|
|
| Author |
Message |
| johnafish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnafish Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:05 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: Anyone run a company bike? |
 |
|
I've looked into this and it all seems pretty positive, basically I should be able to run a company bike for a damn sight less than running it privately. Is anyone doing this now? If so what are your experiences with it?
I'm actually thinking of leasing or contract hire. Anyone have any experience of particular lease / hire companies. ____________________ John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:23 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
As I understand it, it's :-
| Quote: | normally 20% of market value and running expenses, less any contributions, and any business use. |
and you can reclaim business mileage at 24p a mile. But you probably already know that bit I'd be tempted to have the company buy the bike, then depreciate it. It's something I'm tempted to do.
[edit] Interesting post with examples of claiming :-
https://www.fleetnewsnet.co.uk/news/view_article.asp?s=view_article&art_ID=36021&menu=1 ____________________ Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet
[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581] |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnafish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnafish Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:35 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yes, that's what I mean the business will contract hire the bike, insure it service etc and it should be able to reclaim the VAT on a portion of the contract hire & all the maintenance costs.
And I won't pay for it in my tax code because it's a bike and they're exempt from 'company car' taxes.
It is my firm and therefor my money anyway, but it looks like a way of running a bike and changing it regularly but at a lower cost than paying myself the money (and paying income taxes) then buying and running a bike.
I think its 30% cheaper, but I'm no accountant, anyone know more? ____________________ John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:06 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
You're right about it being exempt from the company car regulations, and you can indeed claim VAT back on service and repairs (not sure about the lease charge though) if your company is VAT registered. Service and repair of the vehice will also be reclaimable as allowable expenses against tax, but the amount of benefit of this to you will depend on whether you are limited or a sole trader.
You will have to be able to show that you do business mileage on the bike, as otherwise it could be taxed to you personally as an asset made available rather than a company vehicle though.
At the moment fuel benefit charges and Vat scale charges don't apply to bikes, but I understand this is under scrutiny at the moment and it's possible that the definition of a company car for fuel purposes will include bikes at some point in the future!
You can't claim back the 24p mileage rate though, this is if you do business miles on your own bike.
I agree with you that the cost of leasing a bike through the company would be about 30% cheaper than being given the money (if you are a basic rate taxpayer?) but you may find that buying a bike then claiming your capital allowances and depreciation is a much more cost-effective way to go as I am not sure there are that many bikes available to lease in the UK. ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zoffo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zoffo Brolly Dolly

Joined: 01 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:33 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hello Johna
Flogged any more on here than you did on IXXRA  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnafish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnafish Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:53 - 11 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
No, I realise I'm not going to get anywhere trying to hard sell my product (www.bikelug.co.uk), I quite like this forum, that's why I'm here, but if people see & remember the trailers (www.bikelug.co.uk) that's a bonus.
I went to the IXXRA forum because I noticed I was getting referrals from that site (I have a good website logging system), if that happens it's obvious that people are discussing my product so I usually pop in and comment. ____________________ John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnafish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnafish Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 02:46 - 12 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Excuse my poor terminology, when I said contract hire I should have said a full maintenance lease.
I've noticed that BMW are doing bikes now through their lease company and one or two of the big leasing firms are also offering bikes. The prices look pretty good to me with low deposits & full maintenance contracts, similar to their car financing products. ____________________ John Fish,
Bikelug Collapsible Motorcycle Trailers
www.bikelug.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kasandrich |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kasandrich Trackday Trickster

Joined: 20 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:45 - 12 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just been to have a look at your bikelug site, looks like a clever design, but quite pricey  ____________________ Richard
CBR1000FM |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sakean99 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sakean99 Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 31 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 09:53 - 12 Feb 2005 Post subject: My two penn'orth |
 |
|
When I was self-employed (OK; it was with a car not a bike) I found it was best to buy a big old car with no depreciation but high running costs.
This got me my Classic Merc roadster.
For tax purposes, depreciation is via "Capital Allowance" and is fixed at 25% pa of remaining capital. Running costs are 100% recoverable if no private mileage and VAT is fully recoverable on repairs etc (plus petrol if relevant qtrly fee is paid to cover private benefit)
I didn't fancy lease hire as I would only have been able to afford a bog standard rep mobile and had to pay out the silly monthly fee myself before claiming it as an expense against tax at the end of the year.
Bikes may work out different unless you decide you want a Goldie or something like in my avatar! ____________________ Born again Bikers can do it again, & again, & again! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| johnafish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 johnafish Two Stroke Sniffer

Joined: 17 Jan 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:26 - 12 Feb 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My gran used to run a company car when she had her own business - can't remember the details but it worked out much cheaper than owning it herself. VAT free purchase and servicing and allowance for mileage - can't be bad. And I ended up taking it to the other side of the country for a year, so it wasn't really business use either.
Only thing to remember is that the vehicle belongs to the business, so if you sell the business you personally have to buy the vehicle from it if you want to keep it, although you get it for way less than the going rate. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|