Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Best chain cleaning method?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Best chain cleaning method? Reply with quote

Just wondering whats the best way to keep your chain in good shape?

I usually get a rag with WD40 on it, rub it down, get an old tooth brush into it also, then give it some chain lube to keep it fresh...

I destroyed my last chain (was in some state) and want this one to stay fresh. Is this an ok way to do it?

And another thing (I thought it was Renthal but it's a D.I.D.) It's a 525 chain. Is that more for track or road use....I seen something about chains somewhere else but unsure what it means?? Confused
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same method for my chains but it would be worth mentioning that you do not want to soak the chain with wd40, it may just hurt the o rings over time, a light drizzle on a rag to clean the side plates is ok in my eyes but I really would avoid getting the o rings wet with wd.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:47 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the best way to clean the chain is soak a rag in white spirit - clean the chain, wait for it all to evaporate then reapply the lube.
____________________
Using a mobile phone while driving a car should be made a capital offence!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is for your tyres and brake disks only!

Don't use it on your chain as it makes it slippery! Douh!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ever cleaned a chain, I just replace it when it gets worn Laughing but if I was going to do it then it'd be take the chain off and soak it in a bucket/tray of paraffin over night then scrub it a bit in the morning (in fresh paraffin!) then soak it in engine oil for ages, then apply some lubbbbbbbbbeeeee when it's fitted back on the bike.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that fresh lube has enough solvent in it to shift all the gunk off the chain. Spray lube on, wipe it all off and re lube.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paraffin and a tooth brush. Thumbs Up
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I rarely clean chains, but then I tend to use oil to lube them, plenty of which flings off taking the grit with it.

I would not use WD40 to clean a chain. Personally I would use a toothbrush and a light oil (last time I used ATF).

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:10 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One well-known chain manufacturer (can't remember which one) recommend using WD40 as a chain lube.

I believe 525 relates to the width of the chain. I'd expect that to fine, and probably OE, on a 600. As a comparison a lot of litre bikes have 530 pitch chains, and some 250's have 520. It's a popular mod for racers to go to a smaller size like 520 as there's marginally less weight and less transmission loss. Probably not a good idea for the road though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not WD40?

Where do I get ATF (dunno what that is) or parafin from. I only use the rag to get the crap off first then wipe most of the WD40 off before putting the lube on..

Is there anywhere else on the bike I should use WD40 to keep it from rotting? The bike is still pretty spotless even tho I've been out alot over the winter..
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very debateable subject to use wd or not.
Some will happily use and report no problems, others will never use it as they have had problems, a bit like anything really, we all have our own personal thoughts and experiences with it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:28 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the old chain I took off must have been the OE judging by the state it was in, on of the things I didn't notice when I bought the bike but its a Gold DID chain on it now. Not sure if it's an X or O ring chain, does that matter either?

Just when I seen the bike last night before I went out. It was a tad dirty and I usually have it sparkling. Just cleaned it down.
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

timmya
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:55 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:
Why not WD40?

Where do I get ATF (dunno what that is) or parafin from. I only use the rag to get the crap off first then wipe most of the WD40 off before putting the lube on..

Is there anywhere else on the bike I should use WD40 to keep it from rotting? The bike is still pretty spotless even tho I've been out alot over the winter..


i think ATF stand for automatic transmission fluid.

i think Question
____________________
Gilera Dna 180cc - first bike and i luv it..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get paraffin from any hardware shop.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zx6man
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
WD40 is for your tyres and brake disks only!

Don't use it on your chain as it makes it slippery! Douh!


for your brake discs???? are you mad?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zx6man
Nova Slayer



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:
Paraffin and a tooth brush. Thumbs Up


Me too. Best results and cheapest option
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: Best chain cleaning method? Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:


I destroyed my last chain (was in some state) and want this one to stay fresh. Is this an ok way to do it?



If you've put a new chain on old/worn sprockets you'll damage the chain in no time. The chain has to sit tight between the sprocket prongs. If they are worn it can move on the sprocket and will pretty soon be shagged. I would always change chain and sprocket when the time comes, not just one or the other.
Surprised to hear that some people never clean their chain. Chain and sprockets is one of the first places a prospective buyer would look and if it hasn't been looked after then they aren't going to be confident that the rest of the bike has either.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tis ok, I changed the spockets along with the chain. Thumbs Up

It's one area of the bike I take care and pride in keeping it tip top. I'm guessing it was the original chain on it, but how long do chains last normally. It had 16k miles so I'm guessing it was changed at some point before....

It also gets adjusted every 500 miles as per the owners manual.

The front sprocket was wasted when it came off. Made a HUGE difference when changed. Felt like I'd gained 10bhp!! Laughing
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 30 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for fresh parrafin and then chain wax.

Or say bugger it and get a scottoiler
R
____________________
Current Bikes: 2010 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Previous Bikes: 2002 Sachs XTC, 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R, 2004 GSX-R 600 K4, 2006 Yamaha XT660X
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used old engine oil to clean/relube mine when it was looking a bit sorry for itself.

Rip up some binbags so you don't get it all over the floor and then liberally slather the chain with used GPS using the washing up brush from the kitchen to get it right in between those links. Leave to soak while having lunch.

Wipe the worst off with kitchen roll, then run the bike (on the stand) and watch oil fling off everywhere.

Wipe oil off fairings and swingarm. Fetch bucket of hot soapy water and wash oil off rear tyre. Sweep sand over oil puddles on garage floor. Apply chain wax and purchase new washing up brush.


For all the mess, it worked a treat and I have refined the system since then. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ian_s
Nova Slayer



Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have some gunk lying around for use on the cage. Will degrease with that and then apply some silkolene chain lube. It's only about £7 a can and lasts for ages.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:23 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zx6man wrote:
valver wrote:
WD40 is for your tyres and brake disks only!Don't use it on your chain as it makes it slippery! Douh!


for your brake discs???? are you mad?


i thought the same thing, you don't want a slippery chain, but slippery brakes are ok?
____________________
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I DO think it was a joke guys Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kasandrich
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:37 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugo-a-gogo wrote:
but slippery brakes are ok?



Yep its a great idea, saves on brake pad wear by reducing friction Laughing Laughing
____________________
Richard

CBR1000FM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never clean the chain, I just wear the bugger out, I don't really think cleaning the chain is worth it. Chains on my bikes last quite a long time which is why I don't bother cleaning them.

But I have been told this from many bikers, parrafin is the best way to clean a chain. Remove chain from bike and soak overnight, wipe it with an rag, let it dry and fit back on the bike, then lube up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.23 Kb