Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Dropping Out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Filtertron
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:37 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Dropping Out Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I was having a bit of a chat with my girlfriend over the weekend and she asked if I'd made my mind up about the bike I want when I pass my test. "Great" I thought, "She's taking a real interest in this."
I told her I was still not 100% sure but I was thinking of getting an "in-between" bike that I could use to get round on while I get some road experience. And anyway, I guess there's a chance I might drop it a couple of times. At that point she looked horrified and kind of withdrew from the conversation. Before we speak about it again, I was wondering about the statistics in this area.Which brings me to the real reason I am writing this.

I was wondering, of all those reading this post,

1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?
2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?
3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?

I assume somebody might have asked these questions before (I saw the "spill counter") but I was trying to nail it to newbie riding, so if there's an existing thread then I'd appreciate a link or something?

I think if I had some answers to these questions then it might ease her mind a bit as she thinks my acceptance of the likelihood of dropping a bike is tantamount to making it inevitable!

A great, cheery way to start a Monday(!)
____________________
I would never join a club that would have me as a member (Groucho Marx)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:45 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Dropping Out Reply with quote

Filtertron wrote:
1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?

Pretty much everyone will drop a bike when you're first starting out, when you're new you underestimate how much the bike weighs when it finally tips over.
Filtertron wrote:
2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?

I've come off on Diesel, Ice/Snow (Stupid to be riding on a side road in that weather), wet manhole covers, Gravel (Whilst practicing my emergency stop for my MOD1 that day, and I've hit a couple of cars as I was filtering (Woman closed the gap I was going through to get around a stopped taxi on a multi-lane road and I got jammed between her car and another. I don't believe it was my fault, but inexperience and a lack of anticipation certainly resulted in me not being able to avoid it.
I don't do "staying on" well.

Filtertron wrote:
3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?


Road rash on various parts of my body from falling off, deep bruises from banging the floor, lost my big toenail after booting the floor coming off (Thank god it grew back) - My bikes have been through the ringer and have had a lot of work done on them after I kept crashing.
____________________
Ted : "Maybe he's agoraphobic."
Dougal : "Jack scared of fighting? I don't think so, Ted."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes are heavy, people will drop heavy things if they aren't used to heaving heavy things about.
Wouldn't matter if it was a washing machine on a sack barrow, the weight and general bulk of the load is the issue.
I nearly dropped mine getting it out of the shed once but was able to stop it going over, if it's going to happen it will
probably be while the bikes being all slow and unwieldy, often when you are physically handling it in such a way
where your legs can't take the weight if it suddenly overbalances. Mines such a sod to put away that there's a lot
of handling getting it from road to storage space, including rolling it both down then up metal ramps, until my storage is
more convenient, I'll be sticking to relatively lightweight machines.
____________________
Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realise that a drop and a crash are different things, right?

A drop is generally 0-5mph, and anything above that is a crash.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of new riders drop their bike at slow speeds or when stationary. But I don't think that's what you're interested in.

Not as many are involved in crashes, be it their own fault or somebody else's.

Here's the thing, some people rack up a list of non fault accidents whilst others manage decades and hundreds of thousands of miles without any accidents. So just because a crash isn't your fault doesn't that you couldn't have avoided it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:34 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year 1:
- stopped behind a van (know not to do this now), it reversed into me

Year 2:
- 6 weeks after passing my test a van took me out whilst filtering* **
- dropped the heavy courtesy bike I had at about 5 mph*

Year 3 (although with a gap of not riding for about 8 months):
- clipped a van and went sliding down the road* **

* damaged bike
** damaged me

Bikes are dangerous, but also a lot of fun. You don't get the fun without the danger unfortunately. When you crash you will get hurt, luck and gear depends on whether it's bruising/grazing or something more serious.

For what it's worth I've still got a f**ked back and semi-f**ked knees from the crash after passing my test. On dark days I wonder why I took up riding, then I go for a ride and come back with a smile on my face and remember why.


Last edited by M.C on 10:37 - 25 Jan 2016; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

P.addy
Red Rocket



Joined: 14 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
For what it's worth I've still got a f**ked back and semi-f**ked knees from the crash after passing my test. On dark days I wonder why I took up riding, then I go for a ride and come back with a smile on my face and remember why.


Perhaps I need to get out and ride...

