|
|
| Author |
Message |
| cc123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cc123 Geez a joab?

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:25 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: Best chain cleaning method? |
 |
|
Just wondering whats the best way to keep your chain in good shape?
I usually get a rag with WD40 on it, rub it down, get an old tooth brush into it also, then give it some chain lube to keep it fresh...
I destroyed my last chain (was in some state) and want this one to stay fresh. Is this an ok way to do it?
And another thing (I thought it was Renthal but it's a D.I.D.) It's a 525 chain. Is that more for track or road use....I seen something about chains somewhere else but unsure what it means??  ____________________ Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Git |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Git Brolly Dolly
Joined: 17 Dec 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| headlamp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 headlamp World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Valver |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Valver World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:51 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've never ever cleaned a chain, I just replace it when it gets worn but if I was going to do it then it'd be take the chain off and soak it in a bucket/tray of paraffin over night then scrub it a bit in the morning (in fresh paraffin!) then soak it in engine oil for ages, then apply some lubbbbbbbbbeeeee when it's fitted back on the bike. ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cagiva gezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cagiva gezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr.Everready |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr.Everready World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:05 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Paraffin and a tooth brush.  ____________________ the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cc123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cc123 Geez a joab?

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:13 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Why not WD40?
Where do I get ATF (dunno what that is) or parafin from. I only use the rag to get the crap off first then wipe most of the WD40 off before putting the lube on..
Is there anywhere else on the bike I should use WD40 to keep it from rotting? The bike is still pretty spotless even tho I've been out alot over the winter.. ____________________ Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Git |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Git Brolly Dolly
Joined: 17 Dec 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cc123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cc123 Geez a joab?

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:28 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think the old chain I took off must have been the OE judging by the state it was in, on of the things I didn't notice when I bought the bike but its a Gold DID chain on it now. Not sure if it's an X or O ring chain, does that matter either?
Just when I seen the bike last night before I went out. It was a tad dirty and I usually have it sparkling. Just cleaned it down. ____________________ Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| timmya |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 timmya Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 06 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr.Everready |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr.Everready World Chat Champion

Joined: 28 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zx6man |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zx6man Nova Slayer

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zx6man |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zx6man Nova Slayer

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zoffo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zoffo Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cc123 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cc123 Geez a joab?

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:17 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Tis ok, I changed the spockets along with the chain.
It's one area of the bike I take care and pride in keeping it tip top. I'm guessing it was the original chain on it, but how long do chains last normally. It had 16k miles so I'm guessing it was changed at some point before....
It also gets adjusted every 500 miles as per the owners manual.
The front sprocket was wasted when it came off. Made a HUGE difference when changed. Felt like I'd gained 10bhp!!  ____________________ Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/ |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mantzy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mantzy Spanner Monkey

Joined: 30 May 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:12 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used old engine oil to clean/relube mine when it was looking a bit sorry for itself.
Rip up some binbags so you don't get it all over the floor and then liberally slather the chain with used GPS using the washing up brush from the kitchen to get it right in between those links. Leave to soak while having lunch.
Wipe the worst off with kitchen roll, then run the bike (on the stand) and watch oil fling off everywhere.
Wipe oil off fairings and swingarm. Fetch bucket of hot soapy water and wash oil off rear tyre. Sweep sand over oil puddles on garage floor. Apply chain wax and purchase new washing up brush.
For all the mess, it worked a treat and I have refined the system since then.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ian_s |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ian_s Nova Slayer
Joined: 20 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hugo-a-gogo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hugo-a-gogo Trackday Trickster

Joined: 13 Feb 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 21:29 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Erm, I DO think it was a joke guys  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kasandrich |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kasandrich Trackday Trickster

Joined: 20 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mattsmith95 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattsmith95 Traffic Copper
Joined: 03 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|