Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Free BikeSafe offered

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Free BikeSafe offered Reply with quote

On my way to work this morning got pulled over in Stamford Hill by what seemed to be a police check point. Had a balding rear tyre and a slightly small plate so was fearing the worst!

It transpired that all the officers were police bikers and they were just there to offer riders the opportunity to join a free bikesafe course (usually £50 i was told). Anyway they're doing this corporate thing where your company can get involved and have all the bikers in the office attend the course for free, but the company has to provide facilities for the classroom bit to take place. Individuals are able to do it too without company involvement.

The scheme is backed by TFL and organised by the Met so it seems to be well organised, mainly targeting commuters but all are welcome as long as you live/work in London.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I can give you the email address to contact them for more info.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely interested Thumbs Up
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email [email protected] with subject line BikeSafe-London Corporate - METOP.

Just ask them for more info on the Free Rider Skills Days and voucher code.
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:13 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please say you popped a wheelie after their lecture Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Please say you popped a wheelie after their lecture Mr. Green


Despite being legit [apart from the plate] for some reason I was bricking it...just wanted to gtfo of there!!
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling people over to tell them this still strikes me as a total abuse of their power of stop.

They pulled this shit on me a few years back. Pulled me over on a blue light on a back road near Moffat. I told them when asked that no I didn't have time for a chat, didn't want a chat anyway now I'm stopped, wasn't interested in their bikesafe scheme, didn't want any freebies off them and that I object to being pulled over and stopped at the side of the road by the police for no good reason.

Instead of thanking me and appologising for wasting my time, they decided to make it into a vehicle check, questioned me about where I'd been, where I was going and what I was doing and issued a producer.

I wrote and complained to the chief of traffic police. His reply was along the lines of "If, having been stopped, you say you don't want to stand and listen to our road safety talk, you are a suspicious person and should expect to be questioned.".

As such, the police can roll their bikesafe roadcraft book into a tight cylinder and shove it up their arse as far as I'm concerned. If they choose to advertise it by abusing their power of stop to hassle motorists going about their business they can fuck off.

I have no objections to them setting up shop at a popular bike meeting spots and engaging people in conversation who showed an interest.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean to say that having more of your time wasted, being treated like a criminal and made to prove your innocence didn't win your trust, gratitude and friendship? Eh?

https://inourelements.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-shot-2012-08-07-at-1.46.32-PM.png

LondonCommuter wrote:
for some reason I was bricking it...just wanted to gtfo of there!!

Because traffic coppers, on two wheels or four, are not our cheery chums in uniform, they're[*] a bunch of angry hypocritical 'tashed slapheads who police by resentment rather than consent.


[*] With notable exceptions. Strathclyde plod voluntarily marshal, and turn a blind eye to a fair number of technical infractions, at the Easter Egg chaaaaridy bike run. But even lions and buffalo have a truce at the watering hole.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Dec 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are doing the same course for free in my county, although the plod are not pulling you over to tell you.......(heard it on the local radio station)

So i have booked in to do it, apparently it can reduce your insurance premiums? Seems like a no brainer to me Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bike: Skyjet SJ27
Sold: Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat. Sold: ZX636R
Current bike: R1 14B (Beast)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Matt-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:25 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceslock wrote:
apparently it can reduce your insurance premiums? Seems like a no brainer to me Thumbs Up
None of the quotes/insurers I checked with for my latest renewal considered it unfortunately. The bikesafe I did just emailed you a paper 'certificate' that could of been made by school kids on MS paint to be honest, can't imagine insurers taking it seriously Thumbs Down

Did enjoy the course though. Bike coppers were all pretty laid back and reasonable; weren't too concerned about sticking rigidly to the speed limit etc. If you've already read this it probably won't teach you anything new, but it was still a good weekend to go along to with a couple of people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikertomm
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jul 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pulling people over to tell them this still strikes me as a total abuse of their power of stop.

They pulled this shit on me a few years back. Pulled me over on a blue light on a back road near Moffat. I told them when asked that no I didn't have time for a chat, didn't want a chat anyway now I'm stopped, wasn't interested in their bikesafe scheme, didn't want any freebies off them and that I object to being pulled over and stopped at the side of the road by the police for no good reason.

Instead of thanking me and appologising for wasting my time, they decided to make it into a vehicle check, questioned me about where I'd been, where I was going and what I was doing and issued a producer.

I wrote and complained to the chief of traffic police. His reply was along the lines of "If, having been stopped, you say you don't want to stand and listen to our road safety talk, you are a suspicious person and should expect to be questioned.".

