|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:01 - 27 Jan 2016 Post subject: Would you opt for an 11yr old Sportsbike shock? |
 |
|
Recently measured rider sag on 2013 ST and found it's around 43mm front (no adjustment possible) and 41 rear with the preload maxed out.
From what I've read, if you can't close the sag to nearer 30mm before maxing out the preload then you probably need a heavier spring.
The internets imply the ST has a rear shock spring of 11.28kg/mm and race-tech reckon my weight and bike require 12.44kg/mm
The standard Daytona shock from 2010 is 12.65kg/mm and a straight swap. It is considered a harsh ride by most (but I suspect that's because they are not 16st like I am). People also seem to think the compression and rebound damping are poor. 1 click off max and it does nothing, set to max and you understeer everywhere. Doesn't sound great, but I'm not taking it as Gospel.
Have seen a zero mile example for £225
Standard
Shock Length: 290mm
Spring Rate: 11.28 kg/mm
Top Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
Bottom Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
Daytona 675 (straight swap)
Shock Length: 295mm
Spring Rate: 12.6 kg/mm
Top Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
Bottom Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
£225 (0 miles)
Street Triple R (straight swap)
Shock Length: 295mm
Spring Rate: 12.1kg
Top Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
Bottom Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
£130 (8k miles)
'05 5VY R1 (straight swap)
Shock Length: 300mm
Spring Rate: 11.00 kg/mm
Top Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
Bottom Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
£85 (10k miles)
'14+ YZF-R1 (requires the top mount to be replaced for the Yamaha one, part is cheap, often with the shock, but fitting requires fuel tank removal and some twin metal pipe thingy with locknut adjusters is in the way that I don't know what its for).
Shock Length: 300 mm
Spring Rate: 11.00 kg/mm
Top Bushing Mount Width: 32 mm
Bottom Bushing Mount Width: 30 mm
£120 (including mounting bracket - 1k miles)
'07+ CBR600R (requires bolt changes, spacers and a bit of a ballache, but generally well received, I'm not really considering this option)
Shock Length: 293 mm
Spring Rate: 11.00 kg/mm
Top Bushing Mount Width: 26 mm
Bottom Bushing Mount Width: 39 mm
£70 + £10 on spacers and bolts
The thing is, the spring rates of all the sportsbikes are even lower than what I currently (allegedly) have. What gives?
Are all R1 riders 11st? Surely if I bought the R1 shock, I'd need it re-spring to the 12-12.5kg/mm
The shock on the ST is budget, but would a 2005 R1 shock be any better? In my head I just assume it would be, and looking at the 2014 version it doesn't visually look much different to 2005.
Probably the Daytona and STR shocks are the ones to try, but been looking on ebay for a couple of weeks and there aren't that many which claim / look low mileage.
Then just to add to things, I read someone who actually tested the spring rate of the ST and it came in at 8kg/mm significantly less than claimed, and would make the 11kg/mm of the R1 not seem such a crazy option.
I've contacted Maxton, Ktech, and even eibach. Only Maxton came back with options for this year of the ST, the other companies confirmed they did not make products for the >=2012 ST.
Maxton front forks were new cartridges (non-adjustable) for £420, or £600 for adjustable.
Adjustable rear shock was £720
I'm sure their products are excellent, however I very much doubt I have enough skill to appreciate them at this stage.
Something to allow some tinkering and with a bit more quality than standard is what I'm after, not Ohlins TTX
Thoughts? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| wr6133 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 wr6133 World Chat Champion
Joined: 31 Dec 2013 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Scythe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Scythe Crazy Courier
Joined: 24 Jul 2010 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 23:29 - 27 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Cool, will take a look at both, thanks  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:43 - 28 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Strangely, having looked for Daytona shocks on ebay for a month or so, 4 possibles were on there now.
So went with a 2011 model, looks in OK condition but will soon see.
A straight swap with what I have and crucially (according to Racetech) the correct spring weight for my lardy arse
Adds 5mm to the rear height (something I liked about the R model over the ST) and I get to tit about with damping.
Front forks, I'll leave alone, I might try 7.5w and reducing the airgap by 5mm.
Fingers crossed. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:18 - 28 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
No I wouldn't.
After recfent experience, I'd phone Wilbers and tell them my bike, how heavy I am, how I ride and what I take on the bike. I'd then buy what they suggest and set it up how they recommend.
I'd do the same with the fork springs because sag isn't just the shock. Both wheels need to be on the road. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| CaNsA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 CaNsA Super Spammer

Joined: 02 Jan 2008 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:55 - 28 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've spent more on brakes and suspension on my current main bike that I paid for the whole bike.
Totally worth it.
Very few bikes have more power than their chassis can cope with. Very few riders can use all the power their bike can give them anyway. Most of us could go round corners better. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| evoboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 evoboy World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Aug 2009 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jjdugen |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jjdugen World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Jun 2011 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| chris-red |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 chris-red Have you considered a TDM?

