Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone run a company bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

johnafish
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Anyone run a company bike? Reply with quote

I've looked into this and it all seems pretty positive, basically I should be able to run a company bike for a damn sight less than running it privately. Is anyone doing this now? If so what are your experiences with it?

I'm actually thinking of leasing or contract hire. Anyone have any experience of particular lease / hire companies.
____________________
John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, it's :-

Quote:
normally 20% of market value and running expenses, less any contributions, and any business use.


and you can reclaim business mileage at 24p a mile. But you probably already know that bit Smile I'd be tempted to have the company buy the bike, then depreciate it. It's something I'm tempted to do.

[edit] Interesting post with examples of claiming :-

https://www.fleetnewsnet.co.uk/news/view_article.asp?s=view_article&art_ID=36021&menu=1
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

johnafish
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I mean the business will contract hire the bike, insure it service etc and it should be able to reclaim the VAT on a portion of the contract hire & all the maintenance costs.

And I won't pay for it in my tax code because it's a bike and they're exempt from 'company car' taxes.

It is my firm and therefor my money anyway, but it looks like a way of running a bike and changing it regularly but at a lower cost than paying myself the money (and paying income taxes) then buying and running a bike.

I think its 30% cheaper, but I'm no accountant, anyone know more?
____________________
John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about it being exempt from the company car regulations, and you can indeed claim VAT back on service and repairs (not sure about the lease charge though) if your company is VAT registered. Service and repair of the vehice will also be reclaimable as allowable expenses against tax, but the amount of benefit of this to you will depend on whether you are limited or a sole trader.

You will have to be able to show that you do business mileage on the bike, as otherwise it could be taxed to you personally as an asset made available rather than a company vehicle though.

At the moment fuel benefit charges and Vat scale charges don't apply to bikes, but I understand this is under scrutiny at the moment and it's possible that the definition of a company car for fuel purposes will include bikes at some point in the future!

You can't claim back the 24p mileage rate though, this is if you do business miles on your own bike.

I agree with you that the cost of leasing a bike through the company would be about 30% cheaper than being given the money (if you are a basic rate taxpayer?) but you may find that buying a bike then claiming your capital allowances and depreciation is a much more cost-effective way to go as I am not sure there are that many bikes available to lease in the UK.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Johna

Flogged any more on here than you did on IXXRA Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnafish
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:53 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I realise I'm not going to get anywhere trying to hard sell my product (www.bikelug.co.uk), I quite like this forum, that's why I'm here, but if people see & remember the trailers (www.bikelug.co.uk) that's a bonus.

I went to the IXXRA forum because I noticed I was getting referrals from that site (I have a good website logging system), if that happens it's obvious that people are discussing my product so I usually pop in and comment.
____________________
John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can probably arrange a contract bike but the deposit will kill you on a big bike. Unless you want to pay through the roof you would also have to pay your own insurance.

I had my own hire company for 4 years and if a meeting goes well tomorrow I will be starting a new one in the next few months.

Feel free to PM.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

johnafish
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:46 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse my poor terminology, when I said contract hire I should have said a full maintenance lease.

I've noticed that BMW are doing bikes now through their lease company and one or two of the big leasing firms are also offering bikes. The prices look pretty good to me with low deposits & full maintenance contracts, similar to their car financing products.
____________________
John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kasandrich
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to have a look at your bikelug site, looks like a clever design, but quite pricey Confused
____________________
Richard

CBR1000FM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sakean99
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: My two penn'orth Reply with quote

When I was self-employed (OK; it was with a car not a bike) I found it was best to buy a big old car with no depreciation but high running costs.
This got me my Classic Merc roadster.
For tax purposes, depreciation is via "Capital Allowance" and is fixed at 25% pa of remaining capital. Running costs are 100% recoverable if no private mileage and VAT is fully recoverable on repairs etc (plus petrol if relevant qtrly fee is paid to cover private benefit)
I didn't fancy lease hire as I would only have been able to afford a bog standard rep mobile Crying or Very sad and had to pay out the silly monthly fee myself before claiming it as an expense against tax at the end of the year.
Bikes may work out different unless you decide you want a Goldie or something like in my avatar!
____________________
Born again Bikers can do it again, & again, & again!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnafish
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

kasandrich wrote:
Just been to have a look at your bikelug site, looks like a clever design, but quite pricey Confused


It is expensive when compared to rigid trailers, but we're not trying to compete with them, if you look at other 'collapsible' trailers they are more expensive than us. I guess if you can live with a rigid trailer that's the sensible option, however if (like me) you have a specific requirement for a trailer that will fit into a car boot then our trailer may be the answer.

To be honest the trailers aren't my main business, it was a spin-off of running a design consultancy and wanting a fold-up trailer for myself, we advertised it just to see what the interest would be and since then we've sold about 10 each month; so there are people who want them at a price that makes it worthwhile for us. Thumbs Up
____________________
John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gran used to run a company car when she had her own business - can't remember the details but it worked out much cheaper than owning it herself. VAT free purchase and servicing and allowance for mileage - can't be bad. And I ended up taking it to the other side of the country for a year, so it wasn't really business use either. Smile

Only thing to remember is that the vehicle belongs to the business, so if you sell the business you personally have to buy the vehicle from it if you want to keep it, although you get it for way less than the going rate.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 78.91 Kb