Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Painting wheels

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Painting wheels Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm going to attempt a rattle can job on some wheels as I have some spares. I'm not expecting them to look amazing, but I thought it was worth a go.

One question.. Do I need to remove the old paint or will sanding them back be enough. If I do need to remove the paint can I use one of those flap wheels things and my drill? or a wire wheel thing and my drill?

Thanks
James
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 12 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to remove old paint if its sound, it just needs keying. Easiest way to do that is with a scotch brite pad rather than trying to sand them.
Sand any scuffs and scrapes out first (finishing with something like 600s wet and dry) then just scotch brite the whole wheel. Make sure you get in all the nooks and crannies, any areas you miss are where your paint will flake off at a later date Wink
____________________
Current Bikes / Projects: 1999 Rieju RS1 50
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:37 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks.

I tried to get the tyre off the front wheel last night. I stuck the tyre in my vice to break the seal. One side was fine, but the other side of the tyre is completely stuck! The whole wheel just moves, I can't even get a lever between the rim and the rubber.

It's like this - https://i.imgur.com/WuHZRIk.jpg

I've done this all the way round and it's the same.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've seen my own picture, I think a bit of wood between the vice the the wheel will help. I'll report back.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Just_James
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Aug 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:00 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to completely remove the tyre or just break the bead?

If you're removing it to replace it then be sure to fit the new one before you paint the wheels and just leave the bead broken until you're done.

If you're removing the tyre just to paint the wheels, don't! There's little chance you'll get the tyre refitted without taking off your new paint! Just break the bead and mask up the tyre with 2" masking tape, you'll be able to slip the tape right down behind the rim so you'll get no paint on the tyre and the only bit of the wheel you won't paint is the bit noone sees Wink



https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/RS1Rebuild/DPP_0684_zpse19b79b9.jpg
____________________
Current Bikes / Projects: 1999 Rieju RS1 50
Previous bikes - 1986 DT125R (field bike), 1989 KX250, 1980 KX420 (with 500cc big bore), 1992 YZ250, 1988 KX500, 1989 XR250R, 1988 VFR400R NC24, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 2008 Rieju RS2 50 , 1993 Honda NSR 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good smart advice there for a sound cast wheel I'd say! if you have a good or new tyre on it, then masking up after breaking the seal around the tyre bead would give you a good finish and without the heart break of paint flaking off when tyre fitting after.

On spoked wire wheels if they are in a state, I'd always want to take the tyre off and have a look at the inside of the rims before painting, to check for soundness and corrosion.

TBH, spraying wire spoked wheels complete though for me would torment my OCD and id be longing for a re-build with stainless spokes forever after!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:15 - 15 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks. The tyres on the wheels are old and shit so will need replacing either way. I understand what you mean though, so I'll keep them until after their painted.

I still think I'll struggle to get the tires off, but that will be a challenge for another day.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.27 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.98 Kb