|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Filtertron |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Filtertron L Plate Warrior
Joined: 23 Dec 2015 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:37 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: Dropping Out |
 |
|
Hello everyone,
I was having a bit of a chat with my girlfriend over the weekend and she asked if I'd made my mind up about the bike I want when I pass my test. "Great" I thought, "She's taking a real interest in this."
I told her I was still not 100% sure but I was thinking of getting an "in-between" bike that I could use to get round on while I get some road experience. And anyway, I guess there's a chance I might drop it a couple of times. At that point she looked horrified and kind of withdrew from the conversation. Before we speak about it again, I was wondering about the statistics in this area.Which brings me to the real reason I am writing this.
I was wondering, of all those reading this post,
1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?
2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?
3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?
I assume somebody might have asked these questions before (I saw the "spill counter") but I was trying to nail it to newbie riding, so if there's an existing thread then I'd appreciate a link or something?
I think if I had some answers to these questions then it might ease her mind a bit as she thinks my acceptance of the likelihood of dropping a bike is tantamount to making it inevitable!
A great, cheery way to start a Monday(!) ____________________ I would never join a club that would have me as a member (Groucho Marx) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| anthony_r6 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 anthony_r6 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Mar 2011 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 09:45 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: Re: Dropping Out |
 |
|
| Filtertron wrote: | 1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding? |
Pretty much everyone will drop a bike when you're first starting out, when you're new you underestimate how much the bike weighs when it finally tips over.
| Filtertron wrote: | 2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else? |
I've come off on Diesel, Ice/Snow (Stupid to be riding on a side road in that weather), wet manhole covers, Gravel (Whilst practicing my emergency stop for my MOD1 that day, and I've hit a couple of cars as I was filtering (Woman closed the gap I was going through to get around a stopped taxi on a multi-lane road and I got jammed between her car and another. I don't believe it was my fault, but inexperience and a lack of anticipation certainly resulted in me not being able to avoid it.
I don't do "staying on" well.
| Filtertron wrote: | 3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment? |
Road rash on various parts of my body from falling off, deep bruises from banging the floor, lost my big toenail after booting the floor coming off (Thank god it grew back) - My bikes have been through the ringer and have had a lot of work done on them after I kept crashing. ____________________ Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| grr666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 grr666 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Jun 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:48 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bikes are heavy, people will drop heavy things if they aren't used to heaving heavy things about.
Wouldn't matter if it was a washing machine on a sack barrow, the weight and general bulk of the load is the issue.
I nearly dropped mine getting it out of the shed once but was able to stop it going over, if it's going to happen it will
probably be while the bikes being all slow and unwieldy, often when you are physically handling it in such a way
where your legs can't take the weight if it suddenly overbalances. Mines such a sod to put away that there's a lot
of handling getting it from road to storage space, including rolling it both down then up metal ramps, until my storage is
more convenient, I'll be sticking to relatively lightweight machines. ____________________ Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| M.C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 M.C Super Spammer
Joined: 29 Sep 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| P.addy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 P.addy Red Rocket
Joined: 14 Feb 2008 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| grr666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 grr666 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Jun 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:36 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
^
Steer clear of vans seems to be a good plan? ____________________ Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Doomsnite |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Doomsnite Traffic Copper

Joined: 19 Nov 2013 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:47 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Had 2 bikes, riding 2 years this month, done about 5k miles and not dropped or crashed *touching wood as i type*  ____________________ Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| WimbleHJR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 WimbleHJR Renault 5 Driver

Joined: 27 Oct 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Evil Hans |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Evil Hans World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Nov 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| pepperami |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 pepperami Super Spammer

Joined: 17 Jan 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| winz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 winz World Chat Champion

Joined: 05 Feb 2015 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 11:21 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Dropped the 125 while dismounting at the end of a long day's ride. Panniers and bars took it, no damage.
305 went rubber-side-up on black ice at walking pace. Panniers took it on the back, bent the front back into shape, no damage to self.
500 rolled of the sidestand on a hill while I watched and said "Didn't I leave it in gea-?". I guess that's a drop. No damage.
Dropped the Nazi Tractor doing a liberally non-committal u-turn to pick up my forgotten lunch (mushrooom Chinese curry). Crash bars took it, no damage.
Threw the Enfield down the road at jogging pace because herp a derp. Bent the footpeg, scuffed the crash bars and lever end. No damage to self beyond a very slightly hurty shoulder.
Bikes are unstable. They'll fall over unless something holds them up. But they don't fall over that often, and most offs are no more hurty than stepping off a pushbike badly.
Would your girlfriend shriek in horror if you said you were going pony trekking? If not, then she's got no business being concerned about the risks of biking. See my .sig - people's perceptions of risk tends to be badly messed up when it comes to 2 wheels and an engine. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| M.C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 M.C Super Spammer
Joined: 29 Sep 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Filtertron |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Filtertron L Plate Warrior
Joined: 23 Dec 2015 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| grr666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 grr666 Super Spammer

Joined: 16 Jun 2014 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:41 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Aaah, you've got it in the bag if your OH is a diver.
Mine is too, I won't even paddle never mind dive, I am not comfortable in the water. But our understanding is that if
she can do a life threatening thing, then so can I and the arrangement is that the other isn't allowed to go on
about the other ones dangerous pursuit. Works for us. ____________________ Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| supZ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 supZ World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Feb 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SteveSmith |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SteveSmith Nitrous Nuisance
Joined: 08 Nov 2012 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:40 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: Re: Dropping Out |
 |
|
| Filtertron wrote: | Hello everyone,
1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?
One low speed drop while turning around, one crash on a track day, one getting rammed from behind at a roundabout.
2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?
The first two were my fault, the last one (hit from behind) wasn't.
3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?
No damage from the low speed drop, minor damage to me and the bike but kit written off on the track day, bike written off at the roundabout crash.
I assume somebody might have asked these questions before (I saw the "spill counter") but I was trying to nail it to newbie riding, so if there's an existing thread then I'd appreciate a link or something?
I think if I had some answers to these questions then it might ease her mind a bit as she thinks my acceptance of the likelihood of dropping a bike is tantamount to making it inevitable!
A great, cheery way to start a Monday(!) |
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tamsin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tamsin World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Mar 2014 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Silver_Fox |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Silver_Fox World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jun 2015 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| dydey90 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 dydey90 World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rogerborg |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rogerborg nimbA

Joined: 26 Oct 2010 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 15:20 - 25 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oh, right, I had the Tractor fall onto me while I was on hands and knees doing something or other to it, while the engine was running as well.
There was a brief moment of "... and this is how he died. BCF will be proud," before I remembered that I'm a man, of sorts, and with a mighty thrust achieved an erection. ____________________ Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|