Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


BMW k75s Gear indicator

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Lsdinc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: BMW k75s Gear indicator Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 1990 BMWk75s. 41k on dial.

I have been riding it the last month pretty constantly (about 2k in last month) and in the last week the gear indicator on the instrument panel has stopped working. It does not display neutral and does not show the correct gear.

The bike does not know it is in neutral either, when I start the bike I have to pull the clutch to start even if I'm in neutral. On a side note the speedo stopped working for a short period and started working again so it may be a cable issue.

The instrument panel does have a lot of condensation on it, I'm not sure if that would be a factor. I'm not sure if it is a problem with the gearbox or just a loose cable, I have tried to look around in the internet but i can not find any other posts on this subject.

Other then that the bike is running great and all the other lights on instrument panel are working well.

Any advice would be great, thanks a mill

Les
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:34 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the bike model but I had a similar problem on my R1200GS.
The problem was the switch on the gearbox.

If you can look for a parts diagram it may be that. You can try whipping it out and cleaning it first.

I had a rummage around here

https://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0563-EUR-01-1990-K569-BMW-K_75_S_0563%2C0572_

Mibby this No 19

https://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0563-EUR-01-1990-K569-BMW-K_75_S_0563,0572_&diagId=23_1154
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lsdinc
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million, I'll take a look at the transmission switch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, clean all connectors first
Dont use WD40, use proper switch cleaner or even ACF50
K's like many bikes are known to get the weather in the connectors
and hopefully that's all your problem is.

There was a Goretex membrane mod for K type clocks
can't recall when it became standard fitment or if it was any good or not though.
____________________
bikers smell of wee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Oldie
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear position switch on the back of the gearbox is tricky to access, but just might be the problem as they are prone to water penetration.

However, it might be the large connector behind the clocks unit. I'd try wiggling that first to see if you get a result. The do come loose.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:18 - 03 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear position switch on the back of the gearbox is tricky to access, but just might be the problem.
More than likely.

However, it might be the large connector behind the clocks unit. I'd try wiggling that first to see if you get a result. The do come loose.
Yes it does, but on one of these things, that is far too easy.
____________________
The CBR900RR has been sold. Aprilia Falco worms its way into my heart.
Try Soi 23 on Amazon for a good read.... Self promotion? Moi?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 48.13 Kb