Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Skylake

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:49 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Skylake Reply with quote

By all accounts this is a relatively big step forward, I have one of the original i7s but feel I could use an upgrade.

Looking at the 6700k and a Z170 mobo and 2x8gb DDR4, still a tad Pricey at £6xx would be much happy paying low £5xx.

Any recommendations for kit or suggestions on the build? Any idea when there will be a price drop?

Rest of the kit is

Corsair H100i
GTX780
Crucial M550(OS Drive) + M4(Steam drive)
Corsair HX850
Asus Xonar
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jus upgraded my whole rig to skylake. If you wana save a bit of £, then the 850w PSU isn't necessary for the gfx card you're using unless you're going SLI or overclocking your rig.

My whole rig draws around 500 odd watts, only reason I put the AX860 in is because I'm likely gonna shove a 2nd gtx 980ti in there for SLI and it'll be drawing another 200-300.

Furhtermore you can drop the sound card to save a few £ unless you're doing high level music production.

For gaming, Audio Boost 3 on most 170 chipset mobo's will be perfectly fine for all your gaming needs. It's pretty good for other stuff too like music/movies cause the software comes with audio profiles.

Out of curiosity which mobo you going for, and also what are you using PC for?

I'm on MSI z170a m7 and it's pretty sweet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
I jus upgraded my whole rig to skylake. If you wana save a bit of £, then the 850w PSU isn't necessary for the gfx card you're using unless you're going SLI or overclocking your rig.

My whole rig draws around 500 odd watts, only reason I put the AX860 in is because I'm likely gonna shove a 2nd gtx 980ti in there for SLI and it'll be drawing another 200-300.

Furhtermore you can drop the sound card to save a few £ unless you're doing high level music production.

For gaming, Audio Boost 3 on most 170 chipset mobo's will be perfectly fine for all your gaming needs. It's pretty good for other stuff too like music/movies cause the software comes with audio profiles.

Out of curiosity which mobo you going for, and also what are you using PC for?

I'm on MSI z170a m7 and it's pretty sweet.


Sorry I should say the rest of the build I already have, I'm only upgrading the CPU MOBO and RAM, also overclocking and SLI will be on the cards. In fact another 780 will be along as soon as I see a good deal.

Primarily Gaming, Photo Editing and some video editing too.

I was looking at the MAXIMUS VIII, but I really don't know, I'm thinking about going for something cheaper as the £650 it'll all cost feels just a bit to much.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

just upgrading myself as my current pc threw a major hissy fit on friday.

i7 4790k 4ghz cpu
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB DDR3
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Twin Frozr

bit of a step up from my 2500k Smile
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason you didn't go DDR4? Seems silly to me personally to buy new gear but not get the new form factors.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Any reason you didn't go DDR4? Seems silly to me personally to buy new gear but not get the new form factors.


MSI Z97 only supports DDR3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a huge amount of money for what looks like 10fps increase on an already very fast CPU. The benefit of the newer chips is more in power efficiency, not speed. If it were a laptop chip then I could see the point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Apr 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
That's a huge amount of money for what looks like 10fps increase on an already very fast CPU. The benefit of the newer chips is more in power efficiency, not speed. If it were a laptop chip then I could see the point.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review


I agree people shouldn't upgrade if theyre still on haswell or even ivy bridge, especially in gaming.

But more efficiency = lower TDP = more overclocking headroom. The fact it'll run less hot will let you overvolt it a little more meaning it'll run more stable at higher clockspeeds.

Difference of OC is negligible in gaming though, some games showing around a 2% increase in FPS when OC'd to 4.4ghz (really not worth doing, may aswell OC gfx card) however your render times will fall dramatically in any kind of editing/rendering software.

I upgraded from a locked 3.6ghz Sandy Bridge cpu and FHD video rendering is noticeably faster. So I'm tempted to OC to 4.4-4.6ghz and see what happens Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:06 - 30 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
chris-red wrote:
Any reason you didn't go DDR4? Seems silly to me personally to buy new gear but not get the new form factors.


MSI Z97 only supports DDR3


I meant a DDR4 mobo...
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not found a reason to replace my ye olde i7-950 tbh.

Does just fine with a single 780ti, although the upgrade would make a lot more sense if I ran SLI.

I suspect Pascal will be the trigger for a fresh pc though.
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi



Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I see of upgrading my Ivybridge is the DDR4 ram on the board. I know Skylake won't exactly leap me in to cutting edge speeds compared with Ivybridge but I'd like to utilise DDR4 and everything else an upgraded board comes with.

My rig is used for occasional gaming (Tri SLi), occasional video editing and mostly design work.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 305 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 71.42 Kb