|
|
| Author |
Message |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| c_dug |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 c_dug Super Spammer

Joined: 04 Sep 2007 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:04 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Definitely interested  ____________________ I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:07 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Email [email protected] with subject line BikeSafe-London Corporate - METOP.
Just ask them for more info on the Free Rider Skills Days and voucher code. ____________________ GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
GSXR 600 K6 - Stolen
MT09 - Almost stolen |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 16:13 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Please say you popped a wheelie after their lecture  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:31 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Pulling people over to tell them this still strikes me as a total abuse of their power of stop.
They pulled this shit on me a few years back. Pulled me over on a blue light on a back road near Moffat. I told them when asked that no I didn't have time for a chat, didn't want a chat anyway now I'm stopped, wasn't interested in their bikesafe scheme, didn't want any freebies off them and that I object to being pulled over and stopped at the side of the road by the police for no good reason.
Instead of thanking me and appologising for wasting my time, they decided to make it into a vehicle check, questioned me about where I'd been, where I was going and what I was doing and issued a producer.
I wrote and complained to the chief of traffic police. His reply was along the lines of "If, having been stopped, you say you don't want to stand and listen to our road safety talk, you are a suspicious person and should expect to be questioned.".
As such, the police can roll their bikesafe roadcraft book into a tight cylinder and shove it up their arse as far as I'm concerned. If they choose to advertise it by abusing their power of stop to hassle motorists going about their business they can fuck off.
I have no objections to them setting up shop at a popular bike meeting spots and engaging people in conversation who showed an interest. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:53 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
You mean to say that having more of your time wasted, being treated like a criminal and made to prove your innocence didn't win your trust, gratitude and friendship?
https://inourelements.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Screen-shot-2012-08-07-at-1.46.32-PM.png
| LondonCommuter wrote: | for some reason I was bricking it...just wanted to gtfo of there!! |
Because traffic coppers, on two wheels or four, are not our cheery chums in uniform, they're[*] a bunch of angry hypocritical 'tashed slapheads who police by resentment rather than consent.
[*] With notable exceptions. Strathclyde plod voluntarily marshal, and turn a blind eye to a fair number of technical infractions, at the Easter Egg chaaaaridy bike run. But even lions and buffalo have a truce at the watering hole. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Aceslock |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Aceslock Spanner Monkey

Joined: 12 Dec 2014 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:22 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
They are doing the same course for free in my county, although the plod are not pulling you over to tell you.......(heard it on the local radio station)
So i have booked in to do it, apparently it can reduce your insurance premiums? Seems like a no brainer to me  ____________________ Previous Bike: Skyjet SJ27
Sold: Yamaha YZF 600 R Thundercat. Sold: ZX636R
Current bike: R1 14B (Beast) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| -Matt- |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 -Matt- World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Apr 2013 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bikertomm |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bikertomm World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jul 2010 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:05 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| stinkwheel wrote: | Pulling people over to tell them this still strikes me as a total abuse of their power of stop.
They pulled this shit on me a few years back. Pulled me over on a blue light on a back road near Moffat. I told them when asked that no I didn't have time for a chat, didn't want a chat anyway now I'm stopped, wasn't interested in their bikesafe scheme, didn't want any freebies off them and that I object to being pulled over and stopped at the side of the road by the police for no good reason.
Instead of thanking me and appologising for wasting my time, they decided to make it into a vehicle check, questioned me about where I'd been, where I was going and what I was doing and issued a producer.
I wrote and complained to the chief of traffic police. His reply was along the lines of "If, having been stopped, you say you don't want to stand and listen to our road safety talk, you are a suspicious person and should expect to be questioned.".
As such, the police can roll their bikesafe roadcraft book into a tight cylinder and shove it up their arse as far as I'm concerned. If they choose to advertise it by abusing their power of stop to hassle motorists going about their business they can fuck off.
I have no objections to them setting up shop at a popular bike meeting spots and engaging people in conversation who showed an interest. |
I see what you're saying, but, by the sounds of it you failed the attitude test.
It would have probably been quicker for you to just nod and palm it off 'Yeah cheers I'll have a look thanks byeeee' than be awkward with them.
It's a factor of life unfortunately, you may aswell smile them away!
Probably wasted more time complaining too. ____________________ 07' Honda Hornet now full powaah! My guide on performing an oil change! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:06 - 17 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| bikertomm wrote: |
I see what you're saying, but, by the sounds of it you failed the attitude test.
It would have probably been quicker for you to just nod and palm it off 'Yeah cheers I'll have a look thanks byeeee' than be awkward with them.
It's a factor of life unfortunately, you may aswell smile them away!
Probably wasted more time complaining too. |
I couldn't give a damn about their attitude test. They shouldn't have been stopping me, there was absolutely no legitimate reason to do so.
I expressed polite disinterest that time. That, from their point of view, was the easy option.
Next time I'm stopped for a crock of shit by any bastard traffic copper, I will be deliberately obtuse and obstructive. Most likely in a similar situation to the above, through the medium of total silence, immobility and a hard stare until they request one of the very few pieces of information or paperwork they can legitimately demand of me or detain me until verified.
That or extreme cheek, which I am also good at if I get up to speed. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CieL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CieL Brolly Dolly

