Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Feeling like a learner!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Feeling like a learner! Reply with quote

Uncharacteristically apprehensive, and a little nervy. I've got my IAM assessment in the morning, to decide what work needs doing before my advanced test, and it feels odd. It's been 14 years since my riding has been scrutinised, and while I have lots of experience, and (usually) consider myself pretty competent, the idea of being followed for a few hours, and then having my riding slagged off disturbs me.......

...... want a laugh?........ Try a U- turn on a Blackbird!

Laughing
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kasandrich
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 20 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it, I'm working on my advanced test, they won't rip your riding to bits, its not the way they do things, everything is done very constructively, they do not generally say negative things, just concentrate on the way forward Thumbs Up

It'll be a good ride, you'll enjoy it. The IAM way is very different.
____________________
Richard

CBR1000FM
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be fine! Thumbs Up

Just do what you always do, if they do pick up on any "bad habits" it's only going to be for the good of your riding at the end of the day isn't it?

PS - U-turn hint, find a wider road........ Razz

Enjoy the IAM & let us know how you get on - do I see an excuse for a party looming on the horizon?!!!!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyyam wrote:
......do I see an excuse for a party looming on the horizon?!!!!



Do we need an excuse? Laughing
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point!

Well the new gazebo & the BBQ have been tested satisfactorily for the coming season, and both are in good order and at your disposal if required!

But don't let CEW near the home-made Sangria...!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry.

I found car IAM really helpful. I mean if you're up to the standard, any minor things will be "passed off", as generally your riding will be good enough.

When you're good enough you will know it, and you'll be on-top of everything. Cool . That is a great feeling.

And anything you do do wrong/aren't good enough at will be noted, and you can improve on it.

Win-win all round really. Very Happy

Btw I got lots of things "wrong" in my first few sessions. All part of learning...

Think about it...at the end of the day you can still ride home, so it’s not as if you lose anything, just gain. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks!

It turns out that I'm not a riding god. Sad

Still, the only 'poor' box that I got ticked on the assessment sheet was in the 'observation of speed limits' category. Twisted Evil

But after riding all this time it was still a great learning experience, and I'm really looking forward to the rest. So far I would definitely recommend it. Thumbs Up
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy-G wrote:
.....but for you I wouldn't have thought your paying much anyway?


Are you calling me old eh?........ Eh?

No, apparently there are insurers that offer up to 20% discount for IAM members, but that's not the reason. I just felt that, given that my test was around 14 years ago, and that that was the last time that my riding was properly scrutinised, I was about due a critical appraisal. I've always been aware that there is more to learn (there probably always will be), and figured that this was the best way to learn more about road riding in a short space of time. Given that the IAM is a registered charity, and therefore pretty cheap I felt that I had little to lose, and what I learned today backed that up. There were many thing that were obvious as soon as it was pointed out to me. I'm really optimistic about the rest of the training, and Leicester IAM seem to be a pretty decent bunch (cos I did have visions of old 'speed nazis' on BMWs).
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a set assessment route that starts at the dovecote pub, and runs through Enderby, Huncote, and Croft, and that's what I did today (3 times), but after this the routes are different every time, according to the riders needs. I know what you mean about red hill circle though, I go use it every time we go up to the Ox and it's always a pain in the arse. Thumbs Down
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.23 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 72.69 Kb