I am still rekt from an accident a few years ago Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:36 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
Shocked
Steer clear of vans seems to be a good plan?
____________________
Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper



Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 2 bikes, riding 2 years this month, done about 5k miles and not dropped or crashed *touching wood as i type* Very Happy
____________________
Triumph Street Triple-R
Sold: Honda Hornet CB600F-Y / Yamaha YBR125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 27 Oct 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped it once trying a U turn on a hill, leant over too much and couldn't stop it. Was a controlled(ish) drop but broke brake lever.

Had a accident 6 weeks after getting my first (and current) "big" bike. Riding on a dual carriageway in the rain. There is a middle section which allows people to pull on from a side road. Old lady pulled out without looking, I emergency stopped, lost the back end in the water and slid down the road. Had to replace fairing and handlebar.

Drop was my fault. Crash could have been avoided if I had a) been going slower, b) reacted differently and swerved past her c) didn't take a road home that is notoriously shit at shifting water.
____________________
YBR125, FZS600, FZ6 S2 F800ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:02 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time bouncing off things* on my moped** as an irresponsible youth***. Since returning to biking a few years ago, haven't dropped anything. Yet. Touch Wood. Etc.




*the ground, lamp-posts, Volvos

**East German. Indestructible.

*** Teenagers - also indestructible.
____________________
Triumph Sprint ST 1050. And it's Red.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer



Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me a long term biker who can say they have never dropped their bike and I`ll show you someone telling lies.
We`ve all stumbled, slipped, fallen, and bumped.
What we all seem to have in common is that we are all still here to tell the tale.
Some off us have bent or broken bits and most of us have healed.

Coming off at higher speeds seems to be the problem.

Most of us wear gear, and as a result we stay in one piece and alive.


My point being , if she is going to fluff and cluck about bikes, you need to convince her that it can be done safely.
____________________
I am the sum total of my own existence, what went before makes me who I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Dropping Out Reply with quote

I passed my test pretty much a year to the day. So in my limited time...

1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?
I did

2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?
I had a few ciders and needed to move the bike on my driveway. It was heavy and I underestimated the weight.

3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?

Scratched bar end, nothing else.

I nearly dropped the Blackbird at a junction because my clutch decided to dump it's fluid as I was going around the corner. Thankfully I just managed to get a foot down before it leant over too far. Gave my leg a proper workout.
____________________
Current Bikes: BMW K1200S
Previous: Honda CBR929RR, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda CB600F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:21 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped the 125 while dismounting at the end of a long day's ride. Panniers and bars took it, no damage.

305 went rubber-side-up on black ice at walking pace. Panniers took it on the back, bent the front back into shape, no damage to self.

500 rolled of the sidestand on a hill while I watched and said "Didn't I leave it in gea-?". I guess that's a drop. No damage.

Dropped the Nazi Tractor doing a liberally non-committal u-turn to pick up my forgotten lunch (mushrooom Chinese curry). Crash bars took it, no damage.

Threw the Enfield down the road at jogging pace because herp a derp. Bent the footpeg, scuffed the crash bars and lever end. No damage to self beyond a very slightly hurty shoulder.

Bikes are unstable. They'll fall over unless something holds them up. But they don't fall over that often, and most offs are no more hurty than stepping off a pushbike badly.

Would your girlfriend shriek in horror if you said you were going pony trekking? If not, then she's got no business being concerned about the risks of biking. See my .sig - people's perceptions of risk tends to be badly messed up when it comes to 2 wheels and an engine.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer



Joined: 29 Sep 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I am still rekt from an accident a few years ago Sad

I do feel like a pussy when I read about the accidents you & chickenstrip came back from Embarassed

grr666 wrote:
Steer clear of vans seems to be a good plan?

I've reached this conclusion as well, and most of my near misses seem to involve vans. Wondering if it's karma from being a van driver Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Filtertron
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Dropping and Crashing Reply with quote

Well that turned out to be a popular thread, and some really good replies so thanks to you all

I guess the key things I learned are;

1. A drop is not the same as a crash, and until I'm used to handling the bike at low speeds, it's probable that a drop will happen to me. Fortunately at low speeds it'll usually end up in minor damage to the bike rather than something serious to me.

2. Crashing is a good thing to avoid, and is as much related to decision making, observation and conditions is it is to stupidity or carelessness of other road users.

3. No matter how appropriate the weather is when I leave the house, I can't assume what the weather or conditions are like 50 miles away 4 hours later. That said though, road conditions outside of weather (diesel spills etc.) are out of our control so we just need to be aware of them.

4. I need to make my girlfriend aware of number '1'. She isn't risk averse (she's a diver) so I probably was just a bit too blasé about it.

