|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:52 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: Bike boots for short women |
 |
|
I'm currently looking for a pair of decent bike boots for my partner that'll add an inch or two to her leg length in order to remove some of the anxiety when stopping on steep cambers and the like. Any recommendations folks? Thanks in advance  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:57 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:59 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
She said "cheers, mate"  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:06 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Not very fashionable but I did actually see an old boy with some 4x2 screwed to the bottom of his boots a few years back - he was riding a Bergmann 450. Fair play to him tho', 89 and still on two wheels!  ____________________ Make mine a Corona. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wr6133 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wr6133 World Chat Champion
Joined: 31 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| andyscooter |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 andyscooter World Chat Champion

Joined: 30 May 2009 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:35 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Why not get a bike that fits her, or modify what she's got?
I just cannot fathom this obsession with riding bikes that are physically too big. "Utter rot", before Bendy shows up to give it Wee Wimmin Syndrome. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:58 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Islander wrote: | It would be nice if she could ride them all |
For her or for you?
Because I notice that it's you asking, ostensibly on her behalf. How about unshackling her from the cooker, show her how to use a computer, and letting her ask herself if she's that bothered?
| Islander wrote: | Just because you're a shortarse in a sklrt...  |
I know she is, but what am I? ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:05 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| petalbriefs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 petalbriefs Traffic Copper

Joined: 22 May 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:07 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh hai!
I am only 5"0, I lowered my bike with lowering links from lust racing, helped a lot.
I have Frank Thomas boots, not much of a heel to be honest.
I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.
I only get a my toe/ball of my foot down when I stop, but its enough for me  ____________________ Proud owner of an R6 + ZXR400
Honda CBR 125 R - Stolen |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mentalboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mentalboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 May 2012 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:14 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| petalbriefs wrote: | Oh hai!
I am only 5"0, I lowered my bike with lowering links from lust racing, helped a lot.
I have Frank Thomas boots, not much of a heel to be honest.
I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.
I only get a my toe/ball of my foot down when I stop, but its enough for me  |
I did notice that interesting stance you were taking at the lights, have you ever been caught out by a hole in the road or those nasty steeply sloped road edges sometimes found next to pavements? ____________________ Make mine a Corona. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:23 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
| petalbriefs wrote: | Oh hai!
I am only 5"0, I lowered my bike with lowering links from lust racing, helped a lot.
I have Frank Thomas boots, not much of a heel to be honest.
I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though.
I only get a my toe/ball of my foot down when I stop, but its enough for me  |
She's 5' 1" so not a lot different. The Ducatis are low enough as standard and we've lowered the Zephyr a bit by fitting lower profile tyres and dropping the forks in the yokes a bit which has helped.
The main problem though is living in a very rural area with some quite severe cambers and damaged road shoulders not to mention gravel from surface dressing, cow shite, spilled barley and all the other hazards we have to deal with on a daily basis - especially on the single tracks. It looks like the boots recommended earlier fit the bill - they should add 6cm or so which is the difference between skating on gravel on tiptoe or getting a decent amount of foot down.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| petalbriefs |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 petalbriefs Traffic Copper

Joined: 22 May 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:24 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Interesting stance??
Im kinda determined to deal with whatever.
I "try" and look out for dodgy cambers and avoid, and haven't fallen down any holes etc
I have stopped on funny cambers and had to manoeuvre the bike to get on it and get stand up, but meh! I'll do what I need to  ____________________ Proud owner of an R6 + ZXR400
Honda CBR 125 R - Stolen |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Albigularis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Albigularis World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jun 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:27 - 10 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
The problem with what you're asking is that boots will have a heel to add height. Do you know what's useless when you're short? A heel. Being on the ball of your foot/toes with your calves activated gives you better control over the bike and greater strength further up your leg (the same way you grip the bar hard in a bench press to help get blood flowing/activate muscles more easily throughout the rest of your arm). You're not going to find many boots with anything more than half an inch or maybe an inch at a push, of sole height.
I'm 5'5" and I ride an R1200GS with the adventure seat. 870mm seat height. When I went to pick it up, I rode it 400 miles back from London with the suspension set to offroad modes. Net result = 910mm seat height. But I managed it, because I was confident and because it was my only way home. How short is she exactly?
What's most important? Confidence. Get used to sliding over the bike, get used to how it feels on cambers, get used to how it feels at lights and where the ground is. When I rode the GS home, I could barely touch the ground on one side whilst holding the rear brake on, that's how tall it was. Still didn't stop me. Teach her how to pick a bike up properly as well, as it'll give her confidence that if she does arse it up, she'll be able to lift it back up.
| petalbriefs wrote: | I have found that just gaining a bit of confidence and persevering has helped me no end, that's just my experience though. |
Got it in one. More time on the bike, feeling what it does will only make you better equipped to handle it. I was worried about the Street Triple with my height when I first got it. Now it feels like a kids toy. ____________________ Biking history so far-
Aprilia RS125 - Kawasaki ZXR400 - Triumph Street Triple R - Suzuki GSXR1000 L3 - BMW R1200GS - Kawasaki Z1000 - Kawasaki ZX10R C1H - Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Suzuki Hayabusa |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Polarbear |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Polarbear Super Spammer

Joined: 24 Feb 2007 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SinceNow |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SinceNow Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 18 Jul 2007 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:59 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm 4'11" and used the IXS Ria boots for a while. They have a high heel and come in a size 2 but they don't have a lot of protection. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Islander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Islander World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Aug 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:49 - 11 Apr 2015 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks all, a pair of Ladystars have been ordered.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 11 years, 180 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|