Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike boots for short women

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Bike boots for short women Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for a pair of decent bike boots for my partner that'll add an inch or two to her leg length in order to remove some of the anxiety when stopping on steep cambers and the like. Any recommendations folks? Thanks in advance Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.trendhunter.com/cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/xbenoit-meleard-ss11.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.4ryTes-g9H.jpg%20

Laughing Laughing Laughing
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

She said "cheers, mate" Thumbs Up Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very fashionable but I did actually see an old boy with some 4x2 screwed to the bottom of his boots a few years back - he was riding a Bergmann 450. Fair play to him tho', 89 and still on two wheels! Shocked
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Ladystar
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: Bike boots for short women Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
add an inch or two to her leg length

Tritey has probably got something in his dungeon that could help. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Daytona Ladystar


Thanks. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: Bike boots for short women Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Islander wrote:
add an inch or two to her leg length

Tritey has probably got something in his dungeon that could help. Thumbs Up


A rack? Balloons? Bits of german?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above. Plus maybe a spoon and probably a banana.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 May 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:09 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Not very fashionable but I did actually see an old boy with some 4x2 screwed to the bottom of his boots a few years back - he was riding a Bergmann 450. Fair play to him tho', 89 and still on two wheels! Shocked


A what and how big Laughing
____________________
gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)
if its spelt wrong its my fat fingers and daft auto correct on my tablet
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a bike that fits her, or modify what she's got?

I just cannot fathom this obsession with riding bikes that are physically too big. "Utter rot", before Bendy shows up to give it Wee Wimmin Syndrome.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Why not get a bike that fits her, or modify what she's got?

I just cannot fathom this obsession with riding bikes that are physically too big. "Utter rot", before Bendy shows up to give it Wee Wimmin Syndrome.


We have 5 bikes between us. 3 of them (the 2 Ducatis and the Zephyr) she can ride, the Beemer and the Hornet are too tall though. It would be nice if she could ride them all, plus the additional confidence of being able to get her feet down properly will make a huge difference to her enjoyment.

Just because you're a shortarse in a sklrt... Razz Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:58 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
It would be nice if she could ride them all

For her or for you?

Because I notice that it's you asking, ostensibly on her behalf. How about unshackling her from the cooker, show her how to use a computer, and letting her ask herself if she's that bothered?


Islander wrote:
Just because you're a shortarse in a sklrt... Razz Wink

I know she is, but what am I?
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:03 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
Not very fashionable but I did actually see an old boy with some 4x2 screwed to the bottom of his boots a few years back - he was riding a Bergmann 450. Fair play to him tho', 89 and still on two wheels! Shocked


A what and how big Laughing


Sorry, Burgman 400 and, for the youngsters amongst you, 100mmx50mm piece of wood
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

For her or for you?

Because I notice that it's you asking, ostensibly on her behalf. How about unshackling her from the cooker, show her how to use a computer, and letting her ask herself if she's that bothered?


I've already lengthened the leash and she's allowed to use the Internet under supervision. This is the 21st century affter all...

She asked me to post a question on her behalf. I think she finds all the testosterone soaked posts a trifle intimidating, bless. Razz

Oh and for her, of course. Smile

Rogerborg wrote:


Islander wrote:
Just because you're a shortarse in a sklrt... Razz Wink

I know she is, but what am I?


If we knew that then there would be no mysteries left to answer. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

petalbriefs
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hai!
I am only 5"0, I lowered my bike with lowering links from lust racing, helped a lot.
I have Frank Thomas boots, not much of a heel to be honest.

I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.

I only get a my toe/ball of my foot down when I stop, but its enough for me Smile
____________________
Proud owner of an R6 Smile + ZXR400
Honda CBR 125 R - Stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

petalbriefs wrote:
Oh hai!
I am only 5"0, I lowered my bike with lowering links from lust racing, helped a lot.
I have Frank Thomas boots, not much of a heel to be honest.