As such, the police can roll their bikesafe roadcraft book into a tight cylinder and shove it up their arse as far as I'm concerned. If they choose to advertise it by abusing their power of stop to hassle motorists going about their business they can fuck off.

I have no objections to them setting up shop at a popular bike meeting spots and engaging people in conversation who showed an interest.


I see what you're saying, but, by the sounds of it you failed the attitude test.

It would have probably been quicker for you to just nod and palm it off 'Yeah cheers I'll have a look thanks byeeee' than be awkward with them.

It's a factor of life unfortunately, you may aswell smile them away!

Probably wasted more time complaining too.
____________________
07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
It would have probably been quicker for you to just nod and palm it off 'Yeah cheers I'll have a look thanks byeeee' than be awkward with them.

Not to get too playground, but they started it.

Pandering to delusional egos just re-enforces the pretence that traffic policing is done with our consent. I don't think that's been true for over a century.

Having played nice twice and been punished anyway, I now prefer to retain my self respect when dealing with bored coppers getting their jollies by abusing their position.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 17 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:

I see what you're saying, but, by the sounds of it you failed the attitude test.

It would have probably been quicker for you to just nod and palm it off 'Yeah cheers I'll have a look thanks byeeee' than be awkward with them.

It's a factor of life unfortunately, you may aswell smile them away!

Probably wasted more time complaining too.


I couldn't give a damn about their attitude test. They shouldn't have been stopping me, there was absolutely no legitimate reason to do so.

I expressed polite disinterest that time. That, from their point of view, was the easy option.

Next time I'm stopped for a crock of shit by any bastard traffic copper, I will be deliberately obtuse and obstructive. Most likely in a similar situation to the above, through the medium of total silence, immobility and a hard stare until they request one of the very few pieces of information or paperwork they can legitimately demand of me or detain me until verified.

That or extreme cheek, which I am also good at if I get up to speed.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CieL
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:48 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an invitation left on my bike at work the other day to one of these courses. It had a unique code on it to get the free session. A nice surprise.

Stinky...you remind me of one of those people who think life is s**t without realizing they suffer from depression. Anger management, maybe? Thinking
____________________
Semper Paratus
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CieL wrote:

Stinky...you remind me of one of those people who think life is s**t without realizing they suffer from depression. Anger management, maybe? Thinking


Anyone who has met me will confirm I'm a calm, amiable, polite and slightly retiring bloke, perhaps slightly prone to extravagant story-telling when I have a drink in me.

What I do not like, do not respect and will not tolerate is people abusing an unearned and undeserved position of power.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:45 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
................by the sounds of it you failed the attitude test.


There is no such thing as the "attitude test", it is merely something plod have, literally, made up to excuse their own less than professional behaviour!
The situations the OP and Stinkwheel have described are no different than having your time wasted, in the high street, by a chugger!
I assume there'll be a plod along soon to tell us that crime is at such a low level that they have the, free, time to be roadside pulling people over for no good reason! Rolling Eyes
____________________
"Everybody needs money, that's why they call it money!" Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zark
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 18 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
They shouldn't have been stopping me, there was absolutely no legitimate reason to do so.

Playing devils advocaat -

Section 163 Road Traffic Act 1988
Power of police to stop vehicles.

(1)A person driving a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road must stop the vehicle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform [F2or a traffic officer].

(3)If a person fails to comply with this section he is guilty of an offence.

"Legitimate reason" actually required? Nope

stinkwheel wrote:
Next time I'm stopped for a crock of shit by any bastard traffic copper, I will be deliberately obtuse and obstructive.


Good luck with that Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

zark wrote:

Playing devils advocaat -

Section 163 Road Traffic Act 1988
Power of police to stop vehicles.

(1)A person driving a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road must stop the vehicle on being required to do so by a constable in uniform [F2or a traffic officer].

(3)If a person fails to comply with this section he is guilty of an offence.

"Legitimate reason" actually required? Nope


True. You'll notice I was carefull with my wording. In the UK a uniformed police officer does indee have the power to stop a motor vehicle, they don't have to have a reason.

What I'm saying is this is at best an inappropriate use of the power they have been given. As would, for example, using their traffic signal and speed limit exemption to get to the chippy on a blue-light before it closes.

Quote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Next time I'm stopped for a crock of shit by any bastard traffic copper, I will be deliberately obtuse and obstructive.


Good luck with that Rolling Eyes


Luck will have nothing to do with it. I am under no obligation to even talk to the police. It is in fact one of the few rights I still have. If they are intent on using their letter of the law right impede me going about my business unecessarily, I will use my letter of the law rights to only divulge certain pieces of information or paperwork (or indicate the absence thereof).

