|
|
| Author |
Message |
| carlosvalderr... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlosvalderr... Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 05 Mar 2015 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:37 - 05 Mar 2015 Post subject: Carb setup tips, Mikuni BST40 |
 |
|
Hello, first post, new member, and in need of assistance from someone with more experience.
I have a Suzuki Goose 350 which I'm fixing up, modifying and playing with.
It was practically a non runner at the point of purchase, water had got into the tank, rusted it and the carb was full of muck. It started and rolled about though. I rebuilt it all, and got it rolling properly again, and now because I must, I started to tweak it.
I've removed the airbox, and fitted a Ramair sock filter, and now I'm trying to get it to run. I've done some very light carb tweaking in the past, and it seems to be recommended to start with getting the main jet right, and working my way down to the pilot jet and mixture screw.
For reference it's a Mikuni BST-40 as used on the DR650, and KTM LC4 engines. As standard it runs a 125 main and a 42.5 pilot jet.
However, I can't start with the main as it simply will not rev past 5000 or so, or use more than about 35% throttle angle.
It starts and idles badly, but just about manages it with persistence. I suspect it's rich, as it starts more easily with no choke, even when cold. I'm not sure about this as I'd think without the airbox the depression across the butterfly would be greater, and as such, more air should be passing through the pilot circuit..?
However, any fast throttle opening sees it cut out when cold, but with care when warm and about 25% throttle it'll slowly rev to 5000 or so, then seemingly hit a wall. More throttle and the revs die away. I'm not sure what to make of this, as even quite lean or quite rich, with no load I'd expect to be able to rev it out. It makes enough power to ride to 40-50mph or so, but needs coaxing to not cut out.
The float height seems to be OK, but the only guide I can find is for a KTM.
The needle and needle jet are in good shape, not ovalised or worn. The main and pilot jets are new and from a reputable source.
I've been playing with the pilot jet and mixture screw to get the idle reliable enough to start with, but I'm getting nowhere.
Sorry for the big post, any tips gratefully received.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlosvalderr... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlosvalderr... Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 05 Mar 2015 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:04 - 05 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184 ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlosvalderr... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlosvalderr... Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 05 Mar 2015 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ariel Badger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ariel Badger Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Dec 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlosvalderr... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlosvalderr... Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 05 Mar 2015 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlosvalderr... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlosvalderr... Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 05 Mar 2015 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:03 - 13 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
YES PLEASE.
A 145 main jet, a 40 pilot and 1 turn out as a start point, and it barked straight to life and now revs like the little barnstormer it is!
Idle is a little rich still as the revs hang a bit, so I'll try a 37.5 and 2 out, in neutral there's not much crackle or pop when revved, so the main and needle are probably fairly close, but I'll need to get some load on it first.
Many thanks for the tips. I'm still shocked I needed +20 to even start. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
There is a gap of 3 years, 110 days between these two posts... |
 |
|
| willyd |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 willyd L Plate Warrior
Joined: 29 Jun 2018 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| carlosvalderr... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 carlosvalderr... Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 05 Mar 2015 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 8 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|