I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.

I only get a my toe/ball of my foot down when I stop, but its enough for me Smile


I did notice that interesting stance you were taking at the lights, have you ever been caught out by a hole in the road or those nasty steeply sloped road edges sometimes found next to pavements?
____________________
Make mine a Corona.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

petalbriefs wrote:
Oh hai!
I am only 5"0, I lowered my bike with lowering links from lust racing, helped a lot.
I have Frank Thomas boots, not much of a heel to be honest.

I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.

I only get a my toe/ball of my foot down when I stop, but its enough for me Smile


She's 5' 1" so not a lot different. The Ducatis are low enough as standard and we've lowered the Zephyr a bit by fitting lower profile tyres and dropping the forks in the yokes a bit which has helped.

The main problem though is living in a very rural area with some quite severe cambers and damaged road shoulders not to mention gravel from surface dressing, cow shite, spilled barley and all the other hazards we have to deal with on a daily basis - especially on the single tracks. It looks like the boots recommended earlier fit the bill - they should add 6cm or so which is the difference between skating on gravel on tiptoe or getting a decent amount of foot down. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

petalbriefs
Traffic Copper



Joined: 22 May 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:24 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stance?? Embarassed

Im kinda determined to deal with whatever.

I "try" and look out for dodgy cambers and avoid, and haven't fallen down any holes etc

I have stopped on funny cambers and had to manoeuvre the bike to get on it and get stand up, but meh! I'll do what I need to Very Happy
____________________
Proud owner of an R6 Smile + ZXR400
Honda CBR 125 R - Stolen
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with what you're asking is that boots will have a heel to add height. Do you know what's useless when you're short? A heel. Being on the ball of your foot/toes with your calves activated gives you better control over the bike and greater strength further up your leg (the same way you grip the bar hard in a bench press to help get blood flowing/activate muscles more easily throughout the rest of your arm). You're not going to find many boots with anything more than half an inch or maybe an inch at a push, of sole height.

I'm 5'5" and I ride an R1200GS with the adventure seat. 870mm seat height. When I went to pick it up, I rode it 400 miles back from London with the suspension set to offroad modes. Net result = 910mm seat height. But I managed it, because I was confident and because it was my only way home. How short is she exactly?

What's most important? Confidence. Get used to sliding over the bike, get used to how it feels on cambers, get used to how it feels at lights and where the ground is. When I rode the GS home, I could barely touch the ground on one side whilst holding the rear brake on, that's how tall it was. Still didn't stop me. Teach her how to pick a bike up properly as well, as it'll give her confidence that if she does arse it up, she'll be able to lift it back up.

petalbriefs wrote:
I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.


Got it in one. More time on the bike, feeling what it does will only make you better equipped to handle it. I was worried about the Street Triple with my height when I first got it. Now it feels like a kids toy.
____________________
Biking history so far-
Aprilia RS125 - Kawasaki ZXR400 - Triumph Street Triple R - Suzuki GSXR1000 L3 - BMW R1200GS - Kawasaki Z1000 - Kawasaki ZX10R C1H - Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Suzuki Hayabusa
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:51 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boots that were recommended have a thicker sole as well as heel. She's not a novice rider by any means by the way, she's had a full licence since the 80s. She can pick up a bike if she needs to. This is about increasing her safety on our roads as much as anything else.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
The boots that were recommended have a thicker sole as well as heel. She's not a novice rider by any means by the way, she's had a full licence since the 80s. She can pick up a bike if she needs to. This is about increasing her safety on our roads as much as anything else.


My missus had made to measure boots from Daytona, not the ladystar but something else. The quality was superb. £300ish 5-6 years ago.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SinceNow
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:59 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 4'11" and used the IXS Ria boots for a while. They have a high heel and come in a size 2 Very Happy but they don't have a lot of protection.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona Ladystars.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:49 - 11 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, a pair of Ladystars have been ordered. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 134.96 Kb