That is pretty much my driving licence and my insurance certificate. I am not required to tell them my identity but given I could potentially be detained until this is established, probably would. But only if asked.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 18 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I am not required to tell them my identity but given I could potentially be detained until this is established, probably would. But only if asked.

"name and address and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle" [or else offence]

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165



zark wrote:
"Legitimate reason" actually required? Nope

Of course not. But it's a dick move, since most people will assume (usually correctly) that they're being tugged for a NIP or at least a stern fingering Tut Tut, and the adrenaline starts flowing.

Any copper who escalates what I have no doubt was a firm but initially polite refusal into an attempted legal beating has no business being assigned to 'hearts and minds' duty.


zark wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Next time I'm stopped for a crock of shit by any bastard traffic copper, I will be deliberately obtuse and obstructive.

Good luck with that Rolling Eyes

I'll take those odds.

I've played nice in tugs, twice, and been punished for it both times with FPNs. I've been treated shabbily for following the first rule at a crash site; stop it getting worse.

And I've laughed in a silly angry-man's face over a bullshit excuse for a ridiculous chase and an attempted power tripping lecture, and ridden away scot free, still chuckling.

Everyone's experiences will be different, but I'm done giving coppers the benefit of the doubt in road traffic matters, or fawning to flatter egos. If I never have another data point to make me reconsider that, I'll be quite happy.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:55 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.

I was stopped at the front of the lights indicating right at Bow Road roundabout (the very dangerous one in London for cyclists), where there have been quite a few coppers standing at the lights over the past year or two now and again.. when one leathered up biker cop walked over to me and said "Free bikesafe course!" and handed me a bit of paper.

I haven't looked at the paper yet, it's in my jacket in my locker downstairs. So I wasn't pulled over, but just handed the info whilst stopped. Fair enough.

Would be my second free bikesafe day if I did it - my previous was free as I was 20 at the time and they were doing a free course for anyone under 21.

However last time I was on a un-restricted Hornet with a 33bhp license, 12" micron stubby can and a single bar end mirror Very Happy

I'll see if I can be bothered again for the laugh.
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoovyRR wrote:
Well.

I was stopped at the front of the lights indicating right at Bow Road roundabout (the very dangerous one in London for cyclists), where there have been quite a few coppers standing at the lights over the past year or two now and again.. when one leathered up biker cop walked over to me and said "Free bikesafe course!" and handed me a bit of paper.

I haven't looked at the paper yet, it's in my jacket in my locker downstairs. So I wasn't pulled over, but just handed the info whilst stopped. Fair enough.

Would be my second free bikesafe day if I did it - my previous was free as I was 20 at the time and they were doing a free course for anyone under 21.

However last time I was on a un-restricted Hornet with a 33bhp license, 12" micron stubby can and a single bar end mirror Very Happy

I'll see if I can be bothered again for the laugh.


If you don't want it - can I have it? Mr. Green
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it would be a general 'offer', rather than individual unique identifying codes for each flyer handed out - I'll get the details posted up when I get it from my jacket shortly Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoovyRR wrote:
I'm sure it would be a general 'offer', rather than individual unique identifying codes for each flyer handed out - I'll get the details posted up when I get it from my jacket shortly Thumbs Up


Details on how to get the free voucher code on 3rd post.. Thumbs Up
____________________
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Amber Phoenix
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Feb 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:27 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have blagged a discount code, however if you want to book you will find pretty much all the Saturday dates are already fully booked. Still worth booking a day off work for though.
____________________
Beginner Biker Adventures Blog
Yamaha FZ6 S2 2007
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:44 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

What I'm saying is this is at best an inappropriate use of the power they have been given. As would, for example, using their traffic signal and speed limit exemption to get to the chippy on a blue-light before it closes.


Slightly off topic but, funny you should mention such a thing.

About two weeks ago, while sitting on the bus, a police van puts on his blue lights, forces his way through a set of traffic lights at a very busy and dangerous junction and continues to force it's way through a load of congested traffic.

So, I'm wondering what the emergency is and see the van turn down a side street, still with its lights flashing and as the next stop is mine, I get off the bus to see the two plods in the van get out and start walking back up the road. As I call into the local Pound Bakery (classy eh?) for a pasty, plod and plod walk in and orders a cheese pasty. Rolling Eyes
____________________
There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:48 - 19 Mar 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonCommuter wrote:
DoovyRR wrote:
I'm sure it would be a general 'offer', rather than individual unique identifying codes for each flyer handed out - I'll get the details posted up when I get it from my jacket shortly Thumbs Up


Details on how to get the free voucher code on 3rd post.. Thumbs Up


Poor obs on my part, maybe I do need the bikesafe Laughing
____________________
Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 149.01 Kb