Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Balancing Carbs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:59 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Balancing Carbs Reply with quote

It's about time I had my first ever attempt at balancing carbs.
I'm going to make a home made manometer for the job, and I've a few questions specific to balancing a 2003 Fazer.

What diameter tubing do I need?

How long should the tubes be, can you over do it?

Can I just prop the fuel tank up, or do I need to remove it and rig up a temporary fuel supply.

If I do need a temporary supply does it need to be gravity fed or will the vacuum/fuel pump be enough to siphon it up?

Any other Fazer specific issues I should be aware of?
____________________
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa, hey-hey,
the men in white coats are coming to take me away.
Yamaha Vity -> YBR125 -> FZS600 Fazer -> FZ1-S Fazer
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Taught2BCauti...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find 6mm internal diameter tubing is good, as long as it isn't so soft it can collapse or get easily kinked. Keep the length sensible to avoid a trip hazard, but if you want to make them longer, coil the surplus and tape or cable-tie it in place.

You might get away with propping the tank up on wooden strips, or get someone to hold it in place - I would prefer to do this before resorting to disconnecting the tank and using a temporary supply.

Also, I always try to keep the bike upright when adjusting carbs - either using the centre-stand or a paddock stand.
____________________
Honda Varadero XL125(V8)
www.TheFutureIsHere.eu
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 14 May 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found 5mm tubing was a better fit personally.

Anyway, the shorter the hose the thicker the liquid needs to be, also maybe a small set of mole grips to restrict the movement initially (depending on how far out they are)..... when I done the CBR I had to use engine oil, mole grips and crank the engine over with the kill switch set to off after a lecturer balanced them by ear Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.25 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 36.63 Kb