Joined: 22 Jul 2014 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:48 - 18 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
I got an invitation left on my bike at work the other day to one of these courses. It had a unique code on it to get the free session. A nice surprise.
Stinky...you remind me of one of those people who think life is s**t without realizing they suffer from depression. Anger management, maybe?  ____________________ Semper Paratus |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Suntan Sid |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Suntan Sid World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 May 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zark |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 zark Trackday Trickster

Joined: 18 Dec 2013 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:23 - 18 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| stinkwheel wrote: | I am not required to tell them my identity but given I could potentially be detained until this is established, probably would. But only if asked. |
"name and address and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle" [or else offence]
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165
| zark wrote: | "Legitimate reason" actually required? Nope |
Of course not. But it's a dick move, since most people will assume (usually correctly) that they're being tugged for a NIP or at least a stern fingering , and the adrenaline starts flowing.
Any copper who escalates what I have no doubt was a firm but initially polite refusal into an attempted legal beating has no business being assigned to 'hearts and minds' duty.
| zark wrote: | | stinkwheel wrote: | Next time I'm stopped for a crock of shit by any bastard traffic copper, I will be deliberately obtuse and obstructive. |
Good luck with that  |
I'll take those odds.
I've played nice in tugs, twice, and been punished for it both times with FPNs. I've been treated shabbily for following the first rule at a crash site; stop it getting worse.
And I've laughed in a silly angry-man's face over a bullshit excuse for a ridiculous chase and an attempted power tripping lecture, and ridden away scot free, still chuckling.
Everyone's experiences will be different, but I'm done giving coppers the benefit of the doubt in road traffic matters, or fawning to flatter egos. If I never have another data point to make me reconsider that, I'll be quite happy. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doovy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doovy World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jul 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:55 - 19 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well.
I was stopped at the front of the lights indicating right at Bow Road roundabout (the very dangerous one in London for cyclists), where there have been quite a few coppers standing at the lights over the past year or two now and again.. when one leathered up biker cop walked over to me and said "Free bikesafe course!" and handed me a bit of paper.
I haven't looked at the paper yet, it's in my jacket in my locker downstairs. So I wasn't pulled over, but just handed the info whilst stopped. Fair enough.
Would be my second free bikesafe day if I did it - my previous was free as I was 20 at the time and they were doing a free course for anyone under 21.
However last time I was on a un-restricted Hornet with a 33bhp license, 12" micron stubby can and a single bar end mirror
I'll see if I can be bothered again for the laugh. ____________________ Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kris |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kris World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:13 - 19 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| DoovyRR wrote: | Well.
I was stopped at the front of the lights indicating right at Bow Road roundabout (the very dangerous one in London for cyclists), where there have been quite a few coppers standing at the lights over the past year or two now and again.. when one leathered up biker cop walked over to me and said "Free bikesafe course!" and handed me a bit of paper.
I haven't looked at the paper yet, it's in my jacket in my locker downstairs. So I wasn't pulled over, but just handed the info whilst stopped. Fair enough.
Would be my second free bikesafe day if I did it - my previous was free as I was 20 at the time and they were doing a free course for anyone under 21.
However last time I was on a un-restricted Hornet with a 33bhp license, 12" micron stubby can and a single bar end mirror
I'll see if I can be bothered again for the laugh. |
If you don't want it - can I have it?  ____________________ NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doovy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doovy World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jul 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:18 - 19 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm sure it would be a general 'offer', rather than individual unique identifying codes for each flyer handed out - I'll get the details posted up when I get it from my jacket shortly  ____________________ Yamaha RXS 100 > Honda CD 250 > Honda Hornet 600 > Honda CBR 600RR > Yamaha RXS 100 > Kawasaki ZX6R J2 > Yamaha FZ1 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheArchitect |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheArchitect World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Amber Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Amber Phoenix Traffic Copper

Joined: 01 Feb 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:27 - 19 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have blagged a discount code, however if you want to book you will find pretty much all the Saturday dates are already fully booked. Still worth booking a day off work for though. ____________________ Beginner Biker Adventures Blog
Yamaha FZ6 S2 2007 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dave70 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dave70 World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jan 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:44 - 19 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| stinkwheel wrote: |
What I'm saying is this is at best an inappropriate use of the power they have been given. As would, for example, using their traffic signal and speed limit exemption to get to the chippy on a blue-light before it closes. |
Slightly off topic but, funny you should mention such a thing.
About two weeks ago, while sitting on the bus, a police van puts on his blue lights, forces his way through a set of traffic lights at a very busy and dangerous junction and continues to force it's way through a load of congested traffic.
So, I'm wondering what the emergency is and see the van turn down a side street, still with its lights flashing and as the next stop is mine, I get off the bus to see the two plods in the van get out and start walking back up the road. As I call into the local Pound Bakery (classy eh?) for a pasty, plod and plod walk in and orders a cheese pasty.  ____________________ There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk.
2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doovy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doovy World Chat Champion

Joined: 21 Jul 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:48 - 19 Mar 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|