Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


KSR GRS 125cc Headlight Issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

geeewar
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: KSR GRS 125cc Headlight Issue Reply with quote

First time posting so be cool ya'll Surprised

I have just purchased a KSR GRS 125 and TBH this is an extremely well built bike. It is super smooth on the road and, although it is still 'running in' the engine is very responsive. It is also a very big bike and feels a lot bigger than a 125. I am 6'4" btw so I needed something like this design and build.
Anyway, my issue is driving at night : To keep it simple it is SCARY, VERY SCARY. The headlight is very poor with extremely limited visibility. I would say I have about 20 metres visibility. I drive on very dark roads so I am hoping to upgrade the headlight system. I had hope to fit a Phillips Xtreme 130 but these will get too hot and melt the lens apparently. The guy at AAA bikes in Paisley has no ideas, so I am hoping that any veterans out there can maybe shed some light ( excuse the pun ) on my issue ? Many thanks in advance, Big Gezza
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:48 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it, so I assume it's Chinese.

First off, sort out the beam angle. It could just be adjusted to point too low.

Next, replace the bulb for a normal power bulb from a known manufacturer. The chances are it currently has something very cheap and shit in there.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer



Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 10 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your money, adjust the headlight as Robby says. I run cheap bulbs and I can see alright.

Just my curiosity, does the motorcycle even have 12v electrics? If you've got 6v electrics and you put a 12v bulb there, the bulb will be very, very dim. Googling around, it does look rather modern, so I'd assume it was a 12v system. Anyway, check what wattage the bulb is supposed to be. If you put there a higher wattage bulb, the wiring could melt and even cause fire. Wink

I'd do:
1) check the light adjustment
2) check your eyesight (some people can't see in dark)
____________________
'87 Honda XBR 500, '96 Kawasaki ZX7R P1, '90 Honda CB-1, '88 Kawasaki GPz550, MZ 150 ETZ
'95 Mercedes-Benz w202 C200 CGI, '98 Mercedes-Benz w210 E200 Kompressor
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

geeewar
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 11 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for these tips guys I really appreciate it. I think you might be onto something about the adjustment. I will get it stripped down. As for the voltage system I have to say I am unsure. I will look into that also. I am indeed a novice :O)

Muchos gracias
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FubarUK
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 29 Feb 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi geeewar,

So how did this work out in the end? I'm picking up a KSR GRS this weekend and then one thing I've thought of doing is putting in a brighter headlight bulb. Was it difficult to do?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisjose1913
Nova Slayer



Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 05 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be 12volt, the KSR GRS 125 is a fairly new bike on the market. Based on the KTM duke 125.


That said before you look at a new bulb it's worth trying to adjust the light first. is it's still poor then it may be worth looking at a better bulb.
____________________
1997 CB500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 219 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 47.26 Kb