Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


which grease?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: which grease? Reply with quote

Hi,
the bike im currently playing around with needed new steering head bearings.
I took the cheap route & just bought the ball bearings.
which grease should I be using when re-assembling?

When I took the bike apart, the grease that was in there was red, thick & sticky.
Im presuming its that lucas "red + tacky" stuff. Is this any good?

the grease I have, is just standard lithium stuff which I think is a bit thin for this & all the other greases I have are unsuitable (copper, silicone, red rubber etc)
should I just buy some of the lucas stuff? even though im unlikely to use more than a spoonful, once a year at most.
its cheap enough on ebay (about a fiver for small cartridge)

TL/DR? what grease for steering head bearings?

cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lyam
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 06 Apr 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:46 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

moly grease
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:43 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyam wrote:
moly grease


Or maybe bearing grease?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:58 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any lithium bearing grease will do the trick. No need for anything extravagant.

Lucas red and tacky is indeed red, but isn't the only red grease out there. It is fine for this should you buy some.
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:01 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this stuff.
It's a good all-round grease and I use it on pretty much everything.
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering head bearing don't do much spinning or get hot but do take a bit of an axial pounding (more if you drop wheelies). A simple multi-purpose lithium grease will be fine.
____________________
Yamaha XJ600 | Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat | KTM 990 SMT | BMW F900XR TE
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

On steering head bearings I would use an EP lithium grease.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:02 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
On steering head bearings I would use an EP lithium grease.


I'd look for a waterproof grease. It's a PITA to get to so anything you can do to help the grease last is good.

I wonder why they don't have grease fittings on the bastirts anyway?

Probably the sealed for life (pre-packed) bearings used for head stocks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
On steering head bearings I would use an EP lithium grease.


I'd look for a waterproof grease.


Link to "waterproof" grease?
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
the grease I use most is just cheap "lithium based multi purpose grease" according to the blurb on the tub, but I thought it might not be thick enough to hold the loose balls in place & would also get washed out (through time)
normally I would fit tapered needle bearings & give then a coating of the cheap grease but the only reason im replacing the balls on this bike is cos I lost a couple of the balls Smile
it looks like they were done quite recently & I would have got away with just tightening it up...
anyway, if I buy some of this "red & tacky" stuff, it wont do any harm to the bike, right?
I suppose it will come back n handy....for something

cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
MCN wrote:

I'd look for a waterproof grease.


Link to "waterproof" grease?


https://www.foxsmarineandcountry.com/products/morris-k-99-waterproof-grease-af2-74911?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=428002849&gclid=CjwKEAjw6IauBRCJ3KPXkNro1BoSJAAhXxpyDBJ0OtfWC7y3PNH0t5EmbFzbbLdv3CVzIqh3VJl_8BoCqcXw_wcB

Use this on my narrowboat stern tube but I think not needed for steering bearings. Laughing
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:17 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:


The tub says Water Resistant though Wink
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:


Works, is waterproof. In contact with water continuously on my boat. However I'm certainly not saying its right for steering bearings, it's for stern tubes.
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Works, is waterproof. In contact with water continuously on my boat. However I'm certainly not saying its right for steering bearings, it's for stern tubes.


Fully submerged in water? I use plenty of water "resistant" grease in work, but never seen anything marketed as waterproof. But then, I've never worked on a boat though either Laughing
____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Raffles
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
Link to "waterproof" grease?

Read and weep Wink
____________________
A good loser will always be a loser.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

lihp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
excellent resistance to water wash out

____________________
covent.gardens: lihp is my most favourite member ever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 05 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Works, is waterproof. In contact with water continuously on my boat. However I'm certainly not saying its right for steering bearings, it's for stern tubes.


Fully submerged in water? I use plenty of water "resistant" grease in work, but never seen anything marketed as waterproof. But then, I've never worked on a boat though either Laughing


A stern tube is always fully submerged in water. Boat propellers don't work well in air Wink

edit to say boat propellers Laughing
____________________
Victory Cross Country American tractor.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 96.07 Kb