pilot jets are new and from a reputable source.

I've been playing with the pilot jet and mixture screw to get the idle reliable enough to start with, but I'm getting nowhere.


Sorry for the big post, any tips gratefully received. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:05 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the main jet is blocked too me.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosvalderr...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, it's clear. It's a new 125 jet, and the bowl and body were both cleaned well out to remove muck. The original 125 jet makes no difference to the running.

I've tried a 127, 130 and a 132 main, and running at the richest needle setting which raised the cut out rpm limit and the amount of throttle possible, but only slightly.

It could be that the original airbox is horribly restrictive, and it needs a 145 main jet, but I've never fitted a jet more than about 2 sizes from standard. I can't help but feel that richening it up monstrously is just masking an issue elsewhere.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the plug look like?
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have removed the airbox and fitted a pod filter you will need a significantly larger main jet for it to fuel properly. Often it will need to be 25% larger and sometimes more.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:04 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184
____________________
Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosvalderr...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug is quite sooty, but it's new and it's barely run off a rough idle, so I'm not reading too much into it yet.

The BST bible is a brilliant write up, that's where I got the float setting from! It appears to be the same for the DR650 though.

The signs are pointing to trying a main of up to 150, but that seems enormous! Worth the few quid it'll cost though.

Cheers!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 05 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlosvalderrama wrote:
The plug is quite sooty, but it's new and it's barely run off a rough idle, so I'm not reading too much into it yet.

The BST bible is a brilliant write up, that's where I got the float setting from! It appears to be the same for the DR650 though.

The signs are pointing to trying a main of up to 150, but that seems enormous! Worth the few quid it'll cost though.

Cheers!


The sooty plug may be the result of a far too large idle jet/idle mixture screw setting. Get the idle mixture right before you try and sort out what is going on elsewhere, otherwise you will be going around in circles.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:10 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
carlosvalderrama wrote:
The plug is quite sooty, but it's new and it's barely run off a rough idle, so I'm not reading too much into it yet.

The BST bible is a brilliant write up, that's where I got the float setting from! It appears to be the same for the DR650 though.

The signs are pointing to trying a main of up to 150, but that seems enormous! Worth the few quid it'll cost though.

Cheers!


The sooty plug may be the result of a far too large idle jet/idle mixture screw setting. Get the idle mixture right before you try and sort out what is going on elsewhere, otherwise you will be going around in circles.


This is completely backwards. There is NO point fiddling with the mixture until you have the main jet correct. Sort the main jet, then the needle position then go from there.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:30 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go up 25 on the main jet and see what happens, then you can go to tweaksville.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:28 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:


This is completely backwards. There is NO point fiddling with the mixture until you have the main jet correct. Sort the main jet, then the needle position then go from there.


Quoting the factorypro tuning manual isn't always terribly helpful, and full throttle runs followed by plug chops aren't always easy to achieve for home tuners on public roads. Most tuning manuals are almost entirely track oriented.

Having the idle set correctly allows op to rule out at least one cause for the sooty plug and aids tuning by the seat of the pants.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosvalderr...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:49 - 06 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
temeluchus wrote:


The sooty plug may be the result of a far too large idle jet/idle mixture screw setting. Get the idle mixture right before you try and sort out what is going on elsewhere, otherwise you will be going around in circles.


This is completely backwards. There is NO point fiddling with the mixture until you have the main jet correct. Sort the main jet, then the needle position then go from there.


I agree with both points, and right now I'm trying for both. I'll start with the main as soon as I can actually get it to rev out.

Once I have a decent start and idle I'll have something to work with.

It's a little frustrating, the bits of carb tweaking I've done in the past haven't been this tricky. I got my old Ducati M900 running well with a big exhaust on it, and its badly setup BST38 carbs would at least run and rev out.

I've just ordered 5 new mains, 140-150. When they arrive I'll drop the 150 in with an OE idle setup and see what happens...

Thanks for all the ideas and tips gents. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosvalderr...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 13 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES PLEASE. Very Happy

A 145 main jet, a 40 pilot and 1 turn out as a start point, and it barked straight to life and now revs like the little barnstormer it is!

Idle is a little rich still as the revs hang a bit, so I'll try a 37.5 and 2 out, in neutral there's not much crackle or pop when revved, so the main and needle are probably fairly close, but I'll need to get some load on it first.

Many thanks for the tips. I'm still shocked I needed +20 to even start.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 110 days between these two posts...

willyd
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 29 Jun 2018
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Carlosvalderrama, I just PM you would love know what exact setting you ended up at!

Excuse the ignorance but is there reason that without the airbox you would end up with a smaller than standard idle jet?

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlosvalderr...
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 05 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:15 - 02 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just PM'd back.

I think I ran around on the 147.5 for a little while, but never got it quite working.

I know that the idle screw taper was damaged, I suspect that threw the idle jet out.

However, I still think that with what is effectively an infinite volume airbox, you'll get less of a depression and the carb will have an easier time drawing through.


In the end I decided to simplify things by fitting a Mikuni TM40 pumper carb. I find tuning a flatslide a far easier proposition than a CV carb.

I honestly couldn't tell you the settings, 2-3 years ago now, but if you were to go for a TM40, let me know and I'll have a look.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.15 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.81 Kb