Thanks to you all, and if you have some advice keep posting it here
____________________
I would never join a club that would have me as a member (Groucho Marx)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah, you've got it in the bag if your OH is a diver. Wink
Mine is too, I won't even paddle never mind dive, I am not comfortable in the water. But our understanding is that if
she can do a life threatening thing, then so can I and the arrangement is that the other isn't allowed to go on
about the other ones dangerous pursuit. Thumbs Up Works for us.
____________________
Currently enjoying products from Ford, Mazda and Yamaha
Ste wrote: Avatars are fine, it's signatures that need turning off. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Dropping and Crashing Reply with quote

Filtertron wrote:
She isn't risk averse (she's a diver)

She has a rubber outfit and can hold her breath for ages, you say? Thinking

Might want to pitch the training, processes and equipment angle.

Ultimately though, the people around you aren't going to get used to your not dying until you go out there and not die.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Dropping Out Reply with quote

Filtertron wrote:

1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?
2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?
3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?


1. Dropped my 1st bike before I even passed my test. Tried turning it around, not used to weight (I went straight to a 600, never had a 125) and just overbalanced. No damage - has crash protectors.

Never dropped my 2nd bike

Dropped my 3rd bike, the blade (was gutted, tiny tiny tiny dink on the engine casing but still...) pulling off the driveway. Accidentally stalled it and my foot went out awkwardly so couldn't hold it upright. Had to slowly lower it to the floor and roll off it.

Also had my dad park his bike next to mine, not on the sidestand properly and fall into my bike pushing it against the wall. Scuffed bar end and mirror which he replaced.

2. Noobie mistake and well yeh noobie mistake as detailed above

3. Due to crash protectors damage was always very minor. A bar end here, a scuffed mirror there..

end of the day ...

It happens. get crash protection and just accept it Smile
____________________
CBR954RR - Daily toy
CBR600RR - Trackbike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Dropping and Crashing Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Filtertron wrote:
She isn't risk averse (she's a diver)

She has a rubber outfit and can hold her breath for ages, you say? Thinking

Might want to pitch the training, processes and equipment angle add a nsfw tag to the thread.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SteveSmith
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:40 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Dropping Out Reply with quote

Filtertron wrote:
Hello everyone,

1. How many of you had dropped a bike in your first few years of riding?

One low speed drop while turning around, one crash on a track day, one getting rammed from behind at a roundabout.


2. Was this down to being a newbie or an accident caused by somebody else?

The first two were my fault, the last one (hit from behind) wasn't.

3. If you've had a number of drops, how many were (a) damaging to you, and (b) damaging to bike or equipment?

No damage from the low speed drop, minor damage to me and the bike but kit written off on the track day, bike written off at the roundabout crash.


I assume somebody might have asked these questions before (I saw the "spill counter") but I was trying to nail it to newbie riding, so if there's an existing thread then I'd appreciate a link or something?

I think if I had some answers to these questions then it might ease her mind a bit as she thinks my acceptance of the likelihood of dropping a bike is tantamount to making it inevitable!

A great, cheery way to start a Monday(!)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tamsin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

just coming up on 2 years riding...

0 crashes

1 drop when I overfilled the topbox in Tesco car park in July. Got the balance point wrong and everything just went wrong. No Damage to bike.

bike has fallen/been knocked over a few times.. which has resulted in cracked tail fairing and snapped clutch levers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Jun 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse parking?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never just dropped it. Having a test run on my half-built 125 I came back down the street too fast, the unsecured clocks slipped and jammed the bars, I foolishly deployed both anchors and slid it into the curb. Got a lovely burn on my ankle from where the exhaust pinned it to the floor.

Since then, the closest I've had is a few "oh shit" moments in car parks on my ER6 where I've been waddling backwards to leave and I've done the splits on loose gravel. Also nearly dropped the ZZR on myself in the garage when the front axle bolt put up too much of a fight, but I caught it and heaved it back upright, just like Hercules would.
____________________
This post is probably not serious and shouldn't be taken literally.
Past: CBR125,ER6f NINJA 650, ZZR600 Current: VFR750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA



Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, I had the Tractor fall onto me while I was on hands and knees doing something or other to it, while the engine was running as well.

There was a brief moment of "... and this is how he died. BCF will be proud," before I remembered that I'm a man, of sorts, and with a mighty thrust achieved an erection.
____________________
Biking is 1/20th as dangerous as horse riding.
GONE: HN125-8, LF-250B, GPz 305, GPZ 500S, Burgman 400 // RIDING: F650GS (800 twin), Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 500 AVL, Ninja 250R because racebike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.99 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.94 Kb