Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


2013 Street Triple Timing - Timing marks not 100%

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:10 - 31 Dec 2015    Post subject: 2013 Street Triple Timing - Timing marks not 100% Reply with quote

I've just re-shimmed all the valves on my 2013 Street Triple but am wondering if the fact the alignment marks on the cams aren't 100% opposing is an issue?

Just to clarify, this picture was before I took the cams out. You can see that the horizontal lines on the cams (covered in paint) which should point towards each other at TDC on C1 are not quite aligned.
The intake cam (left of pic) points slightly up when the exhaust cam points horizontal.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/151205%20-%20Striple%2012k%20Service/20151213_145028.resized_zpsndpsedao.jpg

Small dot on cog aligning with mark on crankcase.
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/151205%20-%20Striple%2012k%20Service/20151220_121428.resized_zpsid7h6aka.jpg


https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/151205%20-%20Striple%2012k%20Service/20151220_121519.resized_zpsrmbaloc5.jpg


This is after I put the cams back. Roughly the same as before I think.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/151205%20-%20Striple%2012k%20Service/20151229_170805.resized_zps7tojj2bb.jpg


https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/151205%20-%20Striple%2012k%20Service/20151229_170836.resized_zpstkntmord.jpg


I tried to get the marks on the sprockets to align, but one tooth higher or lower on the cam chain and the alignment marks were either above each other or below.
So this was the closest I could get and I think matches how it was.

What do you think? Would you be happy with that?

Or would you adjust the sprockets via the torx bolts shown in the pics (requires a £30 triumph tool apparently)?

Cyl2 Intake clearances were 0.10 when the others were around 0.16.
All the exhaust clearances were around 0.25 (range should be 0.325 to 0.375).

So I'm looking at the tightening on all the exhaust clearances on an 11k mile bike. Then I'm looking at the camshaft timing marks that don't appear to be exactly aligned and I'm putting 2+2 together and coming up with 4 or 40,000?

Advice very much appreciated!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:20 - 31 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to be normal

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64422

Also, are those aftermarket cam sprockets?
____________________
Some shite cruiser. Now with guns and FREEDOM!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:23 - 31 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Seem to be normal

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64422

Also, are those aftermarket cam sprockets?



Cheers boss Thumbs Up

Honestly, I spent a an hour googling this before posting here. So much so that after I posted here, I carried on searching and this post was the first item returned by a google search Shocked
I took that to be a bad sign Very Happy

The 12k mile service is (according to Triumph Service Manual) supposed to include re-timing using this Triumph device that slots between the cutouts on the camshafts on the opposite side to the sprockets (pics in earlier post).
Then, having slackened the torx fixings holding the sprockets to the camshafts, you can rotate the sprockets (having removed the tensioner & chain) to get the alignment marks correct while the camshafts remain correctly positioned.

These adjustable sprockets I think appeared from the Mk2 onwards.

I think I'll leave it as was, as it was working and I'll limit the things I've messed with on my first attempt.

As a side note, the position of the lobes on Cyl1 at "TDC" seems to have lots of people thinking their cams are on back to front.
The only other bike I've done is my SV and they were definitely up & out (10:00 & 02:00), not down and together (04:00 & 08:00).
Possibly Triumph call it TDC on Cyl1, but actually the firing order is different. Certainly what I have matches the diagrams in the Triumph Service Manual (which covers my VIN), so just an observation really.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier



Joined: 21 Nov 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 31 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marks will be out because the cam chain stretches over time, retarding the timing from where it was supposed to be. The slotted gears are a nice thought but not as nice as driving the cams with gears from the crank..

The timing marks in the TRX seemed to be nowhere near, I was so glad I put some Tipp-Ex marks on the gears and chain before I took it all to bits.
____________________
1994 CB250, 1984 CBX250RS-E, 1989 K100RS, 1995 TRX850, 2016 Z250SL
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 31 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from the photo - is the tensioner in place and tensioning the chain, or is it slack?

No point trying to get a good read off it with the chain loose - it can allow just enough play to look wrong, without being enough of a difference to be out by a tooth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 31 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. OK, so ideally it does sound like I should have tweaked the timing via the adjustable cam sprockets, but to be honest I'm just happy shes back together and running

Will make sure the timing tool is ordered before the next clearance check and do it a bit early.

Robby, the tensioner was in place for those pics.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.43 Kb