Joined: 21 Sep 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Old Git Racing |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Old Git Racing World Chat Champion
Joined: 08 Aug 2009 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:10 - 28 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is another reason I enjoy asking questions in BCF rather than model specific forums, because the answers reveal a lot more useful information about how things work in general. And are another reminder how little I know or understand.
I think the Wilbers / Hagon / Maxton route is something I'm now focused on if my Daytona purchase turns out to be a dog.
Like I said, the Daytona shock from essentially the same bike, it even has the same drop & drag links. It's the same shock used in the STR, just with a slightly stiffer spring.
If I had my time again, I'd have gone for the STR, but I didn't. Which is going to leave me with a little headache over what to do about the front. And without buying the whole frontend of an STR there aren't many options except Maxton's new adjustable cartridges which is £700 and £150 to fit them because if going down that route, I'm going there in person with the bike to get it done properly. And if I'm doing that, I'm getting the rear done too.
Another possibility is looking at the cost of upgrading the front / rear suspension and the cost of trading my bike in for an STR....... would be like selling a member of the family though
If Triumph are going to release a new ST(+R etc) in 2017, then maybe I'll just hang on and start saving now. Either using the cash to pay towards the difference in price of this bike to a new model STR in 2017, or paying a visit to Maxton and getting this one sorted.
Either way, better start saving  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mjn51 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mjn51 Traffic Copper
Joined: 04 Feb 2011 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kawasaki Jimbo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kawasaki Jimbo World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Oct 2015 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| temeluchus |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 temeluchus World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:08 - 30 Jan 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Matt B |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Matt B World Chat Champion

Joined: 01 May 2012 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Pigeon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Pigeon World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Sep 2012 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:20 - 01 Feb 2016 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well, I decided I couldn't take her out knowing it wasn't at the same setting as the STR. I wanted to remove the 5.5mm of extra spacers I'd put in on top of the Daytona's 4mm.
So I got the Dremel out and cued the music
Spent about 5 hours taking a little out at a time from the undertray, then re-torquing the shock to check, then taking it out again and repeating.
On the 4th attempt I think I cracked it, no gaps all the way round where I'd cut. Then I decided I wanted a small gap to prove the shock wasn't be restricted. So had a 5th run at it. Shaved too much in one place, got a hole now
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/160130%20-%20Shock%20and%20Awe/20160131_160456.resized_zpsuvfybmcj.jpg
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/160130%20-%20Shock%20and%20Awe/20160131_192312.resized_zpspaxc5iwb.jpg
It could have gone better (I should have bought a >=2013 shock!!)
But really pleased with the result so far
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/160130%20-%20Shock%20and%20Awe/20160130_163809.resized_zpslqzegj8h.jpg
https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/160130%20-%20Shock%20and%20Awe/20160131_192247.resized_zps7xpdkxko.jpg
On the old rear shock at max preload:
Static Sag on the front was 31.5
Rider Sag on the front was 43
Static Sag on rear was 2.6
Rider Sag on rear was 41
On the new rear shock at about 60% preload:
Static Sag on the front now 28 (which I did not expect)
Rider Sag on the front now 43
Static Sag on the rear now 8
Rider Sag on the rear now 36
I sat on the bike a bit and it felt ok, clearly firmer and a bit higher.
I've just got the 4mm Daytona spacer in there.
From the edge end of the swingarm to the bottom of my indicator has gone up 25mm, which should mean the seat height is up around 20mm I guess, which is the difference between the ST and STR.
Will measure seat height next weekend before taking her out.
If I don't like it, then I think there is enough room to take out the 4mm spacer and swap it with a 2.7mm one. Don't think it's possible to have no spacer.
It felt ok in the garage, but I need 60mins on the road to know for sure.
Also now need to adjust topbox bracket down a bit. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 10 years, 246 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|