Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Riding schools in Birmingham area

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

steve__b
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 May 2015    Post subject: Riding schools in Birmingham area Reply with quote

This is my first post here as a new member after being recommended this site. I started biking for the first time last August due to employer relocating and doing a 72 mile round trip daily commute on my YBR 125 between Birmingham and Rugby.

I am looking to do my DAS mod 1 training and test this summer. Then go for mod 2 when mod 1 is passed. I am over 24 and passed theory.

I done my CBT with Riders training school who were good but I think it would help by having some training at the DSA test centre pad, The only schools that do this are RMT (who seem good but expensive) and Goldies who are slightly cheaper.

Is anyone able to share their experience with their riding training school ?
Any recommendations for schools in Birmingham area ?

How can I find pass rates and reviews ? Any links ?

Thanks for reading. Any help or advice gratefully appreciated.
____________________
Riding 2001 BMW F650 Funduro. 1st bike Yamaha YBR 125. CBT Aug 2014. Theory Oct 2014. Mod 1 Passed Sept 2015. Mod 2 passed Dec 2015. Wish I'd started biking 20+ years ago...luv it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:49 - 03 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know where your DSA test centres are for Mod1, ask them who uses the pad when they aren't doing tests.

There are quite a few schools around the Dudley / Wolverhampton area that have access to DSA pads, or alternative mock-up sites.
____________________
Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mdbutcha
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:10 - 03 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT, mod1 and mod2 with Rmt and passed 1st time. I would have no hesitation in recommending them whatsoever- good bunch of guys and professional throughout.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve__b
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 03 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taught2BCautious wrote:
If you know where your DSA test centres are for Mod1, ask them who uses the pad when they aren't doing tests.

There are quite a few schools around the Dudley / Wolverhampton area that have access to DSA pads, or alternative mock-up sites.


Thanks for the good idea Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Riding 2001 BMW F650 Funduro. 1st bike Yamaha YBR 125. CBT Aug 2014. Theory Oct 2014. Mod 1 Passed Sept 2015. Mod 2 passed Dec 2015. Wish I'd started biking 20+ years ago...luv it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steve__b
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 03 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdbutcha wrote:
I did my CBT, mod1 and mod2 with Rmt and passed 1st time. I would have no hesitation in recommending them whatsoever- good bunch of guys and professional throughout.


Thanks. RMT seem best chance of a first time pass, depends on finances over the summer. Getting my YBR serviced & MOT'd before I book any training for mod 1 test at what ever school. Very Happy Thumbs Up
____________________
Riding 2001 BMW F650 Funduro. 1st bike Yamaha YBR 125. CBT Aug 2014. Theory Oct 2014. Mod 1 Passed Sept 2015. Mod 2 passed Dec 2015. Wish I'd started biking 20+ years ago...luv it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 03 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riders, HA!

I've contacted them multiple times as they "claim" they can do one days training with the test at the end of the day all for £160 (aprox), a bloody good deal (if it even existed), I've even visited them and told them I have the money to put down there and then, all I got was "we'll phone you" (still waiting).

Wouldn't even bother attempting to contact them again, bunch of guys in an office trying to get as much money as possible Sick

RMT Thumbs Up

Did my CBT with them (first time ever on a motorbike) and had a blast, instructor seemed serious at first (getting to know him) and then by the end of the road part we where joking and laughing around, both me and the other guy doing our CBT's walked away saying "if we ever come back, I want this guy".

I emailed Simon Hayes the owner and asked what training I'd need based on two previous fails at Module 1 on my own bike and I got a recommendation of a day £280 (aprox), all that's left for me to do is pick the ideal time to attempt the test again and visit them in person to put the money down.. absolute hastle free.

There prices are more expensive because they include gear hire, bike hire etc charges in there prices (something some companies wont do to lure you in), as well as the fact that the test isn't on the same day as the training hence being a little more expensive.

RMT Mod 1 = £100
RMT Mod 2 = £170 (aprox).

That's without training (and no that's not the cost of a re-sit, I don't know what is).

There local to me so always a bonus, see the instructors and pupils out and about all the time, wish they'd teach the pupils to nod back though Crying or Very sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steve__b
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 02 May 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:51 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Riders, HA!

I've contacted them multiple times as they "claim" they can do one days training with the test at the end of the day all for £160 (aprox), a bloody good deal (if it even existed), I've even visited them and told them I have the money to put down there and then, all I got was "we'll phone you" (still waiting).

Wouldn't even bother attempting to contact them again, bunch of guys in an office trying to get as much money as possible Sick

RMT Thumbs Up

Did my CBT with them (first time ever on a motorbike) and had a blast, instructor seemed serious at first (getting to know him) and then by the end of the road part we where joking and laughing around, both me and the other guy doing our CBT's walked away saying "if we ever come back, I want this guy".

I emailed Simon Hayes the owner and asked what training I'd need based on two previous fails at Module 1 on my own bike and I got a recommendation of a day £280 (aprox), all that's left for me to do is pick the ideal time to attempt the test again and visit them in person to put the money down.. absolute hastle free.

There prices are more expensive because they include gear hire, bike hire etc charges in there prices (something some companies wont do to lure you in), as well as the fact that the test isn't on the same day as the training hence being a little more expensive.

RMT Mod 1 = £100
RMT Mod 2 = £170 (aprox).

That's without training (and no that's not the cost of a re-sit, I don't know what is).

There local to me so always a bonus, see the instructors and pupils out and about all the time, wish they'd teach the pupils to nod back though Crying or Very sad


I can't fault Riders for CBT, they were good and did guaranteed CBT pass option...meaning no extra cost for extra training. But for mod 1 at their office they said one and half days for mod 1 then later said only do full days.
I spoke to Simon Hayes at RMT, he gave me prices for training and test. I'd be inclined to go with RMT as they seem good but depends on my finances over summer. Goldies quoted me cheaper but I still have time to decide as getting bike MOT'd and serviced in June then will go for mod 1. Only RMT and Goldies use DSA test pad for mod 1 training.
____________________
Riding 2001 BMW F650 Funduro. 1st bike Yamaha YBR 125. CBT Aug 2014. Theory Oct 2014. Mod 1 Passed Sept 2015. Mod 2 passed Dec 2015. Wish I'd started biking 20+ years ago...luv it Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 05 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve__b wrote:
I can't fault Riders for CBT, they were good and did guaranteed CBT pass option...meaning no extra cost for extra training. But for mod 1 at their office they said one and half days for mod 1 then later said only do full days.


You paid extra money for the guaranteed pass, CBT's are easier to book and get out the way in one day, with a little extra money in their hands they're going to put you straight through.. however as you've experienced they like to lure you in with a false promise and try and get more money out of you, three guys sitting in an office that are in the business of making money Rolling Eyes


steve__b wrote:
I'd be inclined to go with RMT as they seem good but depends on my finances over summer.


Ditto, I'm happy to put the money down based on the fact they're located 5-10 minutes away (at most) as well as prior CBT experience, still need to visit them in personal and finalize what simon said to me personally via email (in regards to amount of training) but responses are swift and seem like a straightforward company.

No experiences of goldies (or even attempting to contact them) so cannot comment.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.63 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.98 Kb